#HP1000 #HP1000

Charlie

Hi, I am working with Al on the A900 computer.
AdvanceLink has completely failed us at transferring binaries onto the computer (always hangs at 974 characters), and I was wondering if anyone could suggest an alternative method of putting things on there (we only have an emulated 7958A, so imaging a floppy or a tape is not really an option).
We also have no method of inserting things directly into the emulated disk image, because we have no programs to do so.
I have copies of all the relocatables.

Thanks, Charlie

Colin Eby

Easiest ways I can think of (and I’ve not tried this myself) is to invest in a second HP-IP interface and run two copies of HP-Drive. Make the second one a floppy drive emulation. Inserting files into a floppy images is much more straightforward.

What I was planning to do myself, was create and write images to my 9121A using hpdisk, then actually attach it to the HP 1000 I have. I’m working on getting my 5.25” drive running as well. However, a second HP-IB emulated drive would be the most flexible possible option if it can be made to work. In theory it should be fine.

Kind regards,
Colin

On 9 Sep 2020, at 22:02, cvdcamilleri@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, I am working with Al on the A900 computer.
AdvanceLink has completely failed us at transferring binaries onto the computer (always hangs at 974 characters), and I was wondering if anyone could suggest an alternative method of putting things on there (we only have an emulated 7958A, so imaging a floppy or a tape is not really an option).
We also have no method of inserting things directly into the emulated disk image, because we have no programs to do so.
I have copies of all the relocatables.

Thanks, Charlie

Charlie

That is our last ditch solution, but not one we want to do due to the cost of the GPIB cards.
The ideal method is doing it over the serial port, or directly manipulating the HPI emulated image.

Thanks,
Charlie

Colin Eby

I don’t see why you couldn’t do a 2645 CTU emulation with a little programming. There should be drivers for that on the RTE side. I believe it’s just uses some special escape sequences which you can look up in the old 2645 manuals. But perhaps I’m oversimplifying. I’ve not tried that either.

Kind regards,
Colin

On 9 Sep 2020, at 22:20, cvdcamilleri@gmail.com wrote:

That is our last ditch solution, but not one we want to do due to the cost of the GPIB cards.
The ideal method is doing it over the serial port, or directly manipulating the HPI emulated image.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie

I have looked at that sort of thing, but I think that is beyond my ability in any reasonable timeframe.

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi,

Did you try to use qterm, it's on the hpmuseum website. Qterm emulates hp terminals.
And if you have an extra gpib board for your pc you can run an extra instance of hpdrive on another hp-ib address and have 2 units on the same bus.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 11:16 PM +0200, "Colin Eby" <colin.eby.uk@...> wrote:

Easiest ways I can think of (and I’ve not tried this myself) is to invest in a second HP-IP interface and run two copies of HP-Drive.  Make the second one a floppy drive emulation.  Inserting files into a floppy images is much more straightforward.

What I was planning to do myself, was create and write images to my 9121A using hpdisk, then actually attach it to the HP 1000 I have. I’m working on getting my 5.25” drive running as well. However, a second HP-IB emulated drive would be the most flexible possible option if it can be made to work. In theory it should be fine.

Kind regards,
Colin

> On 9 Sep 2020, at 22:02, cvdcamilleri@... wrote:
>
> Hi, I am working with Al on the A900 computer.
> AdvanceLink has completely failed us at transferring binaries onto the computer (always hangs at 974 characters), and I was wondering if anyone could suggest an alternative method of putting things on there (we only have an emulated 7958A, so imaging a floppy or a tape is not really an option).
> We also have no method of inserting things directly into the emulated disk image, because we have no programs to do so.
> I have copies of all the relocatables.
>
> Thanks, Charlie

Charlie

Yeah, we use qcterm to telnet into it.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie

Speaking rather soon, but the reason we were using AdvanceLink in DosBox was trying to move files over, like described in the "help advlink" command.

You realise that dosbox  could be the problem and not advancelink . Maybe you should try to run advancelink on a real DOS machine with msdos 3.30 or higher installed. Also look at xms support like home.sys this should be disabled, and be sure you have enough buffers and files declared in config.sys.

-Rik

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 9:23 AM +0200, <cvdcamilleri@...> wrote:

Speaking rather soon, but the reason we were using AdvanceLink in DosBox was trying to move files over, like described in the "help advlink" command.

Charlie

I can try a VM (KVM), but a real DOS machine is out of reach at the moment.

You realise that dosbox  could be the problem and not advancelink . Maybe you should try to run advancelink on a real DOS machine with msdos 3.30 or higher installed. Also look at xms support like home.sys this should be disabled, and be sure you have enough buffers and files declared in config.sys.

-Rik

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 9:23 AM +0200, <cvdcamilleri@...> wrote:

Speaking rather soon, but the reason we were using AdvanceLink in DosBox was trying to move files over, like described in the "help advlink" command.

Anders

Any old PC with FreeDOS will do. You can even boot from an USB drive

Charlie

Again, unfortunately not possible at the moment.

Any old PC with FreeDOS will do. You can even boot from an USB drive

Charlie

I am, however, going to do it in a VM.

Again, unfortunately not possible at the moment.