A-Series default select codes? #HP1000

Chris Hanson

Now that I’m setting up a little A-Series system, I haven’t been able to find information about the default configuration to use for the A-Series boards with RTE-A. I’m surprised not to see this in the manuals, even as an aside like “Shown is the

I’m wondering what I should set for the default select codes to for:

1. 12009-60020 HP-IB
2. 12076 Ethernet
3. 12040D 8-port async serial multiplexer
4. 12065 video output & (serial) human interface input

Also, what should I use as the default HP-IB address? I also assume I should configure the 12009 for high-speed use since I’m planning to use HPDrive for storage. (Mainly due to the insane eBay prices on a 12016 SCSI card and bulkhead cabling…)

— Chris

Glen Slick

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 3:26 PM Chris Hanson <cmhanson@eschatologist.net> wrote:

Now that I’m setting up a little A-Series system, I haven’t been able to find information about the default configuration to use for the A-Series boards with RTE-A. I’m surprised not to see this in the manuals, even as an aside like “Shown is the

I’m wondering what I should set for the default select codes to for:

1. 12009-60020 HP-IB
2. 12076 Ethernet
3. 12040D 8-port async serial multiplexer
4. 12065 video output & (serial) human interface input

Also, what should I use as the default HP-IB address? I also assume I should configure the 12009 for high-speed use since I’m planning to use HPDrive for storage. (Mainly due to the insane eBay prices on a 12016 SCSI card and bulkhead cabling…)
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/1000/RTE-A/
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/1000/RTE-A/92077-90038_RTE-A_PrimInst.pdf

RTE-A Primary System Software Installation Manual, 92077-90038

Page 2-2, Table 2-1, Primary System Hardware Configuration Requirements
If the system disk is HP-IB, the HP-IB interface should be SC 27, the
HP-IB address of the system disk should be 2. Also, if installing from
an HP-IB tape drive, use the same HP-IB interface at SC 27, and the
HP-IB address of the tape drive depends on the type of the HP-IB tape
drive.

Page B-2, Table B-1, Primary System Configuration
A 12040 D-Mux should be SC 30,
A 12040 B-Mux or C-Mux should be SC 23

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/1000/RTE-A/
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/1000/RTE-A/92077-90034_RTE-A_SysGen.pdf

RTE-A System Generation and Installation Manual, 92077-90034

Page G-1, System Generation Answer File

The first half of the PRIMARY.ANS file for the pre-built primary
system does not include 12076 support. The second half example answer
file has an example SC of 37 for the 12076. Unless I missed it, the
example answer file has no mention at all of the 12065.

RE: Insane eBay prices for a 12016 SCSI card. Yep they seldom appear
there, which favors the seller over the buyer. That's one of the
reasons why buying one of Jesse's complete A990 systems containing a
12016 SCSI card at his discounted price was a decent deal. If you're
very patient and wait a couple of years you might see one show up
closer to the $200 - $300 range, or maybe not.

Stephen Hanselman

I’d have to look for the rest but the 1st HPIB is 27

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

On Jun 26, 2021, at 15:26, Chris Hanson <cmhanson@...> wrote:

[...]

A side note about the 12040 D-MUX:

The Communicator/1000 for Software Update 6.2, 5963-4402, April 1995
manual says that the original VCP firmware release for the A400 was
Revision 4020, which is required for the D-MUX console. If you have an
A600/A600+ CPU you may have a VCP firmware release earlier than
Revision 4020, in which case you should update the VCP EPROMs if you
want to use the D-MUX console.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040220155805/http://www.hp.com/products1/rte/tech_support/
5963-4402.pdf

If you happen to have a 12101 A600 CPU instead of a 12105 A600+ CPU
you may have some difficulty trying to get a pre-built primary system
version of RTE-A running on it as the 12101 A600 CPU does not
implement some instructions in its microcode that the other CPUs do.
The primary system is generated with the A700 RPL70, which would need
to be changed to the RPL60 for the 12101 A600 CPU. I have not yet
gotten around to regenerating a system with RPL60 to try on a 12101
A600 CPU. Maybe it is some of the missing double integer instructions
(.DMP, .DDI, .DDIR) that causes an issue.

Achim Buerger

Chris,

if you have a running RTE-A system, there should be a system generation answer file, which contains many standard select codes. In the Primary System Answer File 92077-10056 for RTE-A Rev. 6200 one finds:

HP-IB disc: SC 27B
12076A 802.3 LAN: SC 37B
12040 Rev D 8-channel MUX: SC 30B

The 12065 is not mentioned in this Answer file but is configured in my current A400 RTE-A with SC 33B

Roland Dietiker

Chris,
Please note: for the 12016A SCSI IF at Select Code (SC) 27B is the default Disk Address 6 instead of HP-IB Disks on 2. HP-IB also SC 27B. B means octal, (Original HP1000 Notation).

