Re: 9825 restoration notes and questions

For the tape drive error 43, this is caused by bits 3 (power off), 1 (servo failed), or 0 (unexpected BOT/EOT) of the tape controller's status register (R5) being set. These will be placed into bits 15, 13 or 12 of the ‘errwd’ (RAM base page word) by the ‘stsaf’ routine of the tape driver firmware.

At power up, the this will be caused by the probe of the tape drive during the implicit ‘ldp 0’ executed by the Extended I/O ROM at initialization time. Thus, if you see the error 43, that implies that the Extended I/O ROM is present and functional.