Instruments was founded in 1976 or 1977, so NI chips from the "early
1970s" would have been a pretty good trick, but perhaps I'm wrong.

-Dave

On 2/3/20 10:01 AM, Rik Bos wrote:
No, he and me are talking about NI not TI, TI 7400 logic has a longer lifespan as for the IC's used in the HP 98X0 series calculators.
Date stamp early '70th.

-Rik

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> Namens Dave McGuire
Verzonden: maandag 3 februari 2020 15:47
Aan: VintHPcom@groups.io
Onderwerp: Re: [VintHPcom] HP 9821 - display and tape transport issues
#VintageHPComputers

On 2/3/20 4:46 AM, Achim Buerger wrote:
The 'die without notice' applies to all TTL chips made by NI in the
early 1970s. I had to replace dozens of ICs in my various 98xx
calculators and peripherals and in 99% they where made by National
Instruments. If I get a defective 98xx board I first check all NI
chips by means of a logic comparator. NI seemed to have problems with
long term stability of their TTL ICs in the 1970s. The dying already
began in the 1990s and still continues. Some times I thought about
exchanging all NI chips prophylactic, but that would cause a lot of
work in my ~20 devices. Moreover, some chips are hard to find these days.
Pretty sure you mean "Texas Instruments", not "National Instruments".