Re: hp 2100A housing wanted

Paul Birkel

Agree with Stephen.  Note that you’ll need to generate some non-“standard” voltages.  HP used CTuL logic devices in numerous places – not TTL.  The voltage requirements are +4.5 VDC and -2.0 VDC; not the “modern” +5VDC and zero used with TTL.  You might need to build your own switcher for the -2.0 VDC; not sure whether you can reliably tweak a +5 VDC switcher down as far as +4.5 VDC.  That’s also a pretty tight space in which to work; the original supply was a jam-packed work of engineering art!  You have your work cut out for you in building a replacement power supply.

Of course, if you’re building your own cabinet then you have more “packing options” than the original design.  Don’t forget ventilation …

From: VintHPcom@groups.io [mailto:VintHPcom@groups.io] On Behalf Of Stephen Hanselman
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2021 9:16 PM
To: VintHPcom@groups.io
Subject: Re: [VintHPcom] hp 2100A housing wanted

Sorry, we sold all our stuff about 6 months ago. But you should look for the 2100 PS, it is a high efficiency SMPS and it fits the housing.

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman

Datagate Systems, LLC

On Feb 27, 2021, at 08:11, ChrisBeee via groups.io <chrisbeee@...> wrote:

Hello,
I recently bought a set of 2100A cards, a backplane harness and a System Manual (1975) from a local seller. The plan is to revive the system even though it is missing the housing and PS (it was scrapped because of the metals, no comment about that :-( ...). I was planning to make a custom front panel, add a power supply and maybe buy some more memory (I have only one 8k-word card) and additional I/O cards later.
Two questions at this point:
- Before I get too deeply into recreating the missing peripherial components and housing: is there anybody out there who has an empty 2100A enclosure sitting around he/she would probably part with? Not necessary to get the PS because I am planning to drive the whole thing with a high efficiency SMPS anyway. Any offers are very welcome!
- Would there be a demand to scan the System Manual and put it in the files section? This is a huge book (about 3" thick) and it would take a while to scan, but I'd be happy to take up the job if there is some use for it.
Cheers
Chris

-- cross-posting this on HP2000 Family --