Topics

Wanted SMA/N-type to WG16 transitions

Mike GD6ICR

Can anyone help or point me to a source of SMA or N-type to WG16 transitions for a penny feed type dish for testing preferably with a flange

Thanks
--
Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Mike, If you can't find any for sensible money, I'm making some while I'm on holiday next week. They will be milled from solid aluminium, with integral flanges and decent SMAs.  I've been a bit held up with not having access to a 10GHz-capable VNA because of lockdown, but I've bodged up a signal source and directional couplers, so fingers crossed I'll be able to test by the middle of the week if this YIG does the job.  I have a fairly large slab of orders for heatspreaders and SHF antenna bits to clear, so it will probably be next weekend before I have any transitions ready to ship.

Usual deal, I'm not doing this for the money, and I don't want to make a large batch, but I need a couple for myself, and a few folks have asked for them, so it's easy to make some extras while I have the machines and fixtures set up.  I'm happy to do make some up for the cost of materials, wastage and toolery, for bona-fide experimenters only (ie folks on this list!).    Although I can do sealing grooves and/or choke rings (UG-136/U pattern), the standard version will have a plain lapped face (UG-135/U pattern).  The cavity will have rounded corners, but the performance of the test one I made was indistinguishable from that of a commercial rectangular section version. I can do them in brass or copper real waveguide as well, but ally should be perfectly fine for most uses and doesn't need any beastly soldering.

I'm hoping not to need any tuning screws, and expecting 7% bandwidth if my machining is up to snuff. The standard hole size is 0.169", but I can ream them to 4.1 mm if you are using M4 screws. Cost should be a good SMA socket (Radiall R125414000 or similar) plus about £6 for the transition body and around £3 postage.  The last batch of those SMAs I bought cost about £12 each, but they are totally the business.

Neil G4DBN

On 04/09/2020 16:50, Mike Webb wrote:
Can anyone help or point me to a source of SMA or N-type to WG16 transitions for a penny feed type dish for testing preferably with a flange

Thanks
--
Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW

Mike GD6ICR

Not sure whats happened here but I sent you an email direct asking for two of the WG16 transitions complete. Ive found some dont send because of spam blocks so Im replying on Groups

Appreciate a direct reply if possible

TIA
--
Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Mike, I replied direct before, so I guess it must have been blocked somewhere.  I suspect there are spammers using the same server farm where my hosting provider runs my email and web service, so my mails do get blocked by some providers from time to time. Hope this reaches you OK.

I'll take you off the order list for the transitions.   Replying direct and on the forum just to be sure.

I'll be making up a batch of SMA to WR90 transitions over the weekend, as I've now received the 8 mm radiused-corner centre cutting three-flute carbide slot drills from Cutwel.

Neil G4DBN

On 18/09/2020 16:42, Mike Webb wrote:
Not sure whats happened here but I sent you an email direct asking for two of the WG16 transitions complete. Ive found some dont send because of spam blocks so Im replying on Groups

Appreciate a direct reply if possible

TIA
--
Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW