Topics

What is this Propagation on 23cm's ?

Nick Gregory G0HIK

I went out portable for a few hours today on 23cms, thanks all for the QSO's.

I believe conditions were poor today and around half of my contacts were from A/S I believe.

While out I checked the Stoke Beacon GB3SE, it's a distance of around 150km, it wasn't strong but audible all the time.
The strange thing swinging the beam over 180 degrees brought it in at roughly the same strength. I checked this occasionally for the 2 1/2 hours I was out and it was the same every time.
I checked the rain radar and no rain clouds were in evidence and I heard no Doppler on it. Everyone else I worked I could beam up on.

What is happening here ?

Thanks Nick G0HIK

militaryoperator

I went out portable for a few hours today on 23cms, thanks all for the QSO's.
I believe conditions were poor today and around half of my contacts were from A/S I believe.
While out I checked the Stoke Beacon GB3SE, it's a distance of around 150km, it wasn't strong but audible all the time.
The strange thing swinging the beam over 180 degrees brought it in at roughly the same strength. I checked this occasionally for the 2 1/2 hours I was out and it was the same every time.
I checked the rain radar and no rain clouds were in evidence and I heard no Doppler on it. Everyone else I worked I could beam up on.
What is happening here ?
Thanks Nick G0HIK
----------------------------------

Thanks for the couple of tries Nick. Sorry we couldn't make it.

Quite poor for me as well. What doesn't help is folk who appear to be logged on to KST but fail to reply when meeped, quite a few, maybe they'd gone for lunch and forgot to disconnect?

Also nice to have folk calling over you when trying to make a weak contact, jumping in and getting their few 'desperate' points, real polite.

Hey ho.

I was copying GB3USK solid but no replies to CQ's, there mut be a few south of me. Tried with PE1CKK, could hear him but not him me today. Worked before.

So, typically, bright sunshine here now.

Ben G4BXD

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Yes KST a blessing and curse. But I don't think I would have made many/any QSO's today without it.

Nick G0HIK

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Personally, I never mind if I am struggling with a weak one and someone much stronger jumps in, does a quick exchange and clears off.  It takes moments, nothing is lost.  Maybe they had a quick bit of AS or something that opened up for them. Best to take the opportunities as they present themselves, they may not come again.

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 16:19, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Not the way I was taught to be a radio amateur.

If simply walking over everyone is require just to get a few points for a 'contest' that has little meaning in real life then I guess its indicative of the state of the hobby, and some of its participants these days.

signed:  Ben G4BXD

Pete - GM4BYF

Not knowing your location, but 23cm reflects very well from hills. I habitually use local hills for reflection on otherwise obscured paths.

73
Pete GM4BYF

--
vry 73
Pete GM4BYF

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Shrug, it never bothers me, I just wait the 20 seconds while they finish and then carry on.

If there are multiple people calling in, then yes, it is a bit of a pain  but if someone just quickly calls in and exchanges and clears that's fine by me,  the "weak" station is probably losing points/contacts while trying to work me, so the points he picks up from the "breaker" help me as well, as it means he is more likely to continue trying to work me if he can pick up a few along the way.

I agree it might be a bit rude in normal QSO etc, but in a contest, not so much. The other station is of course free to say "break station please stand by", he doesn't have to work him ...   Few things annoy me on the radio these days, I must be mellowing out :)

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 at 17:15, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Personally, I never mind if I am struggling with a weak one and someone much stronger jumps in, does a quick exchange and clears off.  It takes moments, nothing is lost.  Maybe they had a quick bit of AS or something that opened up for them. Best to take the opportunities as they present themselves, they may not come again.

Not the way I was taught to be a radio amateur.

If simply walking over everyone is require just to get a few points for a 'contest' that has little meaning in real life then I guess its indicative of the state of the hobby, and some of its participants these days.

signed:  Ben G4BXD

steve G1PPA

Ben
They may not of heard you on that frequency on 23cm , as most beams are fairly sharp and more
Are now using a dish, to be fair i was working a station to the west after qso beamed South and heard another station in qso, i think most contesters do try to avoid one another on microwave bands. 144 is a another story
G1PPA

militaryoperator

Ben
They may not of heard you on that frequency on 23cm , as most beams are fairly sharp and more
Are now using a dish, to be fair i was working a station to the west after qso beamed South and heard another station in qso, i think most contesters do try to avoid one another on microwave bands. 144 is a another story
G1PPA

No G1PPA, rude station was close and S9.

Still, thats life.

Ben

steve G1PPA

OK Ben
I understand agree its wrong and disappointing
Steve
G1PPA

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

What I usually do if I hear one I want in QSO with someone else is to wait to the end of the QSO and if the "wanted" one is frequency "owner" then all is good, and if not then a quick "XXX up 25 please" is all it needs, then go up 25 kcs and start calling them.  it either works or it doesn't.

On a quiet band where there is not much going on, I've had people call into a QSO and we've all worked each other, happy faces all round.