Topics

HP 1000 A900 #VintageHPComputers

P Goscombe

Hi. 
I am new to the group and I purchased a HP 1000 A900 on eBay earlier this year. It was none working. I've purchased several extra memory boards, asynchronous boards and HPIB boards. I've got it working to a fashion now and can get the VCP prompt intermittently
I  see 0 MB memory when at VCP. So I'm looking for spares or some assistance with testing what I have. I'm located in UK but have bought parts from Germany, Italy and USA. Spent a lot more than I intended and still don't have it running. My plan is to boot RTE-A off an image on a PC over HPIB.

Thanks.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

What kind of processor do you have?

The A900 or the newer A990 upgrade?

You also need the right memory boards and a connection board on the top of the memory boards to connect them to the cpu.

The picture is a picture of a A990 system.

-Rik

Van: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> Namens pg31@...
Verzonden: woensdag 28 november 2018 1:07
Aan: VintHPcom@groups.io
Onderwerp: [VintHPcom] HP 1000 A900 #VintageHPComputers

Hi. 
I am new to the group and I purchased a HP 1000 A900 on eBay earlier this year. It was none working. I've purchased several extra memory boards, asynchronous boards and HPIB boards. I've got it working to a fashion now and can get the VCP prompt intermittently
I  see 0 MB memory when at VCP. So I'm looking for spares or some assistance with testing what I have. I'm located in UK but have bought parts from Germany, Italy and USA. Spent a lot more than I intended and still don't have it running. My plan is to boot RTE-A off an image on a PC over HPIB.

Thanks.

Paul.

P Goscombe

Hi Rik,

I have the A900. I have an over the top connector for one memory board. I have two 3/4MB and one *MB memory cards. VCP show 0MB with any of the memory boards installed. I also have a spare memory controller and I see 0MB with either of these installed. I suspect that either the cache control, data path or over the top connector is faulty. Unfortunately the only ones of any of these I can find for sale are $100's and I don't want to spend the money on the wrong card. I also have a 2MB card for an A400, A600 or A700 (not useable in A900) if anyone has a swap for this. I have tow mux cards and breakout panels but only one cable, a single asynch card but no cable to connect to a terminal apart from the fibre optic one. I have two HP-IB IF's also with cables.

Thanks,

Paul.

P Goscombe

I don't know how the picture of the A900 got attached to my original post.

P Goscombe

*MB should read 8MB

Roland Dietiker

Hello Paul
You own an A900 Box Computer which is upgraded to a A990 (this 3 times faster than the A900) and the latest processor of the A-series.
- The A990 CPU is connected through the memory frontplane with two 3/4 MB memoryboards connectect. This look correct.
but:
- pull out the 8-Channel Mux Card ( HP12040) and set the switches on the left side: form 1 to 8: C O C O O C C C, this sets the Mux to Select Code 30B (B for octal) and arm it for get VCP.
- put the the 8-Channel Mux Card (HP12040) left side of the memory board to the first left slot of the Box (this is the highest priority slot in the box (this has for your case not influence, but the chain of the slots must not have empty slot in between.
-  pull out the HP-IB Card. The switches should be O C C O C O O O  (Select code 27B) 
 - put the HP-IB Card (HP12009A) exactly in the next slot right to the memory board.
- now configure the CPU switch: for runing VCP: C O O C C O C C (Bit 1 to 8 on CPU Switch. 
- connect the cables: for the 8 Channel Mux the 12040 Cable with panel. Connect the Port 0 to the Terminal through a RS232 Cable (male/male), at least Pin 2 to Pin 2, Pin 3 to Pin 3 and Pin 7 to Pin 7
- If you have a HP-IB Disk, like HP79xx with operating system you could connect the Cable to the Interface and Disk. (Disk Address 2 is default) 
- Switch on the A900 and observe the LED's at the processor PCA. It should show 3 LED and on the Console you should get the VCP.
- Entering ? by VCP mode shows a short help..

Good luck
Roland 

Stephen Hanselman

A900 now that brings back memories.  I agree but. From the CE handbook back plane slot 1 is the system disc then cpu the memory then datacom. 
00000111 VCP running
00000001 boot software running
00000000 user software running
10000000 loader error, probably checksum
00000111 BCM running (basic control module)
00010000 DDL running (diagnostic design language)

If you’d like it when I get back to the office on Monday I can send you a pdf of the A-series CE handbook. We also have A900 ERDs

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

3107 North Deer Run Road #24

Carson City, Nevada, 89701

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

a Service Disabled, Veteran Owned Small Business

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me and permanently delete the original and all copies and printouts of this e-mail and any attachments.

