Unsecuring old HP Basic software

Tony Goodhew

Hey ALl,

Apologies in advance if this is an outlawed topic but I'm looking for information on how to "unsecure" some old HP basic software. I'm referring to software that loads into HP or RMB basic, mostly on old Series 200/300 machines that when you try to list it all you see is asterisks.

I see mention of people having a utility or having their own software that does the decryption (often referred to as "Unsecure") but I've never actually seen the utility/source anywhere.

The reason I'm looking into this is that I have some old HP test gear calibration software that runs on my HP Viper card but I'd like to move it either to HP Basic on Windows or to a more modern language. I'm not so much worried about porting the flow as I am in the specific calculations/methods they're using to calibrate stuff (for example setting up special functions on the calibration gear like filters, attenuators etc on an 8902A).

If anyone happens to be able to point me in the right direction to either a utility, program or notes on the 'secure' process for reverse engineering I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

TonyG