Re: Viper version of the SS/80 Exerciser software

Tony Goodhew

Thanks Rik, I’ll stop poking at it then.

Do you happen to know if there ever was a version of the SS/80 Exerciser that would work with the Viper? Or should I just content myself with the inbuilt self test options for the 9122D?

Thanks

TonyG

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> on behalf of Rik Bos <hp-fix@...>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 2:28:34 PM
To: VintHPcom@groups.io
Subject: Re: [VintHPcom] Viper version of the SS/80 Exerciser software

Tony,

That version only runs on a 9816 / 68K processor, not on a 68030 processor.

The software is built around the P-system OS, it’s a compiled Pascal program.

-Rik

Van: VintHPcom@groups.io <VintHPcom@groups.io> Namens Tony Goodhew
Verzonden: maandag 10 september 2018 22:02
Aan: VintHPcom@groups.io
Onderwerp: [VintHPcom] Viper version of the SS/80 Exerciser software

Hi All,

I've started work on cleaning up the drives in the 9122D unit and they're moving freely but still failing to initialize. While I was reading the service manual I noted a mention of an automated service program called the "SS/80 Exerciser".

I've looked around for this and found a link to a Teledisk version of something I assume is similar - The CS/80 Exerciser (http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=249) and then links saying this TD0 is corrupt and that a fixed version exists over at GitHub (https://github.com/magore/hp85disk/tree/master/lif).

However I have had no success in getting any of these to work using the HP 82324A Viper card. I either get errors when writing to the PC drive (where I can format the LIF disk but the TD0 seems to have sector errors towards the end) or I can get a LIF disk but the file format is unrecognized by the Viper card (GET, LOAD, etc all return incorrect file format).

Anyone happen to have a working version of this or any tips for what I might not be doing to get the software to run?

Thanks,

TonyG

Join VintHPcom@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.