On Dec 29, 2018, at 06:07, roland.dietiker@... wrote:

Hello Paul
You own an A900 Box Computer which is upgraded to a A990 (this 3 times faster than the A900) and the latest processor of the A-series.
- The A990 CPU is connected through the memory frontplane with two 3/4 MB memoryboards connectect. This look correct.
but:
- pull out the 8-Channel Mux Card ( HP12040) and set the switches on the left side: form 1 to 8: C O C O O C C C, this sets the Mux to Select Code 30B (B for octal) and arm it for get VCP.
- put the the 8-Channel Mux Card (HP12040) left side of the memory board to the first left slot of the Box (this is the highest priority slot in the box (this has for your case not influence, but the chain of the slots must not have empty slot in between.
-  pull out the HP-IB Card. The switches should be O C C O C O O O  (Select code 27B) 
 - put the HP-IB Card (HP12009A) exactly in the next slot right to the memory board.
- now configure the CPU switch: for runing VCP: C O O C C O C C (Bit 1 to 8 on CPU Switch. 
- connect the cables: for the 8 Channel Mux the 12040 Cable with panel. Connect the Port 0 to the Terminal through a RS232 Cable (male/male), at least Pin 2 to Pin 2, Pin 3 to Pin 3 and Pin 7 to Pin 7
- If you have a HP-IB Disk, like HP79xx with operating system you could connect the Cable to the Interface and Disk. (Disk Address 2 is default) 
- Switch on the A900 and observe the LED's at the processor PCA. It should show 3 LED and on the Console you should get the VCP.

Good luck
Roland 

P Goscombe

Hi.

Thanks for the replies. I have the A900 not the A990. I have the boards in the correct order and I can get a VCP prompt on my terminal emulator. The reported memory size is 0MB. I only have the over the top connector to support 1 memory card. I have two 3/4 and one 8MB card and also a spare memory controller. All configurations report 0MB in VCP. I will re-check the switch settings next week when I'm back home. I have a couple of HP-IB cards and cables, my plan when the machine is stable is to boot RTE from an image on a PC. I've seen this is possible on the WWW.

Thanks.

Paul.

From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> on behalf of Stephen Hanselman <kc4sw.io@...>
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2018 5:27:30 PM
To: VintHPcom@groups.io
Subject: Re: [VintHPcom] HP 1000 A900 #VintageHPComputers

A900 now that brings back memories.  I agree but. From the CE handbook back plane slot 1 is the system disc then cpu the memory then datacom. 
00000111 VCP running

If you’d like it when I get back to the office on Monday I can send you a pdf of the A-series CE handbook. We also have A900 ERDs

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me and permanently delete the original and all copies and printouts of this e-mail and any attachments.

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

David Collins

I’d a copy of the A900 CE handbook for the HP Computer Museum if you have it available - we already have the ERD..

Thanks in advance. 

David Collins

On 29 Dec 2018, at 5:27 pm, Stephen Hanselman <kc4sw.io@...> wrote:

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

P Goscombe

Hi Stephen.

Thank you for the kind offer of the PDF's. I'll check what versions of the manuals I have when I'm at home and report back.

Thanks.

Paul.

From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> on behalf of David Collins <davidkcollins2@...>
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2018 5:44:09 PM

I’d a copy of the A900 CE handbook for the HP Computer Museum if you have it available - we already have the ERD..

Thanks in advance. 

David Collins

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

Roland Dietiker

Hi Paul

First of all, it is an A990 CPU on the picture (Partnr. 12990-60102), you can belive. The A900 consists of more board, (Data Path, Sequenzer, Cache Control, Memorycontroller, this also the reason for the connector on the backplane.

The Box  was build for the A900 (particular the Backplane), but by upgrading to A990 which provide one board only, some sockets must be connected, and they are correctly in place on the photo.

About the memory question:

Disconnect the memory frontplane (12230-60002), check the pins and reconnect it, also carefully.

I have seen an another board left in the picture. Remove it.

You could check each combination with 8MB and 768kB boards, If you own a A990 Connector for 3 memory boards (12230-60003) you could also use all 3.

Check again.

Please note: S7 on Switchbank on the A990 CPU must be DOWN für A990!

The HP1000 CE Handbook could be found

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/hp/1000/RTE-A/A-Series_CE_Handbook.pdf

Roland

Von: VintHPcom@groups.io [mailto:VintHPcom@groups.io] Im Auftrag von P Goscombe
Gesendet: Samstag, 29. Dezember 2018 17:40
An: vinthpcom@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [VintHPcom] HP 1000 A900 #VintageHPComputers

Hi.

Thanks for the replies. I have the A900 not the A990. I have the boards in the correct order and I can get a VCP prompt on my terminal emulator. The reported memory size is 0MB. I only have the over the top connector to support 1 memory card. I have two 3/4 and one 8MB card and also a spare memory controller. All configurations report 0MB in VCP. I will re-check the switch settings next week when I'm back home. I have a couple of HP-IB cards and cables, my plan when the machine is stable is to boot RTE from an image on a PC. I've seen this is possible on the WWW.

