hpdrive - GPIB cards getting cheaper

Hi,
I see NI PCI-GPIB cards (which I believe are supported by hpdrive) have reduced in price on eBay, so that you can now pick one up buy-it-now from China for around $40 eg:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264860201102

I've now got one on order, haven't not had a compatible card before, so am looking forward to running up hpdrive on my XP PC.

BTW can anyone point me towards a manual for the NI PCI-GPIB card? Lastly what is the analyzer option on the PCI-GPIB+ card please?

Thanks,
John

Ansgar

Nice finding. The pics however suggest it is NOT a PCI-GPIB+ card with analyzer functions, but rather a plain PCI-GPIB card. Which of course works nicely with HPDrive and is a good value.

I am not sure whether there is a specific manual for the PCI-GPIB card, I guess NI has a couple of general manuals on installation (https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370426r.pdf) and NI488.2 software (e.g. https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370428v.pdf), which cover most of NI's cards.

-Ansgar

Martin Hepperle

In the past I also bought some cards from China and/or HongKong and I for me about $25-30 is a reasonable price. They arrived here in Europe within about 2-4 weeks (via "SpeedPak").

I have never seen one of these cards with the "Analyzer" option - they all have the footprints, but no chips installed.
If you do not want to use them with HPDRIVE you can also use them with NI's software package to control devices.
I believe Linux also has a suite of IEEE-488 drivers which may give you even more programming freedom..

However, the software assumes recent IEEE-devices and tries to use ASCII command sequences like "IDN?" which are not understood by classic HP gear. But for HPDRIVE these standard PCI cards work fine.

Martin

Thanks Ansgar for the links. I see on p.38 of the installation manual specs for the PCI-GPIB cards:

Dimensions
PCI-GPIB/TNT4882C ..............................13.3 cm × 10.7 cm (5.25 in. × 4.20 in.)
PCI-GPIB/TNT5004.................................12 cm × 6.44 cm (4.72 in. × 2.54 in.)
PCI-GPIB/LP............................................12 cm × 6.44 cm (4.87 in. × 2.54 in.)

1 NI PCI-GPIB boards manufactured before 2003 use the TNT4882C controller. The assembly number
printed on these boards is 183617x-01.
2 A later revision of PCI-GPIB boards uses the TNT5004 controller. The assembly number printed on these
boards is 188513x-01.

So I have ordered one of the older pre-2003 type boards (TNT4882C). The newer smaller boards (TNT5004) are like these and are a bit more expensive:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265140471610

Regards,
John

Ansgar

The analyzer functions of the NI GPIB+ series are nice, however not required for instrument control or for HPDrive. With the analyzer you may listen on the HP-IB bus and track ongoing activity, either passively (trace only) or actively (by taking part in the three-wire-handshake e.g. for stepping through a GPIB transfer). The analyzer versions can trace all GPIB bus lines and have a buffer for a limited number of bus events plus time stamps (similar to logic analyzers). They are quite useful for both problem treatment and reverse engineering.

The Linux-GPIB library is an open source project maintained by Frank Mori Hess and Dave Penkler and is the standard for using GPIB boards under Linux and extremely well done. It implements all NI's 488.2 API calls, so that it is pretty easy to port Windows applications to Linux. Linux-GPIB supports a wide range of interface hardware (includes vintage & latest and also some exotic solutions). It however is not available as installable package for all Linux distros, so it can be required to build & install manually.

-Ansgar

smbaker@...

Just to add a recent experience, about two weeks ago I built myself an HPDrive, using an NI GPIB PCI Adapter (Ebay, $33), HP T5745 thin client (Ebay, $25), and PCI expansion for the T5745 (Amazon, $14). Then I installed Ubuntu and HPDrive on it. For $72 I ended up with a nice compact implementation. Built in VGA, USB, Ethernet, and easy to toss in a USB Wifi dongle for wireless. It even says "HP" on it. :)

Scott

Paul Bicknell

Thank you Ansgar for the links to the 2 documents

I am going to upload them to the HP Agilent  groups IO site to preserve them

Regards Paul

Nice finding. The pics however suggest it is NOT a PCI-GPIB+ card with analyzer functions, but rather a plain PCI-GPIB card. Which of course works nicely with HPDrive and is a good value.

