From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> On Behalf Of Achim Buerger
Sent: Friday, 29 May 2020 7:36 AM
To: VintHPcom@groups.io
Subject: [VintHPcom] 50th aniversary of HP9800 series

Hi all,
a few days ago I noticed the time coming near for the 50th aniversary of the first series 9800 calculator. I digged a bit in some documents from the design of the 9800 series in 1970/71 and found a copy of the microcode draft by Henry J. Kohoutek, dated to 5-27-70. Thats exactly 50 years ago! That brought me to the question if Henry is still alive and wether if it would make him happy to congratulate him for his work. I'm a great admirer of the 9800 microcode and the latest release of my GO9800 emulator is based on execution of this microcode.
Does anyone know how Henry and the other guys from the 9800 team are doing? Or even has contact to them?

Achim

Steve Leibson

I just Googled Henry. He appears to be alive and still living in Loveland, Colorado. I'm afraid I haven't heard from Chuck Near in a while. He designed the HP 9800 series processor board, modeled on the HP 2100 series ISA.

Achim Buerger

Hi David,

I uploaded most of these documents about a year ago in the section 'HP 98X0 series'.
The above mentioned document is contained in a Zip-File https://groups.io/g/VintHPcom/files/HP%2098X0%20series/HP9800%20Design%20Concepts%20Datasheets.zip
There are several more Zip files with the same upload date.
The scans where made from originals owned by the Computer Museum of the University of Siuttgart in Germany.AFIK the origin is from a former employee of HP Boeblingen, which is near Stuttgart. Obviously this guy was involved in the HP9800 production in Germany in the early 1970s.

Achim