Thanks.

Paul.

From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> on behalf of Stephen Hanselman <kc4sw.io@...>

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

P Goscombe

Hi Roland.

The photo picture is not my system. I have an A900. I will post pictures of my system when I'm home next.

Thanks.

Paul.

From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> on behalf of Roland Dietiker <roland.dietiker@...>
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2018 6:10:05 PM

Hi Paul

First of all, it is an A990 CPU on the picture (Partnr. 12990-60102), you can belive. The A900 consists of more board, (Data Path, Sequenzer, Cache Control, Memorycontroller, this also the reason for the connector on the backplane.

The Box  was build for the A900 (particular the Backplane), but by upgrading to A990 which provide one board only, some sockets must be connected, and they are correctly in place on the photo.

Disconnect the memory frontplane (12230-60002), check the pins and reconnect it, also carefully.

You could check each combination with 8MB and 768kB boards, If you own a A990 Connector for 3 memory boards (12230-60003) you could also use all 3.

Check again.

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/hp/1000/RTE-A/A-Series_CE_Handbook.pdf

Roland

Hi.

Thanks.

Paul.

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

Stephen Hanselman

David,

Let me look around and see if I have a second physical copy.  I’ll get the pdf out on Wednesday. Any other CE manuals you want, I have 5 CDs plus other stuff on HP computers

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

On Dec 29, 2018, at 08:44, David Collins <davidkcollins2@...> wrote:

Thanks in advance. 

David Collins

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

Roland Dietiker

Hello Paul

Shows VCP a pretest error or what indicate the LED on the sequencer card? Check this with CE Handbook page 4-15.

Best regards

Roland

Gesendet: Samstag, 29. Dezember 2018 18:20

Hi Roland.

The photo picture is not my system. I have an A900. I will post pictures of my system when I'm home next.

Thanks.

Paul.

From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> on behalf of Roland Dietiker <roland.dietiker@...>

Hi Paul

Check again.

Roland

Hi.

Thanks.

Paul.

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

David Collins

Thanks Steve, I’ve grabbed a copy of the CE Handbook from bitsavers to put up on the museum site..

I’ll let you know if I am missing any other handbooks - soft copies are fine. 

David Collins

On 29 Dec 2018, at 7:44 pm, Stephen Hanselman <kc4sw.io@...> wrote:

David,

Let me look around and see if I have a second physical copy.  I’ll get the pdf out on Wednesday. Any other CE manuals you want, I have 5 CDs plus other stuff on HP computers

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

On Dec 29, 2018, at 08:44, David Collins <davidkcollins2@...> wrote:

Thanks in advance. 

David Collins

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

P Goscombe

Hi,

This is output that I get

Thanks,

Paul.

Sent from Outlook

Sent: 29 December 2018 19:00

Hello Paul

Shows VCP a pretest error or what indicate the LED on the sequencer card? Check this with CE Handbook page 4-15.

Best regards

Roland

Hi Roland.

Thanks.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Check again.

Roland

Hi.

Thanks.

Paul.

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

P Goscombe

Hi. Also some photos of my config

From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> on behalf of P Goscombe <pg31@...>
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2018 6:11:34 PM
To: Roland Dietiker; VintHPcom@groups.io

Hi,

Thanks,

Paul.

Sent from Outlook

Hello Paul

Best regards

Roland

Hi Roland.

Thanks.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Check again.

Roland

Hi.

Thanks.

Paul.

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

P Goscombe

From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> on behalf of P Goscombe <pg31@...>

Hi,

Thanks,

Paul.

Sent from Outlook

Hello Paul

Best regards

Roland

Hi Roland.

Thanks.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Check again.

Roland

Hi.

Thanks.

Paul.

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

P Goscombe

Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2018 6:14:10 PM
To: Roland Dietiker; vinthpcom@groups.io

Hi,

Thanks,

Paul.

Sent from Outlook

Hello Paul

Best regards

Roland

Hi Roland.

Thanks.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Check again.

Roland

Hi.

Thanks.

Paul.

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland 

P Goscombe

Hi,

From the CE handbook the error I'm getting (PTEST ERR 000340 000200) is a memory error in the first 32K. Problem is I've tried 3 memory boards and tow memory controller and I get the same error. I don't have any other cards to try unfortunately. Hence the reason for my first post.

Thanks,

Paul.

Sent from Outlook

Sent: 30 December 2018 18:15

Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2018 6:14:10 PM

Hi,

Thanks,

Paul.

Sent from Outlook

Hello Paul

Best regards

Roland

Hi Roland.

Thanks.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Check again.

Roland

Hi.

Thanks.

Paul.

00000111 VCP running

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

(775) 882-5117 office

(775) 720-6020 mobile

s.hanselman@...

www.datagatesystems.com

DISCLAIMER:

Hello Paul
but:

Good luck
Roland