HP BASIC 5.1 and 4 MB RAM - a new DIO combo board

HP75_8687

Dear enthusiasts of HP series 200 ( and early 300 ) computers,

probably you know about the HP BASIC 5.1 DIO card HP 98603B:
http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=1164

These boards are very useful, but also very rare. Version 5.1 is well documented and probably the best match for the earlier machines ( series 200, 310 and 320). It is also the latest BASIC version that exists in ROM form.
Some of the series 200 computers have very few DIO slots (9816: just two), so it is a problem to equip the computer with sufficient RAM.

There comes Dominique Berget's combo board to the rescue:
A combination of BASIC 5.1 ROM and 4 MB of RAM ( which should be more than sufficient for a series 200 computer), which occupies just one DIO slot.

See the attached picture of the beautifully designed board.

The boards are well-tested, I can recommend them. Dominique sells these boards for € 160.- plus shipping per piece.
( For a very rare HP 98603B, along with a rare 4 MB board, which weren't made by HP, only by third party companies like Infotek, you'd probably have to pay much more - and still need to occupy two slots).

If you are interested, let me know ( or him directly ), then he can decide about a production run.

Worth to mention: I don't have any financial benefit from that "promotion"!

Michael.

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
Hi guys. I've gotten my floppies written, and am able to boot BASIC
6.2 on my -382. Thank you Paul for helping me get this far.

It's interesting, though, that it will not boot from the internal
floppy drive. It says "BAD HARDWARE" and just won't boot from it, or
even see it as bootable (i.e., no info on the upper right portion of the
display). I got past that by booting from an HPIB-attached 9122C, which
seems to work fine.

I've blown the dust out of the internal floppy drive, and cleaned the
heads. No change. Do I simply have a failed or worn-out internal
floppy drive, or have I missed something?

My next question is a more important one: I've downloaded all of the
6.2 manuals from hpmuseum.net (thank you, Dave Collins!) but I don't see
an installation manual in there. Is there somewhere else I should be
looking for installation documentation?

This is interesting new territory for me; I've only ever run HP-UX on
these machines. I'm putting this one together to run some
calibration/verification software for HP/Agilent test equipment.

Does the floppy appear to try to read the diskette? On the 382 the
floppy is a SCSI device as I am sure you noticed, and since your disk
would be on the same bus, that would suggest that the SCSI bus is ok. I
have not seen an actual 382 but from what I have been able to find out
there where two versions of internal SCSI cable. One of them supported
external devices and may need an external terminator, the other would
only support internal devices and appeared to have a terminator crimped
onto the end of the cable. The other thing to watch out for is address
conflicts.

I don't recall noticing that the install manual was missing from the
6.2 set. I do have a hard copy install manual, but it is perfect bound
and I have no way to scan it. For most things the 5.1 manual would do
just as well. I did read through the section that talks about the HFS
file system and I did not see anything about a limit to disk size
however in the early 90s when 6.2 came out a 1GB disk you could fit in a
382 was unheard of.

Paul.

François Lanciault

I want one for sure!

François

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
[...]

<image002.jpg>

Oh my. Yes please, I would definitely like one.

-Dave

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
[...]

Stan

I have these boards in two of my Series 200 computers and they're great! Very professionally made and highly recommended!

Stan

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
[...]

Paul Bicknell

Hi all

Regarding Dominique Berget's he is indeed a gentleman & genius and I am very much in his debt for the time he has helped me with my computers

I should say he has spent a lot of time developing the HP Basic DIO combo boards

I have an early prototype a second generation of the ROM DIO boards with
HP BASIC 5.1

The next generation included 4 meg of RAM to hold the program that is being used / developed This was redeveloped about 10 months ago with later RAM
But the costs escalated

So I believe your price of € 160 has increased and suggest you ask for a more up to date price as the cost of components has increased and each board takes time to build and test

I have standardised on Basic 5.1 for the reasons Michael has laid out
Also as I have all the documentation for Basic 5.1

Regards Paul Bicknell UK

PS a big thank You to Dominique & Paul Berger for There help

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
[...]

