Topics

[VK-Microwave] Mini-Kits.au 13cm tvtr oscillation

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

OK, I think I see my problem .. changing the caps didn't help.

I built the kit with everything on the top side ... including the DC connectors and the LED, load resistor ... and I mounted the board "top side up".

My oscillation is almost certainly because I have a high gain QRO amplifier on the output (+15dBm in, 170W out) ... and the feedback loop includes the PA and the strip on the input.  Without the PA, into a pad and a spectrum analyser the output is clean and stable.   With a 10dB pad between the tvtr and the amp, it still oscillates, but moving my hand over board, I can reduce or stop the oscillation, do I do think it is RF from the PA getting back into that stripline on the amp input, because I have the board mounted "topside" up! The 10dB pad should ensure the tvtr is seeing a good match, so I really don't think it is the tvtr stages oscillating on their own, it is the overall loop gain with the PA, and the board mounted "topside up" is exposing the transmit input stripline.

I shall swap the connectors, LEDs and load resistor to the back of the board and mount it "topside down", which should shield the input to the TX chain effectively from stray RF.  I strongly suspect that is my problem .. not following the instructions!  Failing that, I'll try a shileding can, but I suspect simply mounting it as designed will sort it!

image.png

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 02:07, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Rob,

That's good to hear, it's probably just me then. I shall replace all the C's just in case, if others have had success, then there is no reason mine should be any different.

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 01:57, Rob Whitmore <vandwhit@...> wrote:
Hi Robin,

I have constructed one of these kits and it performs exactly as
described in the construction notes without oscillations.

May I suggest that you check all the bypass caps for any cracks or any
poor solder joints. The components are tiny and errors are easily made.

A tinplate box may not be the answer as this could create another issue
of "wave guiding" within the structure.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rob