9885 disc on 9825 machine - getting closer

Jack Rubin

A recent trip to Los Angeles resulted in a working 9885M drive and so I got back to work on the disk initialization project. The current version of Ansgar Kueckes' HPDir program allows you to create a 9885 disk on a 9895 drive with the incantation 'hpdir -initialize -9885 -s 9825 <msus>'. Once I realized that Ansgar's syntax added an extra zero to the msus (e.g. with my 9895 addressed as 7, the first drive is 7070: and the second drive is 7071:), I was able to [apparently] initialize a disk for my 9885 drive. 

The 'apparently' part came when I hooked the 9885 drive up to my 9825A with the 98217A Disk ROM in place and attempted to access the drive. I heard contacts close and open in the drive cabinet as I powered the 9825 up and down but any attempt to use disk commands resulted in an 'error 03' - mnemonic unknown - on the 9825 console.

Is this a Catch-22? Do I still need the Disk System Cartridge (tape) to 'boot' the disk subsystem before new disk related commands become active? Or is it possible that my ROM is not being accessed?

Thanks,

Jack

Join VintHPcom@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.