Paul Berger

The 98203A has 8 jumpers along the left side of the keyboard PCB that can be read by the system, which Tony labeled as "Config Links" on his schematic.  My US English 98203A has all 8 jumpers in place.   Page 9-5 of the CE handbook for 9826/36 may offer a clue to the jumpers, the absence of a jumper would appear to select the language and of course there would be different keytops for some of the keys as well.

Paul.

On 2019-12-28 6:38 a.m., Anders wrote:
The docs hint that the 98xx was sold with different keyboard layouts for different European countries, but I have not found any info on how this internationalisation was done, ie is there any way to change the keyboard layout in software, or is it burnt into the boot rom?

Anders

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 04:48 PM, Paul Berger wrote:
98203A
You are right! I never noticed those or simply assumed that they were links because they could not route all tracks. My keyboard has all the links in place. SW/F is presumably Swedish/Finnish so I will have to figure out how to emulate that :)

The row and colum numbers in that illustration do not correspond to the 9816 schematic though. For example, Z is column 7 in the schematic and I see a code 2 for shift and 3 for control, 26 is A etc. The number being the number of clockpulses counted from start.

Paul Berger

Yes I think it will take trial and error removing one at a time and checking the result my guess would be J2 will give you Swedish/Finnish.  It would be nice if there where diagrams with the layouts, but I cannot find any.

Paul.

On 2019-12-28 12:24 p.m., Anders wrote:
On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 04:48 PM, Paul Berger wrote:
98203A
You are right! I never noticed those or simply assumed that they were links because they could not route all tracks. My keyboard has all the links in place. SW/F is presumably Swedish/Finnish so I will have to figure out how to emulate that :)

The row and colum numbers in that illustration do not correspond to the 9816 schematic though. For example, Z is column 7 in the schematic and I see a code 2 for shift and 3 for control, 26 is A etc. The number being the number of clockpulses counted from start.

Anders

Wel number 2 gave me Spanish, but there is no point changing this keyboard as it has US keytops, but for my emulator, it would be nice to be able to use the layout you are accustomed to. Anyway. The config word is read once, at bootup. It is at "column" 15, the last colum (encoder is 14).

At reset, the computer sends a bunch, I assume 256 clock pulses at a higher frequency than normally (24us) so it counts all the way to column 15 and reads the word. After that it lowers the keyboard clock and never counts past 140-something.

I shall see how I can emulate this.

Anders

The decoding works like this. Pulses are counted and fed to an one out of 16 decoder which controls 16 8-input analogue muxes. Mux 0 has input 2 to the shift keys, 3 to the Ctrl key, hence shift is pulling data low after 2 pulses, Ctrl after three etc.

The config links is connected to the last mux so J7 is the 120th pulse, J6 is the 121th pulse etc.

Let me try that tomorrow.

Anders

It is neither simple, nor well-documented. In the Tony Duell schematics the J3 link is open which it is not on my keyboard, but still that bit position is active:

At 1 we have 8 pulses from the rotary encoder. then at 2, J7,6,5,4, J3 off, J2 off then J1, J0 and last the reset pulse from the host. Oddly can I apparently get a German and Spanish layout, but not a Finnish/Swedish one. Must try harder

Anders

Is it possible that the 9816 only supports US/French/German/Spanish?