Topics

wanted: HP2627A or HP2397 Terminal emulator for PC

Martin Hepperle

The HP Terminal Program for MS-DOS

I looked into my box with floppy discs from my late HP Vectra PC.  There I found the HP Terminal program on 5-1/4" DS/DD discs.
It was version A.00.02 while the version at HP-Museum is A.00.03 and probably has some improvements.

Nevertheless I installed both and both work.

With the version from the HP Museum I had problems to create the discs until I recognized that I had tried to use 5-1/4" HD discs.
Some of them could be written in DS/DD format, others failed halfway through.
After replacing them with the proper 5-1/4" DS/DD discs Teledisc was successful in creating the copies.

Because the Teledisc images are sometimes inconvenient to handle if you don't have old hard- and software, I also created a snapshot of each installation directory.
Both installations were performed on a MS-DOS PC for a VGA display card, so they may only work with VGA compatible cards.
I will upload the two .ZIP archives here and also send them down under to Dave of the HP-Museum.

I tested the terminal emulation with a serial connection and ran my small AGP learning program on the HP 1000..
The program must be linked with the D0036.LIB driver to support the 2627 color graphics terminal.
I have only used the serial interface option as I do not have an "AdvanceNet" connection.

Martin

Qterm is a very good HP terminal emulator for Windows.

-Rik

[...]

Roland Dietiker

Hi Rik

Many thanks. Yes I checked it, but it does not emulate 2627A Color Graphics what I have seen.

I have several color graphic Demos (based on Graphics/1000-II (AGP/DGL)  but no HP2627A Display.

I guess the Demos could be interesting for Vintage Shows „back to the 1980’s“.

For this, I am searching  for a PC based Emulation of 2627A or 2397A which supports Serial and Ethernet (Telnet) connectivity.

The mentioned Emulation HP24597A below, works fine on old PC’s, but it could not be installed at current 64bit  MSW 7 or later Systems .

I made a virtual machine with VMWare Player and installed the HP24597A Software. It works, but the color graphics Demos are very slow and does not support current network adapters (HP AdvancedNet Card only)

My hope is that an Expert provide the Emulation on transportable Environment like JAVA.

Even if the emulation on old PC’s is possible, earlier or later he’s live will end. The A-Series will minimal until 2037 do the Job (Date Problem like year 2000),  but I am not sure will the MS based System until this date survive….

This ist the reason why I am serach for a solution for the up to date PC’s Versions. I would do the programming, but I am not JAVA Expert and Assembler and FORTRAN is not the solution for this request…..

Best regards

Roland

[...]

Adendum to QCTERM:

Unfortunately does QCTERM for request of Terminal ID „Esc * s ^ »  response « 70092 », independend of the Menu settings in « Connection -> Terminal Type ».

Graphics/1000-II check this parameter and if the response not accurate, it stops by the Initialization process JEDEV/ZBINT.

Best regards

Roland