VHF Design Preamp mounting ?

Tim, VK2XAX

Hi all,

I've recently received a set of VHF Design pre-amps for 2m,70cm and 1296 so now I have to work out some sort of enclosure for each of them to mount on the tower.

While I have ideas about how I might do this I'm interested to hear from anyone who has already done this and the parts they used.

thanks

Tim

--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA

Oguzhan Kayhan

I bought some ip67 enclosures from a local seller (outdoor electric plastic boxes can also do fine) and using over 4 years without a problem
 Go give an idea something like this

8 Tem 2021 Per 10:50 tarihinde Tim, VK2XAX <VK2XAX@...> şunu yazdı:

Hi all,

I've recently received a set of VHF Design pre-amps for 2m,70cm and 1296
so now I have to work out some sort of enclosure for each of them to
mount on the tower.

While I have ideas about how I might do this I'm interested to hear from
anyone who has already done this and the parts they used.

thanks

Tim

--

--
de TA2NC

Paul Randall G3NJV

'Morning Tim. Have a look at Ian's, GM3SEK, 2m pre-amp which pretty much sets the standard for weatherproofing as well as removing the external connectors which are probably the hardest to protect. 
Cheers Paul G3NJV

-------- Original message --------
Date: 08/07/2021 09:07 (GMT+00:00)
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] VHF Design Preamp mounting ?

I bought some ip67 enclosures from a local seller (outdoor electric plastic boxes can also do fine) and using over 4 years without a problem

Hi all,

mount on the tower.

thanks

Tim

--

--
de TA2NC

ian hope (2E0IJH)

Big Ip64 box , which also contains Masthead relay, Thats how done all our contesting units

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2021 at 9:06 AM
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] VHF Design Preamp mounting ?

Hi all,

mount on the tower.

thanks

Tim

--

--
de TA2NC

Lou Blasco

Where would one see the GM3SEK preamp? I've looked on his webpage but the preamp has eluded me.

--
Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

SAM JEWELL

Check SDR Kits. Jan was selling kits for the DG8

73 decSam, G4DDK

Sent tomorrow from my time machine

On 8 Jul 2021, at 09:53, Lou Blasco <vk3alb@gmail.com> wrote:

Where would one see the GM3SEK preamp? I've looked on his webpage but the preamp has eluded me.

--
Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

Lou Blasco

OK,

Thank you Sam, I found it. There's a link on Ian's page that describes the preamp and the enclosure. An excellent description.

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 7:16 PM SAM JEWELL via groups.io <jewell=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

73 decSam, G4DDK

> On 8 Jul 2021, at 09:53, Lou Blasco <vk3alb@...> wrote:
>
> Where would one see the GM3SEK preamp? I've looked on his webpage but the preamp has eluded me.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Lou
> VK3ALB
>
>
>
>
>

SAM JEWELL

Hi Lou,
I have to declare to a small interest. The 'preamp' is based on my Anglian transverter receiver front end and I initially provided part kits on behalf of Ian. Later the production was transferred to Dave, G4HUP. I then did the testing of Dave's assembled boards. After Dave's untimely passing, Jan took on supply of the DG8 kits.
My own DG8 is still in regular use and I can attest to the efficacy of Ian's mechanical design. It doesn't have lowest noise figure, but the dynamic range and switching make it an excellent solution for someone looking for a low cost 'homebrew' preamp that performs as well as many far more costly masthead preamps. Just sayin' 

73 de Sam

On 8 Jul 2021, at 10:40, Lou Blasco <vk3alb@...> wrote:

OK,

Thank you Sam, I found it. There's a link on Ian's page that describes the preamp and the enclosure. An excellent description.

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 7:16 PM SAM JEWELL via groups.io <jewell=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

73 decSam, G4DDK

>
> Where would one see the GM3SEK preamp? I've looked on his webpage but the preamp has eluded me.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Lou
> VK3ALB
>
>
>
>
>

Stephen Tompsett

Consider fitting a breathable plug to the enclosure e.g. https://cpc.farnell.com/hylec/jdae12pa-sw/venting-plug-ip66-ip69k-blk-m12/dp/EN83188?st=hylec

73s Stephen G8LYB

On 08/07/2021 11:11, SAM JEWELL via groups.io wrote:
Hi Lou,
I have to declare to a small interest. The 'preamp' is based on my Anglian transverter receiver front end and I initially provided part kits on behalf of Ian. Later the production was transferred to Dave, G4HUP. I then did the testing of Dave's assembled boards. After Dave's untimely passing, Jan took on supply of the DG8 kits.
My own DG8 is still in regular use and I can attest to the efficacy of Ian's mechanical design. It doesn't have lowest noise figure, but the dynamic range and switching make it an excellent solution for someone looking for a low cost 'homebrew' preamp that performs as well as many far more costly masthead preamps. Just sayin' 

73 de Sam

OK,

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

73 decSam, G4DDK

>
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Lou
> VK3ALB
>
>
>
>
>

-- 
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940
Mob: 07956 855816

G8ZHA

Sam,

Is your DG8 Preamp just contained in a plastic waterproof box? Does it need any extra shielding in hi RF areas?

Regards, Rich G8ZHA

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of SAM JEWELL via groups.io
Sent: 08 July 2021 11:12

Hi Lou,

73 de Sam

OK,

Regards

Lou

VK3ALB

73 decSam, G4DDK

>
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Lou
> VK3ALB
>
>
>
>
>

SAM JEWELL

Absolutely agree. First rate.

Sam

On 8 Jul 2021, at 16:10, Stephen Tompsett <stephen@...> wrote:

Consider fitting a breathable plug to the enclosure e.g. https://cpc.farnell.com/hylec/jdae12pa-sw/venting-plug-ip66-ip69k-blk-m12/dp/EN83188?st=hylec

73s Stephen G8LYB

Hi Lou,

73 de Sam

OK,

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

73 decSam, G4DDK

>
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Lou
> VK3ALB
>
>
>
>
>

-- 
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)

SAM JEWELL

It has, but in the transverter it isn't the limiting factor. I sell a separate PGA 144MHz preamp with PGA103+, remember?
Ian just used the Anglian front end. The DG8 OIP3 is still higher than most black boxes, so it isn't justified anyway..........
Sam

Sam

On 8 Jul 2021, at 16:10, Stephen Tompsett <stephen@...> wrote:

73s Stephen G8LYB

Hi Lou,

73 de Sam

OK,

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

73 decSam, G4DDK

>
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Lou
> VK3ALB
>
>
>
>
>

-- 
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)

SAM JEWELL

Hi Rich,
Not my design. No other shielding than the plastic box.
Conformal coating in the PCB (avoiding the coils) and it weathers beautifully as there is nothing to rust or corrode. It's worth reading Ian's article if you haven't done so already.
Mine is right adjacent to 400W of HF or 6m. No ill effects noticed.

73 de Sam

On 8 Jul 2021, at 16:46, G8ZHA via groups.io <g8zha-1@...> wrote:

Sam,

Is your DG8 Preamp just contained in a plastic waterproof box? Does it need any extra shielding in hi RF areas?

Regards, Rich G8ZHA

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of SAM JEWELL via groups.io
Sent: 08 July 2021 11:12

Hi Lou,

73 de Sam

OK,

Regards

Lou

VK3ALB

73 decSam, G4DDK

>
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Lou
> VK3ALB
>
>
>
>
>