OK, Francois, I forwarded your message to Dominique.

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
[...]

Hi Dave,
your message has been forwarded to Dominique.
Michael.

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I have a HP 9000 226, If it can run in this machine I like a board very much,
Helge

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Hi guys.  I've gotten my floppies written, and am able to boot BASIC
> 6.2 on my -382.  Thank you Paul for helping me get this far.
>
>    It's interesting, though, that it will not boot from the internal
> floppy drive.  It says "BAD HARDWARE" and just won't boot from it, or
> even see it as bootable (i.e., no info on the upper right portion of the
> display).  I got past that by booting from an HPIB-attached 9122C, which
> seems to work fine.
>
>    I've blown the dust out of the internal floppy drive, and cleaned the
> heads.  No change.  Do I simply have a failed or worn-out internal
> floppy drive, or have I missed something?
>
>    My next question is a more important one: I've downloaded all of the
> 6.2 manuals from hpmuseum.net (thank you, Dave Collins!) but I don't see
> an installation manual in there.  Is there somewhere else I should be
> looking for installation documentation?
>
>    This is interesting new territory for me; I've only ever run HP-UX on
> these machines.  I'm putting this one together to run some
> calibration/verification software for HP/Agilent test equipment.
>
>                 Thanks,
>                 -Dave

Does the floppy appear to try to read the diskette?  On the 382 the
floppy is a SCSI device as I am sure you noticed, and since your disk
would be on the same bus, that would suggest that the SCSI bus is ok.  I
have not seen an actual 382 but from what I have been able to find out
there where two versions of internal SCSI cable.  One of them supported
external devices and may need an external terminator, the other would
only support internal devices and appeared to have a terminator crimped
onto the end of the cable.  The other thing to watch out for is address
conflicts.

I don't recall noticing  that the install manual was missing  from the
6.2 set.  I do have a hard copy install manual, but it is perfect bound
and I have no way to scan it.  For most things the 5.1 manual would do
just as well.  I did read through the section that talks about the HFS
file system and I did not see anything about a limit to disk size
however in the early 90s when 6.2 came out a 1GB disk you could fit in a
382 was unheard of.

Paul.

Stan

The board works perfectly in my 9000/226!

Stan

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Hi guys.  I've gotten my floppies written, and am able to boot BASIC
> 6.2 on my -382.  Thank you Paul for helping me get this far.
>
>    It's interesting, though, that it will not boot from the internal
> floppy drive.  It says "BAD HARDWARE" and just won't boot from it, or
> even see it as bootable (i.e., no info on the upper right portion of the
> display).  I got past that by booting from an HPIB-attached 9122C, which
> seems to work fine.
>
>    I've blown the dust out of the internal floppy drive, and cleaned the
> heads.  No change.  Do I simply have a failed or worn-out internal
> floppy drive, or have I missed something?
>
>    My next question is a more important one: I've downloaded all of the
> 6.2 manuals from hpmuseum.net (thank you, Dave Collins!) but I don't see
> an installation manual in there.  Is there somewhere else I should be
> looking for installation documentation?
>
>    This is interesting new territory for me; I've only ever run HP-UX on
> these machines.  I'm putting this one together to run some
> calibration/verification software for HP/Agilent test equipment.
>
>                 Thanks,
>                 -Dave

Does the floppy appear to try to read the diskette?  On the 382 the
floppy is a SCSI device as I am sure you noticed, and since your disk
would be on the same bus, that would suggest that the SCSI bus is ok.  I
have not seen an actual 382 but from what I have been able to find out
there where two versions of internal SCSI cable.  One of them supported
external devices and may need an external terminator, the other would
only support internal devices and appeared to have a terminator crimped
onto the end of the cable.  The other thing to watch out for is address
conflicts.

