Topics

HP 9000 Controller 382 help needed (HP-UX)

Peter

Hi all,

I need some help with a HP 9000 Model 382, I got it from a closed meterological lab to save it from being recycled.
It was running there until 2015 or so, with some measurement euipment connected ( which I did not get).
The system is running HP-UX 9.1 with some patches installed (seems to know about year 2000++).
But I did not get the password.
I did not find a way to get in single user mode by pressing anything at bootup.
All sugestions on the internet seem to fit for series 700, not 300. Is there a known way to get around the pw?
To enter single user mode?

My other plan is to boot it from another disk, and mount the original disk, replace
the passwd file. My unix days are long way back, can anyone give me some hints how to mount the second disk/volume?

I have a running system with HP/UX 9.1 (without patches, where to get them?) on a 1GB disk.

-Peter

Mark Bielman

Hello Peter,

When I worked at HP in those days, I discovered a "bug" in HP-UX that provided a way around this.
I think they fixed it on later versions but not sure when that happened. (maybe prior to 9.x - not sure)

When the system is booting, kill the power. When you restart it, it should begin fsck (or whatever the
disc check program is). Immediately hit CTRL-C (break) to kill it. At this point you should be su (super user).
Then you can open the password file (/etc) and simply remove the contents of the password field(s).

Restart again, let fsck finish and you should be able to log in as any user that you erased the password.
Typically root as a 1st test.

Give this a try... it might work.

Good luck!

Mark

Peter

Hi Mark,

no success, I tried it twice, with CTRL-C and CTRL-Break, right after the fschk started, and from there on every second or so.

It is a 9.1 with patches, at least for the year 2000 bug.

Any other hints?

Thanks
Peter

Mark Bielman

Hi Peter,

No not really. I recall the timing was critical. Perhaps try it before fschk actually starts?
As I mentioned, when I pointed out this bug, they fixed it. (damn!) That'll teach me.

The other option would be to use hpdrive (I think it is) on a PC w/HPIB (GPIB) card and
have the 9.1 image there and boot from that. I have done this but it's been years ago.

Mark

Achim Buerger

Peter,

there is a HP-UX 9.0 image available from hpmuseum.net: http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=525 for use with hpdrive. Maybe that helps.

Achim

Stephen Hanselman

I can’t remember if 9.1 used shadow passwords or not so that might throw a wrench in your plan.  I’d do what you’re talking about and mount the disc on another system then edit the passwd file and add a user with root privileges.  Then boot that disc, sign on as the new user and change the password of root.

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

On Sep 19, 2019, at 08:10, Peter <petersson@...> wrote:

[...]

I also found HP-UX 9.0 install discs for 300/400 in my shelf and the 9.01 Y2K patch. I could make images of these.

Achim

rmb_guru

Here are some additional key sequences you can try to boot into single user mode on a HP382 running HP-UX 9.1:

Please try:

- Let the system boot.

- When the system is fully booted, power it off, i.e. do *not* do a
  shutdown(1M).

- Power-up.

- Because the system was not properly shutdown, it will start to
  fsck(1M) the disk(s).

- Before, when and after fsck is running, i.e. before and after the
  "/etc/bcheckrc:" (note colon) message, *repeatedly* type:

  - CTRL-\, i.e. press-and-hold the "CTRL" key and press the "\" key.
    If that does not work, then start over and try:

  - DEL, i.e. press-and-hold the "Shift" key and press the ESC/DEL key,
    If that does not work, then start over and try:

  - CTRL-C, i.e. press-and-hold the "CTRL" key and press the "C" key,

- For a default system, this will hopefully abort the boot process or/
  and fsck and will hopefully give you a "(in bcheckrc)# " prompt. If
  so, you are in single user mode.

  I hope this helps. If it does, then please report which of the 'magic'
characters (CTRL-\ or DEL or CTRL-C)) worked

The above instructions are courtesy of Frank Slootweg (originally from 2008)

I believe the CTRL-\ will be the sequence that will work for you.  Let us know...

Peter

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 01:25 AM, rmb_guru wrote:
sequence that will work for you.  Let us know...
Thanks, rmb_guru, I will try if my current setup will not work. I do not want to crash and start it to often.

Currently I have it running from another disk with hp-ux 9.1, and both disk are available.
Boot disk is /dev/rdsk/cEd0s0   (HP C2235)
The disk from the system with the unknown password is /dev/rdsk/cEd6s0   (MICROP 1528)
Both are SCSI disks.
Before I read all the manuals about the device naming in hp-ux, can someone please
tell me how to mount the second disk?
Thanks
Peter

Peter

I'm in !

first I made a directory \new to mount the disk there: md /new
I had to do a fsck first: fsck /dev/dsk/cEd6s0
then mount it: mount /dev/dsk/cEd6s0 /new
then rename the passwd file in \new\etc\ to passwd.bak
then copy \etc\passwd to \new\etc\

After a clean reboot with the C2235 disk as the only one connected I was able to log in.

Thanks for the help. I will not try the ctl-C or break method, I do not want to risk the system by shutting it down hard and doing fsck over and over again.

-Peter

Mark Bielman

EXCELLENT!