With A990 you could overwrite the defaults with VCPSetString in the NVRAM.

As long you deal with Virtual Control Panel (VCP), the VCP Bit Switch setting on the serial Interface (12005A/B, 12040A-D or OBIO is responsible for communication. Port0 on 12040A-D, Port A on OBIO of the A400.
For running Bootex and Operating System Environment, the SC of the generated Lu 1 is responsible for communcation, if any.
That means, the VCP Bit setting on the interface has no more influence after VCP launched the generated System.

Roland
[...]

Thanks so much for all the advice!

It sounds like I should set up my A400 like so:

  • RAM & CPU
  • 12009: 27
  • 12040D: 30
  • 12076: 37
  • 12065: 33 (since that’s what Achim is using)

Does that seem like the right prioritization? Mass storage at the highest priority, then terminals, then networking, and finally display & serial human interface devices?

I’m still working at getting HPDrive set up, unfortunately. Windows 95 is not the most cooperative environment.

  — Chris

Glen Slick

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 4:46 PM Chris Hanson <cmhanson@eschatologist.net> wrote:

Thanks so much for all the advice!

It sounds like I should set up my A400 like so:

RAM & CPU
12009: 27
12040D: 30
12076: 37
12065: 33 (since that’s what Achim is using)
Is there any particular reason why you would be using a 12040D MUX
with an A400 for now instead of just using the A400 OBIO for the
console?

Maybe the 12040D MUX provides higher throughput and/or lower system
utilization? I've probably seen some documentation on 12040D MUX
performance in the past that I don't have a reference for handy at the
moment.

Chris Hanson

On Jun 28, 2021, at 6:02 PM, Glen Slick <glen.slick@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there any particular reason why you would be using a 12040D MUX
with an A400 for now instead of just using the A400 OBIO for the
console?
Oh, I plan to use the OBIO for console, I’m just thinking about attaching additional terminals or other RS-232 devices, at least for demo purposes. Though I suspect I’ll need a lot more RAM to handle more than a couple users, especially with Ethernet. (Since I guess I need enough RAM to be able to be able to dedicate a couple MB to ARPA/1000, right?)

— Chris

Roland Dietiker

Hi Chris,
This configuration is useful if you boot the original RTE-A Primary System.
The select codes (octal notation) are in line with the primary system (except the 12065A which is not defined there and 33B provocate no conflict with other SC's) , that means, that you can also use this for testing purpose use.

If you use an another configuration, you have first to check this system configuration for Lu 1 Interface Type and boot Disk Interface, Address and Layout.

boot process simplified:
A) VCP> is invoked by the interface where VCP bit is set (and BREAK enabled)
B) With %BDCxyz VCP loads the first BOOTEX (residing on the requested disk address x, Unit y [0 for disk]), Interface z in the memory and launch it. Default: HP-IB: %BDC2027 or SCSI %bdc6027, number are octal.
C) BOOTEX points to the volume of the Bootdisk where the BOOT.CMD, SYSTEM-, SNAP- and (optional WELCOMEx.CMD ) Files are places (Default on /SYSTEM/), the case of the FMGR Boot Cartridge is different due the filenames are reduced to 6 characters.
D) BOOTEX launch the BOOT.CMD and places the Operating System in the Memory below and above the BOOTEX area based on SYSTEM and SNAP File (Using DATAPAIR/1000 (Disk Mirroring) is a special topic and not covered here).
E) BOOTEX launch the commands from BOOT.CMD File like mount Disk Cartridges and other System parameter (Default Diretory: /SYSTEM/ /PROGRAMS/). It provides also the starting Environment für optional - but most used WELCOMEx.CMD. It allocates also the Swapfile, Time Slice Quantum and so on. More Details: System Generation and Installation Manual.

The BOOTEX points to the starting Disk Volume. The BOOTEX points also to the Lu 1 (System Console) not to the VCP enabled Terminal Interface.
This means, you could start the boot process with VCP, but if the VCP-enabled Interface is not the same as in the BOOTEX or SYSTEM configured Lu 1, you will get a blank screen after Bullet D, because the Lu 1 is now defined by configured HW in the BOOTEX and Operating System.

Concerning order priority of the Interfaces:
If you build a realtime process controller with the HP1000, the highest priority slot should be used by the hardware interrupt driven interface, but in your case, it does n't matter. So feel free for the interface order, adjacent to the Memory card(s).

