Topics

Viper version of the SS/80 Exerciser software

Tony Goodhew

Hi All,

I've started work on cleaning up the drives in the 9122D unit and they're moving freely but still failing to initialize. While I was reading the service manual I noted a mention of an automated service program called the "SS/80 Exerciser".

I've looked around for this and found a link to a Teledisk version of something I assume is similar - The CS/80 Exerciser (http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=249) and then links saying this TD0 is corrupt and that a fixed version exists over at GitHub (https://github.com/magore/hp85disk/tree/master/lif).

However I have had no success in getting any of these to work using the HP 82324A Viper card. I either get errors when writing to the PC drive (where I can format the LIF disk but the TD0 seems to have sector errors towards the end) or I can get a LIF disk but the file format is unrecognized by the Viper card (GET, LOAD, etc all return incorrect file format).

Anyone happen to have a working version of this or any tips for what I might not be doing to get the software to run?

Thanks,

TonyG

Tony,

That version only runs on a 9816 / 68K processor, not on a 68030 processor.

The software is built around the P-system OS, it’s a compiled Pascal program.

-Rik

[...]

Thanks Rik, I’ll stop poking at it then.

Do you happen to know if there ever was a version of the SS/80 Exerciser that would work with the Viper? Or should I just content myself with the inbuilt self test options for the 9122D?

Thanks

TonyG

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

I don't know if there are other versions, but I've never seen them.

-Rik

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 11:31 PM +0200, "Tony Goodhew" <tony_goodhew@...> wrote:

[...]

Sven Schnelle <svens@...>

Hi Rik,

are you sure about that? I used various Pascal compiled programs on my
'030 systems - including the 300 Series Test Software, Pascal itself,
and also the CS/80 Exerciser (ok, i only booted it because i have no
CS/80 drives). What's definitely the case is that these programs don't
run on the '040 which was used in the /380 and /382, because that
processor used different exception stack frames that this software can't
handle. At least not the versions i have. Pascal was available for the
/38x though.

Regards
Sven

On 09/10/2018 11:28 PM, Rik Bos wrote:

[...]

Hi Tony,

i have various /300 systems and a 9122D floppy drive. If you want, i can
fetch the LIF files from the disk and test whether the CS/80 disk
exerciser works at all with the 9122D floppy drive.

Regards

Sven

On 09/10/2018 10:01 PM, Tony Goodhew wrote:
[...]

i did a quick test in a virtual /360 with a 9122D floppy drive (also
virtual), and the CS80 Exerciser states that it doesn't support SS/80:

http://stackframe.org/cs80.png

So you definitely don't have to worry about getting this thing to run on
your Viper card.

[...]

Thanks Sven – Appreciate it – Looks like I’ll need to try and find the original SS/80 program mentioned by the service manual:

(pg 4-6) If an HP-85 and the SS/80 Exerciser, P/N 5010-0310, are available it is recommended that the Exerciser be used to diagnose the failure and verify a repair.

Really appreciate you going to the effort to test.

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstackframe.org%2Fcs80.png&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Ca7cf4fa3e53f46e0c56508d617b2fe1d%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636722454860389548&amp;sdata=OCaxFzxVMcmILk55mNXpbHBeBlCJ2k0qovMDRmN1e%2FQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

So you definitely don't have to worry about getting this thing to run on
your Viper card.

Regards

Sven

On 09/10/2018 10:01 PM, Tony Goodhew wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've started work on cleaning up the drives in the 9122D unit and
> they're moving freely but still failing to initialize. While I was
> reading the service manual I noted a mention of an automated service
> program called the "SS/80 Exerciser".
>
> I've looked around for this and found a link to a Teledisk version of
> something I assume is similar - The CS/80 Exerciser
> (https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hpmuseum.net%2Fdisplay_item.php%3Fsw%3D249&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Ca7cf4fa3e53f46e0c56508d617b2fe1d%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636722454860389548&amp;sdata=OgJga6nlHIuKAC6C5lp7KcxnLh3sANbAIpQIMOSr%2BTk%3D&amp;reserved=0) and then links
> saying this TD0 is corrupt and that a fixed version exists over at
> GitHub (https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fmagore%2Fhp85disk%2Ftree%2Fmaster%2Flif&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Ca7cf4fa3e53f46e0c56508d617b2fe1d%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636722454860389548&amp;sdata=6RzdUkhMlGhTzI4cLB5xv0%2Fsekc0k0JJNsCInJO8ldY%3D&amp;reserved=0).
>
> However I have had no success in getting any of these to work using
> the HP 82324A Viper card. I either get errors when writing to the PC
> drive (where I can format the LIF disk but the TD0 seems to have
> sector errors towards the end) or I can get a LIF disk but the file
> format is unrecognized by the Viper card (GET, LOAD, etc all return
> incorrect file format).
>
> Anyone happen to have a working version of this or any tips for what I
> might not be doing to get the software to run?
>
> Thanks,
>
> TonyG

Tony Goodhew

Actually it looks like this was originally on a HP85 tape and the SERVC module which would be most useful doesn’t seem to be included on any oif the tape to image conversions.

Thanks again everyone for the help – Really appreciate it.