12792 mux

Klyball

i got a hold of a mux card but can't seems to get any response from it , any pointers would be appreciated , i generated DV800_0 into the RTE VI system as i believe it is a rev D it has a 5180-7228 rom .
Thanks
Grant

Roland Dietiker

Hi Grant

5180-7228 is a C-Mux ROM Version, D-Mux starts from 5180-7245. Are you able to burn 2764 EEPROM ? If yes, I could  send you the last D-Mux Version  until 5181-8682.

I don’t know which was the last supported Version for the 12792 Mux because my expertise covers the A-Serie.

Best regards

Roland

Von: VintHPcom@groups.io [mailto:VintHPcom@groups.io] Im Auftrag von Klyball
Gesendet: Montag, 12. Oktober 2020 00:43
An: VintHPcom@groups.io
Betreff: [VintHPcom] 12792 mux

i got a hold of a mux card but can't seems to get any response from it , any pointers would be appreciated , i generated DV800_0 into the RTE VI system as i believe it is a rev D it has a 5180-7228 rom .
Thanks
Grant

Virenfrei. www.avg.com

Klyball

Hi Roland,  

Thanks for the reply, I can burn eproms, so that would save me from regenerating the system at the least.

Roland Dietiker

Hi Grant

As I remember the 5181-8682 Version should be supported on RTE6/VM?

I added also earlier versions of binary files.

Good luck!

Roland 

Gesendet: Montag, 12. Oktober 2020 13:13
Betreff: Re: [VintHPcom] 12792 mux

Hi Roland,  

Thanks for the reply, I can burn eproms, so that would save me from regenerating the system at the least.

Virenfrei. www.avg.com

Klyball

Thanks for this Roland, Hope this gets me going

Klyball

I changed the rom to D , but still get no response. If i am reading right the D version can be initialized from generation . And can be changed in the welcome file or interactively.
So if i do a CN,30,30b,152130b then a cn,30,6b i get Device i/o failed message , there is never any activity on the little led on the board, Im thinking the board is bad but i don't really have any experience on how these work, so i could be doing something wrong.
Lu 30 gives correct response
eq 15 gives correct response
so i believe my generation is fine
the cable is jumpered correctly
It seems there is a diagnostic but i have no way to get it in the system. Ideas?

Thanks

Roland Dietiker

I have never installed the D-Mux on 12792 Card. I know the procedure for A-Series only :

The Control requests (CN,Lu,..) are quite different between C and D Version.

-          Is the EPROM the same as before (2764 EPROM) ?  Was the 12792 Interface  blinking with old Version?

-          Note Bit 12 on the Portword by Function code 30B has no function : cn Lu,30B,15….. seems to be suspect (at least on A-Series).

-          If you have a HP Terminal ( or -Emulation of HP Terminal) connected to the D-Mux Port (9600 Baud, No Parity, 8 Bit, Enq Ack enabled) the CN,Lu,6B is enough that the Mux Port try to communicate with the Terminal with speed sensing.

-          It seems that you enter through an another connection to the system (maybe BACI card ): Try after login „SPORT,Lux“ where „Lux“ is the Lu from one of the D-Mux ports.

-          You mentioned there is no LED blinking. On the A-Series HP12040 Interface the LED ist blinking.

Regards

Roland 

Gesendet: Montag, 12. Oktober 2020 19:52

I changed the rom to D , but still get no response. If i am reading right the D version can be initialized from generation . And can be changed in the welcome file or interactively.
So if i do a CN,30,30b,152130b then a cn,30,6b i get Device i/o failed message , there is never any activity on the little led on the board, Im thinking the board is bad but i don't really have any experience on how these work, so i could be doing something wrong.
Lu 30 gives correct response
eq 15 gives correct response
so i believe my generation is fine
the cable is jumpered correctly
It seems there is a diagnostic but i have no way to get it in the system. Ideas?

Thanks

Virenfrei. www.avg.com

Klyball

Hi, if i just go with the cn,Lu,6b i get the device i/o failure , so i tried some 30b commands from the manual , But the 6b should not be failing ,im thinking the card has problems i have tried in different slots also.no led activity anytime power on , reset etc. I have 2 baci and 12531 all working fine

Roland Dietiker

Hi,

On the A-Series, the Mux LED flashs after computer switching on. No bootup is needed on A-Series for flashing the LED.

I can not check on MX Series and my experience with MX was ending 1984.

It seems that the card is gone. With the old firmware 5180-7228 same effect, no flashing?

Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. Oktober 2020 02:26

Hi, if i just go with the cn,Lu,6b i get the device i/o failure , so i tried some 30b commands from the manual , But the 6b should not be failing ,im thinking the card has problems i have tried in different slots also.no led activity anytime power on , reset etc. I have 2 baci and 12531 all working fine

Virenfrei. www.avg.com

Klyball

No Flashing with either firmware, i was looking at the schematic a bit , and probed around and my initial findings are the cards has a problem. There is a clock and the z80 is running but there is no output from the z80 ctc . and the two signals brg0 and brg1 are timing for the 4 serial i/o chips so thats is why its not working. As far as i can tell there is only 1 custom ic on there, so if thats not gone bad there might be hope it could be repaired.

Klyball

Update for anyone with a dead 12792 After hooking it up to my analyzer ,it looks like the custom pla is caput , that figures, on a positive note seeing that the 12792 seem scarce , it looks like the pla from a 12040 is exactly the same, all signals in and out are identical ,and those boards seem to be quite plentiful. 

Klyball

I replaced the pla (82s100) in the 12792 with one from a 12040 and that brought the card back to life , so that custom pla is interchangeable .

al_kossow

On 10/28/20 9:31 PM, Klyball wrote:
I replaced the pla (82s100) in the 12792 with one from a 12040 and that brought the card back to life , so that custom pla is interchangeable .
82S100 and 82S105 parts have no protection bits so they are easily dumpable to archive with something like a DataIO Unisite.

Klyball

This would be be a good one to archive,  I need a adaptor to read it with my programmer. Another project added to the ever-growing todo list

Klyball

I was able to compile kermit , Now with the card working i can  get files back and forth using teraterm on the pc side , also the kermit has a terminal mode and i was able to go out and log on to some bbs's.