Memory Rules A400 (similar to A600, A600+ A700 with Memory Controller):
The A400 contains a Memory Controller and 512KB on board, if you have additional 12103x Memory boards, it is recommended to fill with 512kB Parity Memory Array card 12103C to 1MB and continue with the other boards. (512kB (A400) + 512kB (12103C) + 1MB). If the 1203C is not installed you will lose 512kB of the 1MB board (12103D).
12103K-L (2MB-8MB) boards does not apply this rule and can be added to the 512kB of the A400 directly.

Concerning Systemconsole:
The original bootable RTE-A PRIMARY SYSTEM uses a special mechanism which deals with the Terminal interfaces (which Card of 12005A/B, 12040A-D or A400 OBIO has set the VCP switch for taking this as system console [Lu 1]).

This is not applicable for general generated systems and BOOTEX. You have to know on which Select Code/Interface the Lu 1 was gened (and if one generated in...), otherwise the sreen will stay blank after the VCP launch the BOOTEX.
For example:
If you boot the RTE-A from HP Museum (hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=495) HPDRIVE Image:
I guess, but I have not tried: It is mandatory to have 12005A/B card as Systemconsole at SC 20B. Otherwise the screen will stay empty after VCP invokes the boot process.

Ethernet and Memory:
Depending of the Services (NS/1000 includes DS/1000, or ARPA/1000 Services only) minimal 2 MB are recommended. DS/1000 Services are useful with other HP1000/HP3000, including RTE-6/VM. Due 21MX does not support Ethernet, the communication works over Point to Point with the 12044A or 12007B (Modem or direct connection) PSI Interfaces. For the HP3000 are HP12073A and 12082A Interfaces needed.
In fact, HP12073A is the same as 12007B, 12042B, 12043A,12075A, and 12082A is the same as 12044A, the EPROM based Firmware differs only.

With NS/1000 it is also possible to boot a remote A-Series without harddisk.

Sorry it is maybe a bit to much information...
I hope it clarify 's a bit
Roland

It sounds like I should set up my A400 like so:

RAM & CPU
12009: 27
12040D: 30
12076: 37
12065: 33 (since that’s what Achim is using)
Is there any particular reason why you would be using a 12040D MUX with an A400 for now instead of just using the A400 OBIO for the console?

Maybe the 12040D MUX provides higher throughput and/or lower system utilization? I've probably seen some documentation on 12040D MUX performance in the past that I don't have a reference for handy at the moment.

Roland Dietiker

Chris
Concerning VCP Default Interface configurations for A-Series:

Settings on CPU for Autoboot:
Bootstring Interface SC: Device
%BCT20B 12005A/B 20B 264x Terminal Left CTD
%BRM22B 12008A 22B PROM Interface
%BDC2027B 12009A 27B HP-IB Disk Addr. 2
%BDC6027B 12016A 27B SCSI Disk Addr. 6
%BDS0024B 12076A 24B Ethernet HP1000 A-Series
%BMT4027B 12009A 27B MagTape
%BMT4027B 12016A 27B DAT, DDS (inoff. DLT)
%BDI32B 12022A 32B Micro 2x internal Disks
%BEP 12990A -- A990 NVRAM only

B means octal notation
This defaults where found in 24998_18652_6000.src Rev 4024 VCP.
Unfortunately I have n't found the Source of Rev 4025 which also supports booting from MO Disk like C1701C.
Missing also the Sources for A990 CPU's.

Roland

On Jun 30, 2021, at 2:11 PM, Roland Dietiker <roland.dietiker@gmx.ch> wrote:

Chris
Concerning VCP Default Interface configurations for A-Series:

Settings on CPU for Autoboot:
Bootstring Interface SC: Device
%BCT20B 12005A/B 20B 264x Terminal Left CTD
%BRM22B 12008A 22B PROM Interface
%BDC2027B 12009A 27B HP-IB Disk Addr. 2
%BDC6027B 12016A 27B SCSI Disk Addr. 6
%BDS0024B 12076A 24B Ethernet HP1000 A-Series
%BMT4027B 12009A 27B MagTape
%BMT4027B 12016A 27B DAT, DDS (inoff. DLT)
%BDI32B 12022A 32B Micro 2x internal Disks
%BEP 12990A -- A990 NVRAM only
Excellent, thank you! This should be great for my A400; I now have SCSI, so I should be able to just put an image on a SCSI2SD and boot it. (Assuming I can find an image to boot, at least…)

Though in the worst case, I have an actual physical DAT drive, so I could write a tape image and then boot that.

— Chris

Roland Dietiker

On BitSaver is the latest bootable HP PRIMARY System

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/bits/HP/HP_1000_software_collection/products/92077-10060_Rev-6200.zip
But I have never tried to get this file running. The HP PRIMARY deals independing with the Lu 1 connection, (12005A/B, 12040 or OBIO).

