From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Berger
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 9:39 AM
To: VintHPcom@groups.io
Subject: Re: [VintHPcom] R/382 Computer can't find OS

The only configuration is the select code for some of the internal devices, the integrated SCSI will default to 14 and you should see that in the boot messages, if you have some DIO adapter plugged in that is set for select code 14 it would interfere.  Normal SCSI bus needs to be terminated at both ends, one end would be terminated on the system board but if the other end comes out to an external connector you may need a terminator.  If you hit enter on the keyboard while it is starting up it will post bootable images it has found in the top right corner and will wait for you to select one before it continues.

Paul.

On 2018-11-02 11:20 AM, Stan wrote:

I just pulled my R/382 out of storage. It was working when I put it away several years ago, but now when I power it up, it passes all the self-tests and then searches for an OS to boot but can't find one. The hard drive has HP BASIC on it, the drive is spinning, but that's as far as I've gotten.

The 2325 coin cell battery on the motherboard was (of course) dead, so I replaced it, but this didn't fix the boot problem. Might this be a configuration that was lost when the old coin cell died?

Any ideas?

Thanks!