I am not sure whether there is a specific manual for the PCI-GPIB card, I guess NI has a couple of general manuals on installation (https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370426r.pdf) and NI488.2 software (e.g. https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370428v.pdf), which cover most of NI's cards.

-Ansgar

Jack Rubin

Intriguing! Does the expansion chassis simply sit on top of the base unit? Can you send a photo. I wonder if multiple chassis could be stacked to allow two (or more) GPIB cards in a single unit?

Is the base unit RAM upgradeable?

Thanks -
www.computerarium.org

smbaker@...

I can do even better than a picture -- youtube video is up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sft5bT7os4E

It was a little bit of a rush effort in the editing, and I didn't record the software installation itself, but all of the hardware bits are there plus a quick HP-UX demo on the 310. Unfortunately, I don't think you can stack the expansion chassis. It did look like there is an open slot for a second RAM module. To answer another question or two that came via PM -- the T5745 itself came with no OS and no built-in storage (it's possible there might be some out there that include the internal DOM that I used, and it's possible that in my case the DOM was removed by the seller to dispose of any private data). So doing a fresh OS install is a necessity. I suspect you could install directly onto a USB stick if you wanted to. I opted to go with Ubuntu 16.04, which is a 32-bit variant of Ubuntu. 64-bit variants will not work on the thin client's microprocessor.

This is my second T5745 build -- I've previously built one up with a SCSI adapter when I needed to image some SCSI drives. IMO they do make a nice compact (and inexpensive) little PC when you just have to have a PCI slot.

Scott

Martin Hepperle

Some time ago I built two HPDRIVE servers using HP Thin Clients (there is an excellent Thin Client comparison web site at http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5730/index.shtml to find out which clients have ordinary PCI slots).

As I did not have the (ugly) expansion chassis, I mounted the HP-IB cards with PCI extension cables; the first one into the case of a HP 9153 disk drive and the second one as a standalone device.
A few pictures can be found over at the Series-80 group: https://groups.io/g/hpseries80/album?id=10518

Martin

Paul Birkel

Thank you Scott.  Even more for your blog entry: https://www.smbaker.com/assembling-a-thin-client-to-serve-as-an-hpdrive :->.

A point that I’m uncertain about is the correct power supply voltage for the hyperlinked eBay T5745 item that you used (no brick included).  HP documentation that I’ve found (e.g., the c02558392 HP t5740t5745 Thin Clients Hardware Reference Guide) innocuously state “65W 3.42 A +19 V DC”.

https://www.dectrader.com/pdf/quickspecs/13497_na/13497_na.html specify in the Accessories list a “65 Watt External Power Supply replacement” as PN AZ552AA, which NewEgg listed as https://www.newegg.com/hp-az552aa-aba-power-supply/p/N82E16834986897 as specifically 19.5V (3.3A).  I’m unable to verify this information through search on the HP Support site.

eBay vendors claim various voltages as being appropriate, ranging from 18.5v to 19.5v.

What voltage are you using in your two configurations of the T5745?

[...]

I've got a couple 5745 units arriving today (?), purchased here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/114513308179 - for $15 each, adapters included. Product label from auction indicates 19V power input. More info when they are actually in hand.

www.computerarium.org

Achim Buerger

Do these boxes have a HP terminal emulation onboard?

No, the NI adapters are targeted for instrument control which is relatively low speed.

But adding termination is easy, use an old HP-IB connector and solder the termination resistors on it and piggy back it to the card.

-Rik

Bob:  I’ve never seen a 19V brick; only 19.5V ones.  Have I just been cloistered from the real world?

Scott:  Thank you for checking.

Jack:  Will be interested in seeing how yours are labeled.

0.5V either way probably would not make any difference to these thin clients it is likely just a bulk voltage that feed regulators inside to generate the voltages the components need just like they do for laptops.

Paul.