HP 9845 repairs - smoke recharged!

François Lanciault

On May 4, 2018, at 22:43, Jack Rubin <j@ckrubin.us> wrote:

Now it's time to RTFM and figure out how to make it do tricks.

Congratulation Jack!

You can always start by loading and running the demo I wrote for the 98780 equipped 9845 computers. You might has seen it running on the fabulous 9845T emulator but nothing beats looking at it on real hardware !

François

Paul Bicknell

Hi François

You talk about a demo do you have any demos that run on hp basic 4.1 also
looking for programs for the 70000 MMS equipment

Regards Paul b

-----Original Message-----
From: VintHPcom@groups.io [mailto:VintHPcom@groups.io] On Behalf Of François
Lanciault
Sent: 05 May 2018 06:31
To: VintHPcom@groups.io
Subject: Re: [VintHPcom] HP 9845 repairs - smoke recharged!

On May 4, 2018, at 22:43, Jack Rubin <j@ckrubin.us> wrote:

Now it's time to RTFM and figure out how to make it do tricks.
Congratulation Jack!

You can always start by loading and running the demo I wrote for the 98780
equipped 9845 computers. You might has seen it running on the fabulous 9845T
emulator but nothing beats looking at it on real hardware !

François
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#611): https://groups.io/g/VintHPcom/message/611
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/VintHPcom/topic/18418217
New Topic: https://groups.io/g/VintHPcom/post

Group Home: https://groups.io/g/VintHPcom
Contact Group Owner: VintHPcom+owner@groups.io

Ansgar

For Francois' 9845 demo I guess you might need some advice. Check my 9845 emulator page (http://hp9845.net/9845/projects/emulator/#downloads) and get the supplemental files package, This one also includes demo.hpi with demos for the 9845 in the discs directory. Mount that image (e.g. with HPDrive) and load & run FLDEMO. VERY impressive what Francois has created for the 9845 with fast monochrome graphics (does not run on standard or color graphics) !

-Ansgar

Jack Rubin

I'm looking forward to it!

I'm in the fortunate but frustrating situation of moving my collection to a new work space - my "stuff" is divided between two locations about two hours apart. The 9845 is "home" with me; my HPDrive and peripherals are at the (soon-to-be) Computerarium. I expect to be moving the 9845 on Monday and look forward to adding some mass storage to it then.

BTW, the new location is (somewhat) closer to Quebec, if you're ever headed out this way!

Jack

2 hours apart ??

You’re going to spend a lot of time travelling 😉

But Jack congrats, nice work.

-Rik

I'm in the fortunate but frustrating situation of moving my collection to a new work space - my "stuff" is divided between two locations about two hours apart. The 9845 is "home" with me; my HPDrive and peripherals are at the (soon-to-be) Computerarium. I expect to be moving the 9845 on Monday and look forward to adding some mass storage to it then.

BTW, the new location is (somewhat) closer to Quebec, if you're ever headed out this way!

It's a "burden" I'm happy to live with - the Computerarium sits in the woods on a rural site with a quiet lake nearby. Once the collection is fully resident there, I plan to make it my primary residence as well. It will be the largest collection of almost-operational vintage computers in south-western Michigan. It will also be the only such collection in the area. :>)

Not quite the Datormusem of Dalby, but in the same vein.

Jack

Afbeelding

You mean this place ;)

-Rik

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 10:08 PM +0200, "Jack Rubin" <j@...> wrote:

It's a "burden" I'm happy to live with - the Computerarium sits in the woods on a rural site with a quiet lake nearby. Once the collection is fully resident there, I plan to make it my primary residence as well. It will be the largest collection of almost-operational vintage computers in south-western Michigan. It will also be the only such collection in the area. :>)

Not quite the Datormusem of Dalby, but in the same vein.

Pretty much, except for that treacherous French machine in the foreground. :>).

Same color scheme, more windows. The Computerarium is in the back. :>(

Jack

Awesome, we stand by for a visit when it's ready!
Marc

Paul Bicknell

Hi all re just a fun line on the smoke

When helping someone new to electronics that wants to learn by repairing electronics

Most times I com out with the line that

electronics is just smoke and the problem is the smoke has escaped so replace the item the smoke escaped from and also the thing that made it escape

when this method works it puts a smile on the newbie to electronics and often inspires them to make electronics their job

this is another reason I don’t allow cigarette smoking in any lab environment / repair shop as it confuses things

within the last 18 months I have had 4 of the IEC mains filter sockets smoke and had to replace to repair the instrument

( the filter sockets make a nasty smell worse than a cap, so is normally easily recognised )

regards Paul

Awesome, we stand by for a visit when it's ready!
Marc

No virus found in this message.

I think I need a boat 😉

Or learn to fly, or like Pratchett said flying isn’t the problem save landing is..

-Rik