Re: HP 4955A in Good Shape-- HPIB Interface for storing Basic Programs to a Modern Machine, possibly using HPDrive software over HPIB?

Paul Berger

On 2020-02-21 1:23 a.m., greg.linder@... wrote:
Yeah-

This is all correct. It definitely has the TACO chip, and a native HP-IB port. I understand that getting reliable media for the tape drives is sort of iffy these days, and I only have (2) tapes that came with the machine anyways. I'm planning on rebuilding the tape drives when I clean off the Bench, and I understand these can be rebuilt and could (possibly) give a way to store some data.
Most of the old DC-100 cartridges you will find these days are likely to have degraded to the point where they no longer work.  I purchased a sealed box of 3M DC-100 tapes and not a single one was any good.  There is a company you can get new DC-100 tapes from https://www.athana.com/html/dc.html they don't quote prices on their web site, but I don't expect they will be cheap.  I got a couple of their cartridges from an acquaintance and they do work.  The other option is to convert the drives to use QIC40 tapes (DC2000) these tapes are more readily available.

However, I'd like to be able to transfer data to/from this machine, ideally using the HP-IB port. The manual says that you can use the onboard HP-IB port to control other equipment, but I'm not sure what that means in terms of making it work the HP Drive software.

Does the documentation have any information on using external storage?  If so HPdrive can emulate a wide variety of HPIB storage devices that would have been available at the time this machine was new.

Cheers,
-Greg