I don't recall noticing  that the install manual was missing  from the
6.2 set.  I do have a hard copy install manual, but it is perfect bound
and I have no way to scan it.  For most things the 5.1 manual would do
just as well.  I did read through the section that talks about the HFS
file system and I did not see anything about a limit to disk size
however in the early 90s when 6.2 came out a 1GB disk you could fit in a
382 was unheard of.

Paul.

HP75_8687

Hi Paul,

thanks for explaining the development history of Dominique's boards!
Dominique authorized me to do some promotion for his boards here only a couple of days ago, so I am sure that the price is up to date.
But there is a minimum order quantity of ten, so I hope we soon will see more orders. ( 2 so far ... )

Michael

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
[...]

Hi do we need to start a list of people / equipment with Dominique HP BASIC 5.1 DIO board

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Hi guys.  I've gotten my floppies written, and am able to boot BASIC
> 6.2 on my -382.  Thank you Paul for helping me get this far.
>
>    It's interesting, though, that it will not boot from the internal
> floppy drive.  It says "BAD HARDWARE" and just won't boot from it, or
> even see it as bootable (i.e., no info on the upper right portion of the
> display).  I got past that by booting from an HPIB-attached 9122C, which
> seems to work fine.
>
>    I've blown the dust out of the internal floppy drive, and cleaned the
> heads.  No change.  Do I simply have a failed or worn-out internal
> floppy drive, or have I missed something?
>
>    My next question is a more important one: I've downloaded all of the
> 6.2 manuals from hpmuseum.net (thank you, Dave Collins!) but I don't see
> an installation manual in there.  Is there somewhere else I should be
> looking for installation documentation?
>
>    This is interesting new territory for me; I've only ever run HP-UX on
> these machines.  I'm putting this one together to run some
> calibration/verification software for HP/Agilent test equipment.
>
>                 Thanks,
>                 -Dave

Does the floppy appear to try to read the diskette?  On the 382 the
floppy is a SCSI device as I am sure you noticed, and since your disk
would be on the same bus, that would suggest that the SCSI bus is ok.  I
have not seen an actual 382 but from what I have been able to find out
there where two versions of internal SCSI cable.  One of them supported
external devices and may need an external terminator, the other would
only support internal devices and appeared to have a terminator crimped
onto the end of the cable.  The other thing to watch out for is address
conflicts.

I don't recall noticing  that the install manual was missing  from the
6.2 set.  I do have a hard copy install manual, but it is perfect bound
and I have no way to scan it.  For most things the 5.1 manual would do
just as well.  I did read through the section that talks about the HFS
file system and I did not see anything about a limit to disk size
however in the early 90s when 6.2 came out a 1GB disk you could fit in a
382 was unheard of.

Paul.

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Jack Rubin

Please sign me up for one of these boards also.
Jack

HP75_8687

Hi Helge,

yes, of course, the board runs fine in your 9000/226 (9826) computer.

Your name has been added to the order list.

Michael

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Hi guys.  I've gotten my floppies written, and am able to boot BASIC
> 6.2 on my -382.  Thank you Paul for helping me get this far.
>
>    It's interesting, though, that it will not boot from the internal
> floppy drive.  It says "BAD HARDWARE" and just won't boot from it, or
> even see it as bootable (i.e., no info on the upper right portion of the
> display).  I got past that by booting from an HPIB-attached 9122C, which
> seems to work fine.
>
>    I've blown the dust out of the internal floppy drive, and cleaned the
> heads.  No change.  Do I simply have a failed or worn-out internal
> floppy drive, or have I missed something?
>
>    My next question is a more important one: I've downloaded all of the
> 6.2 manuals from hpmuseum.net (thank you, Dave Collins!) but I don't see
> an installation manual in there.  Is there somewhere else I should be
> looking for installation documentation?
>
>    This is interesting new territory for me; I've only ever run HP-UX on
> these machines.  I'm putting this one together to run some
> calibration/verification software for HP/Agilent test equipment.
>
>                 Thanks,
>                 -Dave

Does the floppy appear to try to read the diskette?  On the 382 the
floppy is a SCSI device as I am sure you noticed, and since your disk
would be on the same bus, that would suggest that the SCSI bus is ok.  I
have not seen an actual 382 but from what I have been able to find out
there where two versions of internal SCSI cable.  One of them supported
external devices and may need an external terminator, the other would
only support internal devices and appeared to have a terminator crimped
onto the end of the cable.  The other thing to watch out for is address
conflicts.

