From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> On Behalf Of Philip Freidin
Sent: Saturday, 19 September 2020 10:50 AM
To: VintHPcom@groups.io
Subject: [VintHPcom] HP3000 987SX

A local auction has an HP3000 987SX in what looks like a 6 foot high rack, with
a DLT 4000 with maybe 6 drive and HP 2345A Distributed Terminal Controller DTC 24 Ports.
This was up for auction 2 weeks ago and no-one was willing to make the minimal
bid of $25. (about $37 after tax and tip). Weighs 552 lb. I know nothing more
about this system.

Is this system of any value?

Philip

Philip Freidin

Sorry David,

Silicon Valley California. Auction ends September 23rd at 1:30 PM PST (California time)

https://auctionbdi.hibid.com/

Lot 16  Since there are no pics of what's inside, this might be an empty husk or
it might be a system just waiting for power, or anything in between.

Note auction details, all winning bids have a buyer's
premium added of 25%.
So if you win bidding $100, the total bid is $125, and then add about 10% CA
sales tax (so about $12.50) for final $137.50

Philip

On September 22, 2020 12:46:22 AM "Philip Freidin" <philip@...> wrote:
A local auction has an HP3000 987SX in what looks like a 6 foot high rack, with
a DLT 4000 with maybe 6 drive and HP 2345A Distributed Terminal Controller DTC 24 Ports.
This was up for auction 2 weeks ago and no-one was willing to make the minimal
bid of $25. (about $37 after tax and tip). Weighs 552 lb. I know nothing more
about this system.

Is this system of any value?
Are you kidding?? Man I'd be there with bells on (and not much else!) with a van to pick that up for the museum if it were in this half of the US!

Stephen Hanselman

Probably not unless you want some HP iron. This was a PA-RISC box and being the “8” variant was a fairly good sized one, there was also 917, 927, 937, etc.

I’m going to forward this to a computer museum that we sent all of our HP computers to.

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

On Sep 21, 2020, at 21:46, Philip Freidin <philip@...> wrote:

A local auction has an HP3000 987SX in what looks like a 6 foot high rack, with
a DLT 4000 with maybe 6 drive and
HP 2345A Distributed Terminal Controller DTC 24 Ports.
This was up for auction 2 weeks ago and no-one was willing to make the minimal
bid of $25. (about $37 after tax and tip). Weighs 552 lb. I know nothing more
about this system.

Is this system of any value?

Philip

Also I have bought from these guys many times. Reputable vendor, easy to deal with. It’s the auction arm of the eBay vendor SVC Silicon Valley Compucycle, also one of the best professional eBayer I have dealt with.
Marc

On 9/23/20 1:43 PM, CuriousMarc wrote:
Also I have bought from these guys many times. Reputable vendor, easy to deal with. It’s the auction arm of the eBay vendor SVC Silicon Valley Compucycle, also one of the best professional eBayer I have dealt with.
Perhaps I should give them another look, then. My experience with them is that they gouge on shipping, don't combine shipping (on little things like boards), and ignore offers. Maybe they've improved their stance in the past few years that I've been ignoring them.

Philip Freidin

FYI,

There were two bidders. Non winner bid $275, high bidder bid something above
that and won with $276 +25% +10% == about $380

Philip

Philip Freidin

Hi Dave,

Auction-BDI and SVC operate differently, in that one sells as a real
bricks and mortar auction site (BDI) that is selling items provided by
other companies for resale by auction, and the other (SVC) has both
local sales and eBay presence and is selling their own stock.
The item lists are separate.

With regards to BDI, they accept all offers over $25, it's called a bid.
As I am local, I just drive over to pick up my "winnings"
I always bid low, and sometimes I am unlucky and win and have to find
somewhere to store the stuff somewhere. Fortunately I am totally out
of space, so I didn't bid on this system 2 weeks ago, as I would have
won it with a $25 bid. Just lucky  :-)

Philip

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 10:53 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
Perhaps I should give them another look, then. My experience with
them is that they gouge on shipping, don't combine shipping (on little
things like boards), and ignore offers. Maybe they've improved their
stance in the past few years that I've been ignoring them.

-Dave

Ken Seefried

I've bought a few things from SVC on eBay.  This is my anecdata...YMMV. All of the items, I made an offer in the 50-75% of list range they took, including a bit of relatively bulky test gear.   The shipping was "high", for some values of high, but the items arrived in reasonable time and were well packaged.

You get what you pay for...far too many free/cheap shippers just grab whatever box they have laying around, some old bubble wrap/foam blocks/newspaper and toss the item in.  And it's not like the myriad of sellers I see shilling $20 items with $132 shipping.

KJ

On 9/24/20 11:02 AM, Ken Seefried wrote:
I've bought a few things from SVC on eBay.  This is my anecdata...YMMV. All of the items, I made an offer in the 50-75% of list range they took, including a bit of relatively bulky test gear.   The shipping was "high", for some values of high, but the items arrived in reasonable time and were well packaged.
You get what you pay for...far too many free/cheap shippers just grab whatever box they have laying around, some old bubble wrap/foam blocks/newspaper and toss the item in.  And it's not like the myriad of sellers I see shilling $20 items with $132 shipping.
I agree. My comments about SVC gouging on shipping aren't me being a cheap-ass...people who know me would laugh at that suggestion. ;) They regularly charge $40+ to ship a single CAMAC board, something I buy a lot of, and they flatly refuse to combine shipping.

All of this was in the past, though, at least two years ago; I've ignored their listings after a few screwings on my assumption that they'd be decent and put two boards in one box.

Dave,
That could very well be. I had no experience with their shipping, as I always pick up directly from them - local pickup is most of their business I believe.

I mean for the BDI side. For the SVC side they mostly ship of course.