Re: Unsecuring old HP Basic software

Dave McGuire

On 8/23/19 3:59 PM, Tony Goodhew wrote:
Apologies in advance if this is an outlawed topic but I'm looking for
information on how to "unsecure" some old HP basic software. I'm
referring to software that loads into HP or RMB basic, mostly on old
Series 200/300 machines that when you try to list it all you see is
asterisks.

I see mention of people having a utility or having their own software
that does the decryption (often referred to as "Unsecure") but I've
never actually seen the utility/source anywhere.

The reason I'm looking into this is that I have some old HP test gear
calibration software that runs on my HP Viper card but I'd like to move
it either to HP Basic on Windows or to a more modern language. I'm not
so much worried about porting the flow as I am in the specific
calculations/methods they're using to calibrate stuff (for example
setting up special functions on the calibration gear like filters,
attenuators etc on an 8902A).

If anyone happens to be able to point me in the right direction to
either a utility, program or notes on the 'secure' process for reverse
engineering I'd really appreciate it.
I had thought I heard at one point that it was something silly like
the high bit was set in the first byte of the line number, or something
equally trivial. Does anyone know anything about that?