I don't recall noticing  that the install manual was missing  from the
6.2 set.  I do have a hard copy install manual, but it is perfect bound
and I have no way to scan it.  For most things the 5.1 manual would do
just as well.  I did read through the section that talks about the HFS
file system and I did not see anything about a limit to disk size
however in the early 90s when 6.2 came out a 1GB disk you could fit in a
382 was unheard of.

Paul.

HP75_8687

Hi Jack,

done.

Michael.

On 2018-12-01 12:28 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Hi guys.  I've gotten my floppies written, and am able to boot BASIC
> 6.2 on my -382.  Thank you Paul for helping me get this far.
>
>    It's interesting, though, that it will not boot from the internal
> floppy drive.  It says "BAD HARDWARE" and just won't boot from it, or
> even see it as bootable (i.e., no info on the upper right portion of the
> display).  I got past that by booting from an HPIB-attached 9122C, which
> seems to work fine.
>
>    I've blown the dust out of the internal floppy drive, and cleaned the
> heads.  No change.  Do I simply have a failed or worn-out internal
> floppy drive, or have I missed something?
>
>    My next question is a more important one: I've downloaded all of the
> 6.2 manuals from hpmuseum.net (thank you, Dave Collins!) but I don't see
> an installation manual in there.  Is there somewhere else I should be
> looking for installation documentation?
>
>    This is interesting new territory for me; I've only ever run HP-UX on
> these machines.  I'm putting this one together to run some
> calibration/verification software for HP/Agilent test equipment.
>
>                 Thanks,
>                 -Dave

Does the floppy appear to try to read the diskette?  On the 382 the
floppy is a SCSI device as I am sure you noticed, and since your disk
would be on the same bus, that would suggest that the SCSI bus is ok.  I
have not seen an actual 382 but from what I have been able to find out
there where two versions of internal SCSI cable.  One of them supported
external devices and may need an external terminator, the other would
only support internal devices and appeared to have a terminator crimped
onto the end of the cable.  The other thing to watch out for is address
conflicts.

I don't recall noticing  that the install manual was missing  from the
6.2 set.  I do have a hard copy install manual, but it is perfect bound
and I have no way to scan it.  For most things the 5.1 manual would do
just as well.  I did read through the section that talks about the HFS
file system and I did not see anything about a limit to disk size
however in the early 90s when 6.2 came out a 1GB disk you could fit in a
382 was unheard of.

Paul.

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Martin Hepperle

Michael,

I would also be interested in one board and/or also one or two additional PCBs.
As I like to solder and tinker, I think could build my own board provided I have the PCB and the ROM Image - if Domique does not mind.
So I do not want to overstress Dominique's time with building boards - his energy might better be used to develop new accessories like modern disk Interfaces or additional RAM boards.

Martin

Sven Schnelle

Hi,

On 12/2/18 11:47 PM, HP75_8687 wrote:
probably you know about the HP BASIC 5.1 DIO card HP 98603B:
http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=1164

These boards are very useful, but also very rare. Version 5.1 is well documented and probably the best match for the earlier machines ( series 200, 310 and 320). It is also the latest BASIC version that exists in ROM form.
Would be interesting trying to port BASIC 6.4 to boot from ROM - anyone ever tried?

Regards

Sven

HP75_8687

Hallo Martin,

I just have forwarded your proposal to Dominique.

Cheers,

Michael