Paul Berger

The only configuration is the select code for some of the internal devices, the integrated SCSI will default to 14 and you should see that in the boot messages, if you have some DIO adapter plugged in that is set for select code 14 it would interfere.  Normal SCSI bus needs to be terminated at both ends, one end would be terminated on the system board but if the other end comes out to an external connector you may need a terminator.  If you hit enter on the keyboard while it is starting up it will post bootable images it has found in the top right corner and will wait for you to select one before it continues.

Paul.

On 2018-11-02 11:20 AM, Stan wrote:
I just pulled my R/382 out of storage. It was working when I put it away several years ago, but now when I power it up, it passes all the self-tests and then searches for an OS to boot but can't find one. The hard drive has HP BASIC on it, the drive is spinning, but that's as far as I've gotten.

The 2325 coin cell battery on the motherboard was (of course) dead, so I replaced it, but this didn't fix the boot problem. Might this be a configuration that was lost when the old coin cell died?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stan

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply!

I confirmed that the SCSI adapter is the only interface set for select code 14. I looked at the configuration info and it is correct. I put a blank floppy into the drive to see if the system would scan the floppy while looking for a system to load, but nothing happened, other than the drive spinning the floppy for a second as it was inserted. The hard drive activity light flashes briefly every ten seconds or so, but again, nothing happens.

As I said, this computer was stored away in working condition several years ago and nothing has disturbed it since then, so I’m not sure where to look next.

One thing I haven’t checked is the power supplies, but I would have thought that a failure of any one of them would have shown up as an error, or a series of errors at power-on, assuming that the computer even powered on at all.

Regards,
Stan

On 2018-11-02 11:20 AM, Stan wrote:

I just pulled my R/382 out of storage. It was working when I put it away several years ago, but now when I power it up, it passes all the self-tests and then searches for an OS to boot but can't find one. The hard drive has HP BASIC on it, the drive is spinning, but that's as far as I've gotten.

The 2325 coin cell battery on the motherboard was (of course) dead, so I replaced it, but this didn't fix the boot problem. Might this be a configuration that was lost when the old coin cell died?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Vassilis PREVELAKIS (series80.org)

Hi Stan,

I have a working R/382 sitting next to me, with HP BASIC installed, so if you need any tests or whatever help, let me know.

BTW is the R/382 connected to your LAN? Because you can try to boot off the LAN so see if it tries to do smth.

It would also be helpful if you can also upload screendumps from the boot sequence.

**vp
www.series80.org

Stan

Hi Vassilis,

Thanks for the offer to help! I’m not near the R/382 right now, but as soon as I am, I’ll post a photo of the boot screen.

I have the Eventide LAN card with an AUI connector. I’ll have to find an adapter to hook it to my network, but there’s nothing on my network that it could boot from anyway, so I’m not sure what I’d be looking for.

Other than the regular flashing of the HDD LED, there’s no indication of any OS search activity. The boot screen itself looks perfectly normal to me, and it says that it is searching for an OS, but never finds one. Should it be trying to access the floppy drive as well during the search? The reason I ask is that I put a blank floppy in the drive, but the drive doesn’t look like it’s being accesssed.

Stan

I have a working R/382 sitting next to me, with HP BASIC installed, so if you need any tests or whatever help, let me know.

BTW is the R/382 connected to your LAN? Because you can try to boot off the LAN so see if it tries to do smth.

It would also be helpful if you can also upload screendumps from the boot sequence.

**vp
www.series80.org

Paul Berger

Stan,

It seems there are two versions of internal SCSI cable, one with an external connector and the other without.  The picture of the inside of a R/382 on hpmuseum.net shows the cable without the external connector and that cable appears to have a terminator crimped onto the cable just past the diskette drive.  One thing that happens some times with failing parallel SCSI devices is when they are failing they can mess up the whole bus, you might want to try unplugging one or the other devices and see if that gets you anywhere.  Do you have a HPIB floppy disk unit available to you? or perhaps Ansgar Kückes's HPIB disk emulation http://hp9845.net/9845/projects/hpdrive/ That is another possible boot device that would be separate from the SCSI bus.  There is a bootable diskette image available on hpmuseum.net.

Paul.

I have a working R/382 sitting next to me, with HP BASIC installed, so if you need any tests or whatever help, let me know.

BTW is the R/382 connected to your LAN? Because you can try to boot off the LAN so see if it tries to do smth.

It would also be helpful if you can also upload screendumps from the boot sequence.

**vp
www.series80.org

Vassilis PREVELAKIS (series80.org)

but there’s nothing on my network that it could boot from anyway, so I’m not sure what I’d be looking for.
I'd be looking for any kind of packets on the LAN with the MAC address of the R/382.
If you get this, then you know that its trying to boot off the LAN so the machine is in fact booting and the problem is in SCSI. I think I managed to boot OpenBSD diskless, but the video display of the R/382 is not supported by OpenBSD (not even as a boot display), so that did not go far.

Now to diagnose the SCSI you need to have only one device on the bus. So open up the machine and disconnect the HD, leaving only the floppy which is SCSI as well.
Then try to boot off the floppy. If that works then the HD is probably bad. Maybe its head is stuck, so connect just the HD (not the floppy) and listen carefully while it tries to boot to hear (a) the motor spinning the disk, and (b) the heads moving. With all the noice from the fan of the R/382 this is going to be a bit hard so try it with the disk sitting on the floppy drive so that you can get close to it.

**vp
www.series80.org

Kuba Ober

I don’t know what vintage the hard drive is on that machine, but I had some drives in the 80s that used a stepper as a head actuator, with a solenoid that unlocked the head motion. The sequence of operations was: spindle spinup, the ATSPEED internal signal then released the solenoid and allowed the head to seek. Perhaps that could be of some use to know what to look for, should it be a similar drive.

Cheers, Kuba

4 nov. 2018 kl. 05:57 skrev Vassilis PREVELAKIS (series80.org) <series80@...>:

[...]

I want to disconnect the hard drive from the SCSI bus to see if that changes my boot up problem at all. It looks like the easiest (only?) way to get to the hard drive is to slide out the floppy drive. I've released the lever and pressed in the black latch on the right side of the floppy drive tray, but I can only get the tray to come forward about 1/8", then the right side rail hangs up and I can't tell what it's catching on. Any ideas about what may be going on and how to remedy it?

Ultimately I want be able to remove the floppy drive tray, but for now if anyone knows of another way to get to the hard drive connector without removing the tray, at least I can make some progress on the boot up troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Stan

Stan

I figured out why I couldn't get the floppy to slide out of the front of my R/382: the front panel bezel obstructs the rails of the floppy tray, so I had to remove the bezel (not difficult). Once I did that the tray slid right out.

Unfortunately, disconnecting the hard drive to see if the R/382 would try to boot from the floppy did not work. It still behaves as before. I haven't (yet) tried to see if it will send packets to the LAN. I guess that's the next step!

Stan