HP 9830A new replacement keycap sets: any interest?

Hello,

I am interested in making a set of replacement keycaps for the 9830A.  The Cherry MX SA profile keys from SIgnature Plastics fit (with some pressure), and  their color palette has some close matches.  If I can order 5 sets, the cost would be about $113 per set (not counting the wide, short keys in the top two rows).  If I can order 10, the cost goes down to about $92/set.

The lead times are ridiculously long, 18 months at the moment, but 18 months will go by anyway, and it might be nice to have a fresh keycap set of the 9830 at the end of that time.

I have had keycaps made for the Sol-20, and they look really nice.  Here is an example to get an idea how the keys look.  (don't judge by the few inaccuracies in that replica keyboard--those have been corrected since).  The colors and text would of course be a close match to the 9830A

Any interest?

Paul Birkel

Those do look nice!  I'm curious whether you repainted that SOL-20 chassis?  If so, what paint did you use?  It looks like a pretty good match from what I can see "from here" :->.

Actually, in that photo, the blue background is an ESD mat.  It is a nice shade of blue though!

I fully spec'd out the order, and got a more precise quote from SIgnature Platics

$131.79/set for an order of 5 sets
$102.06/set for an order of 10 sets

The lead time is holding at 18 months, and they are requesting payment up front.  Signature Plastics is no fly-by-night operation.  They have been around a long time and made keycaps for many of the vintage machines out there (but not HP, I imagine).  I trust these keycaps will be delivered as promised, despite the crazy lead time.

I will want 2 sets, and will probably go forward with the 5-set order, unless there is sufficient interest to order at least 4 more sets.  Would anyone like to commit to a set?

The

Stan

Hi Dave,

Please put me down for one set.

Thanks,

Stan

I fully spec'd out the order, and got a more precise quote from SIgnature Platics

$131.79/set for an order of 5 sets
$102.06/set for an order of 10 sets

The lead time is holding at 18 months, and they are requesting payment up front.  Signature Plastics is no fly-by-night operation.  They have been around a long time and made keycaps for many of the vintage machines out there (but not HP, I imagine).  I trust these keycaps will be delivered as promised, despite the crazy lead time.

I will want 2 sets, and will probably go forward with the 5-set order, unless there is sufficient interest to order at least 4 more sets.  Would anyone like to commit to a set?

The

I would like to take one set.
Marc

So far that's two sets here, maybe two more by another member, and two for me.  In that case, it may be better to order 10 sets.  That brings down the cost quite a bit.

Just to be clear, this will not include the small rectangular function keys along the top two rows of the keyboard.  Also, the spacebar has a convex surface rather than a concave surface as on the original.

For all those interested, can you send me an private email so we can make arrangements?

Many thanks,

Dave

nigel adams

Does anyone know if HP85 keycaps can be sourced?

So far that's two sets here, maybe two more by another member, and two for me.  In that case, it may be better to order 10 sets.  That brings down the cost quite a bit.

Just to be clear, this will not include the small rectangular function keys along the top two rows of the keyboard.  Also, the spacebar has a convex surface rather than a concave surface as on the original.

For all those interested, can you send me an private email so we can make arrangements?

Many thanks,

Dave

The HP85 uses different keys, made by stackpole or hi-tek.  It doesn't appear that signature plastics makes a compatible stem, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

pdaguytom

Wanted to check to see if there were any sets not accounted for.  Just received a new to me HP 9830a that arrived with the W & F keycaps destroyed.

Thanks,
Tom