Re: HP 264x tape drive write current for Athana/DC2000 tapes (was HP 5420)

Jack Rubin

I don’t know the answer but after visiting the treasure trove of 264x service manuals on bitsavers, I’ve got to believe the information you need is in there somewhere. I’m still digesting the cartridge tape manual (13255-91032) that Rik pointed to. I wish HP had continued that level of detail with their other desktop machines.

Jack

From: VintHPcom@groups.io [mailto:VintHPcom@groups.io] On Behalf Of CuriousMarc
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 10:12 PM
To: VintHPcom@groups.io
Subject: Re: [VintHPcom] HP 264x tape drive write current for Athana/DC2000 tapes (was HP 5420)

Another trick question for HP264x afficionados. This one is specific to the HP 2647. The HP 2647A came with tapes but no flex disc, and the HP 2647F came with the flex disc but no tapes. Does one know if it is possible to add 2 tapes to an HP 2647F? So it ends up with both tapes and disc, and can copy one to the other? I am sure I can add the tape hardware (there are at least two slots available for the cards and space for the tape drives), but does anyone know:

- Would I need to add a tape ROM firmware support top the F? Or is it included in the 2647F base set, inherited from the A?

- Would the firmware allow to copy tape to disc and vice versa?

If that were possible, that would be quite convenient to archive 264x tapes to 5.25" disc, then make dump images of that on a PC.

Marc