Topics

HP 9000 Series 300 Model 340 terminal access?

Anders

Assuming a HP 9000 Series 300 Model 340 can one access it from a serial terminal, either over the serial port or the LAN port?

HP-UX can be run from a terminal, IIRC correct you can boot from a terminal, but you need to change one or more jumpers or settings depending which system you have. Workstation basic (RMB) needs a video board and monitor to run.

-Rik

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 1:54 PM +0200, "Anders" <anders.gustafsson@...> wrote:

Assuming a HP 9000 Series 300 Model 340 can one access it from a serial terminal, either over the serial port or the LAN port?

Anders

OK. Thanks

Image

You should check the HP-UX Installing Peripherals manual.

-Rik

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 2:24 PM +0200, "Anders" <anders.gustafsson@...> wrote:

OK. Thanks

Anders

As well as the manual for the actual system I guess :)

Yep

-Rik

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 3:04 PM +0200, "Anders" <anders.gustafsson@...> wrote:

As well as the manual for the actual system I guess :)

Anders

Then I just decide whether to boot HP-UX or BASIC, right?

Yes, at boot time the system shows all bootable systems so you can choose what to boot.

-Rik

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 3:31 PM +0200, "Anders" <anders.gustafsson@...> wrote:

Then I just decide whether to boot HP-UX or BASIC, right?

bernhard_wulf

Dear All,

pls. allow me to recycle the subject and to extend the question a bit…

Have a HP9000-340 myself, the SCSI disk inside was broken and I had no chance to get a final image.

How to reinstall the OS (or OSes) to get to the point described before "system shows all bootable systems so you can choose what to boot”?

What kind of SCSI media is needed to fulfil the requirements?

Where to get the media to install from scratch?

Btw. have an Async Mux 98642A with 2 (two) DIP switches (the well documented 8 pole one, called SW2 ) and additionally a 4 pole DIP switch (called SW1)…
Didn’t found any info about the purpose of SW1 (the 4 pole DIP), any hints on that one available somewhere?
The mux is creating an error on the selftest, wrong configuration could be the reason.
Are schematic for the two DIP switch board available?

Appreciate your help.

Stay healthy.

Bernhard

Bernhard Wulf

Anders

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 05:16 PM, Rik Bos wrote:
Yes, at boot time the system shows all bootable systems so you can choose what to boot.
Pretty much like a HP200-series then.

Anders

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 06:36 PM, bernhard_wulf wrote:
How to reinstall the OS (or OSes) to get to the point described before "system shows all bootable systems so you can choose what to boot”?
Hit any key whilst booting. That will precent it from booting automatically. It should present you with a list of media that it deems bootable. You should be able to boot from a physical floppy or a floppy emulator.

Yes, they're both 68k systems with Dio I/o and using the same family boot ROMs.

-Rik

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 5:43 PM +0200, "Anders" <anders.gustafsson@...> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 05:16 PM, Rik Bos wrote:
Yes, at boot time the system shows all bootable systems so you can choose what to boot.
Pretty much like a HP200-series then.

Installing HP-UX is possible from tape (9144/45) or CDROM (SCSI). If you need an image let me know.

-Rik

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 5:44 PM +0200, "Anders" <anders.gustafsson@...> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 06:36 PM, bernhard_wulf wrote:
How to reinstall the OS (or OSes) to get to the point described before "system shows all bootable systems so you can choose what to boot”?
Hit any key whilst booting. That will precent it from booting automatically. It should present you with a list of media that it deems bootable. You should be able to boot from a physical floppy or a floppy emulator.

Anders

I guess that RCA-connector on the back is composite video?

Yes, but the resolution is a bit odd.
A standard monitor will have some difficulty to display the picture. But you can replace it by a highres board (topcat)

-Rik

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 5:52 PM +0200, "Anders" <anders.gustafsson@...> wrote:

I guess that RCA-connector on the back is composite video?

Anders

That is a common problem with many vintage computers. Few modern monitors support slower horizontal rates, but I have one of those magic cards that accepts just about any signal and drives a VGA TFT. Any idea what the horizontal and vertical rates of that signal is?

Wolfgang Schraml

I use one of these to connect my 9000/300 to a standard VGA monitor:
GBS-8200 Video converter (Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IBJCAIG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_M--9Db1GDPP2W).

Works fine.

Good luck!
Wolfgang, KI7PFX

Anders

Yup. It is identical to what I have. Have used it in the past with my BigBoard II CP/M computer. Thanks for the verification.

Bruce

Which color board wereyou using in the 9000/300 - oneof the ones with the 24KHz H rate?
How does the video look compared to a "native" monitor (In your opinion)

Quoting Wolfgang Schraml <wschraml@...>:

I use one of these to connect my 9000/300 to a standard VGA monitor:
GBS-8200 Video converter (Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IBJCAIG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_M--9Db1GDPP2W).

Works fine.

Good luck!
Wolfgang, KI7PFX

Image

I'm using a sync separator to convert the signal to VGA.

-Rik