An another way could be to supply the first running system Software for the famous HPDRIVE or SD Card for SCSI2SD ?
With RMTERM it is also possible to load down an binary Operating System over the RS232C Line from a HP1000 Server to the Memory of a HP1000 Client based on VCP.
RMTERM is available as FTN source and I have a C source printout (no SW Package) for HP-UX.

I am thinking about a general RTE-A System, which could easy "cold" installed and booted independing of your configuration (12005A/B, 1240B-D, OBIO) like the HP Primary it does.
Additional the possibility to access all latest releases of the Software package , like Compilers, Network Software, GraphicsV2, F1000, IMAGE2, DATAPAIR/1000 and other optional Packages and Feature of the HP1000.
Easy to install, build for the next generation of youth.

But in which format should this "startup system" be presented?
Easy to get it running on A-Series System without previous operating system as Image on
- hpdrive as Rik is does, supports MS Filesystem, easy to exchange file, 12009A HP-IB interfacing, and dedicated IEEE-488 Card in PC
- SD Card für SCSI2SD ... which is not MSW Filesystem compatible, copying/duplicating need maybe a special utility, 12016A SCSI Interface based ?
- other strategy, which?

Roland

Concerning VCP Default Interface configurations for A-Series:

Settings on CPU for Autoboot:
Bootstring Interface SC: Device
%BCT20B 12005A/B 20B 264x Terminal Left CTD
%BRM22B 12008A 22B PROM Interface
%BDC2027B 12009A 27B HP-IB Disk Addr. 2
%BDC6027B 12016A 27B SCSI Disk Addr. 6
%BDS0024B 12076A 24B Ethernet HP1000 A-Series
%BMT4027B 12009A 27B MagTape
%BMT4027B 12016A 27B DAT, DDS (inoff. DLT)
%BDI32B 12022A 32B Micro 2x internal Disks
%BEP 12990A -- A990 NVRAM only
Excellent, thank you! This should be great for my A400; I now have SCSI, so I should be able to just put an image on a SCSI2SD and boot it. (Assuming I can find an image to boot, at least…)

Though in the worst case, I have an actual physical DAT drive, so I could write a tape image and then boot that.

— Chris

Roland,

This file is the base of the RTE-A system (image)on the hp museum website. The file can be mounted with HPdrive emulating a 9144 tape drive.

-Rik

Roland Dietiker

Hi Rik

Thank you for the information.

Maybe I can’t see the Puk, may I ask you or Ansgar (or anyone) to  give me a hint:

As example :

-          I have the hardware ready, (A-Series CPU, 12009A HP-IB Interface, System Console and serial Interface (12040D), Memory)

-          The Disk should be emulated by HPDRIVE at Address 2

-          The PC contains the HP-IB card, ready for HPDRIVE

-          Now I would like to build a System for the mentioned A-Series Computer

?  It seems that I need two of the HP-IB Cards in the PC or is there a way to allocate the SIMH Tape 7970(or similar) and also the empty HPDRIVE-Disk (on different addresses) ?

One way I can assume, is to take a „Dual Unit Drive » like the 7946A, but I would like to expand the capacity to the maximum addressable HP-IB Disk space of

32767 Track by 64 Block/Track => 536 MB.

Or ist there a possibility to build  with HPDRIVE a « My own HP Drive », based on a Diskmodel Like C2203A (670MB) as Unit 0 and Tape as Unit 1 at the same HP-IB Address? Tape Unit 1 Cache addressing at the HP1000 is not the question.

This question is regarding the time where all rotating HP-IB disks are gone….

Many thanks to the experts

Roland

This file is the base of the RTE-A system (image)on the hp museum website. The file can be mounted with HPdrive emulating a 9144 tape drive.

-Rik

I used the simh parameter,  what I remember is I booted using HPdrive but I think I did a conversion with hpdrive to generate the simh file. I have to look in my notes when I'm back from vacation. Which will take another week or so. Maybe Ansgar knows because we discussed it through email and he helped me with a a bug in hpdrive which he fixed.

-Rik

Roland Dietiker

Rik,

Thank you for your special effort in you vacances !

Enjoy your holidays, it is really not hurry, I have plenty of time.

Visiting you Switzerland ?

Roland

Roland.dietiker@...

I used the simh parameter,  what I remember is I booted using HPdrive but I think I did a conversion with hpdrive to generate the simh file. I have to look in my notes when I'm back from vacation. Which will take another week or so. Maybe Ansgar knows because we discussed it through email and he helped me with a a bug in hpdrive which he fixed.

-Rik

No we're sailing in the Netherlands.

-Rik