Topics

Unsure what these are called

Mike GD6ICR

Please tell me what these connections are called need 2 of these flanges and 2 sets of the coupling rings. Unsure whether the transition from n-type to waveguide is a dummy load or a test connection. Please help if you can
Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW

John Fell

Hi Mike,
The round items are circular WG16 flange coupling/locator rings .

The waveguide component looks like a transition to an N socket .

If the closed metallic end of the waveguide is reasonably thin ( 1-2mm) ( and the end closest to the N socket ) , try coupling the N socket to your RX and point the white material end of the assembly towards a 10GHz RF source .
If it is a transition it should show a signal peak when looking at the source .
The white material is probably in that case a moisture ingress blocker - to use as part of a system you would need to add a flange .
It may have been used as an "open guide" feed for a dish with a low f/D , wide beamwidth feed .

73
John
G0API

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 at 20:41, Mike Webb <gd6icr@...> wrote:

Please tell me what these connections are called need 2 of these flanges and 2 sets of the coupling rings. Unsure whether the transition from n-type to waveguide is a dummy load or a test connection. Please help if you can
Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW

Dave G8KHU

Hi Mike
Further to John's reply the flange in your picture is choked (deep groove inside the O ring) ands should be mated to a plain flange.
The guide does look to be WG16 (aka WR90 / R100), if so the inside dimensions of the guide are 0.9" x 0.4" and O/D will be 1" x 1/2".
I can't help you with rings I'm afraid, but I can let you have a couple of WG16 plain round flanges with pleasure. Send me your address off relector and I'll post them to you.
73
Dave
G8KHU