Topics

Unidentified Connector

Dave G8GKQ

Grateful if anyone can identify the 2 connectors on the right of this picture.  Same thread and similar size to an SMA, but a male pin and and extended cylindrical outer barrel.

SMA on the left for a size comparison.

Dave, G8GKQ

Tim Clark

Hi Dave,

    Looks like an SMC to me.

This chart very handy for this sort of thing: https://www.fairviewmicrowave.com/t-interface-guide.aspx

Tim, MW0RUD

On 12/10/2020 4:48 pm, Dave G8GKQ wrote:
Grateful if anyone can identify the 2 connectors on the right of this picture.  Same thread and similar size to an SMA, but a male pin and and extended cylindrical outer barrel.

SMA on the left for a size comparison.

Dave, G8GKQ

Mark GM4ISM

Looks like SMC

Mark

GM4ISM

On 12/10/2020 16:48, Dave G8GKQ wrote:
Grateful if anyone can identify the 2 connectors on the right of this picture.  Same thread and similar size to an SMA, but a male pin and and extended cylindrical outer barrel.

SMA on the left for a size comparison.

Dave, G8GKQ

No, it's not SMC or SMB, polarity is wrong, and the diameter is too high for those.
It's an odd one

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 17:06, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io <gm4ism=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Looks like SMC

Mark

GM4ISM

On 12/10/2020 16:48, Dave G8GKQ wrote:
Grateful if anyone can identify the 2 connectors on the right of this picture.  Same thread and similar size to an SMA, but a male pin and and extended cylindrical outer barrel.

SMA on the left for a size comparison.

Dave, G8GKQ

I don't believe the thread is relevant to the connector, they are bulkhead and the thread is not used in connecting.   I believe they are a simple "push fit" in use for modules etc and look identical to the connectors on the "Nokia" 13cm modules ...  I'll remember what they are in a minute.

I do have 2 vertical mount PCB sockets that I removed from the board if they are of use, they look "right"

image.png

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 16:48, Dave G8GKQ <dave.g8gkq@...> wrote:
Grateful if anyone can identify the 2 connectors on the right of this picture.  Same thread and similar size to an SMA, but a male pin and and extended cylindrical outer barrel.

SMA on the left for a size comparison.

Dave, G8GKQ

Paul G8AQA

My suggestion is a Push-on SMA.  It is a pity we cannot see inside to the insulation.  I believe these are used in production for testing.

Paul G8AQA

On 12/10/2020 17:17, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
I don't believe the thread is relevant to the connector, they are bulkhead and the thread is not used in connecting.   I believe they are a simple "push fit" in use for modules etc and look identical to the connectors on the "Nokia" 13cm modules ...  I'll remember what they are in a minute.

I do have 2 vertical mount PCB sockets that I removed from the board if they are of use, they look "right"

image.png

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 16:48, Dave G8GKQ <dave.g8gkq@...> wrote:
Grateful if anyone can identify the 2 connectors on the right of this picture.  Same thread and similar size to an SMA, but a male pin and and extended cylindrical outer barrel.

SMA on the left for a size comparison.

Dave, G8GKQ

Steve - WB0DBS

Looks like they mIght be QMA, used in some mobile phone site equipment. Clicks on, the  threads are mechanical mounting only.

Steve
WB0DBS

On Oct 12, 2020, at 10:48 AM, Dave G8GKQ <dave.g8gkq@...> wrote:

Grateful if anyone can identify the 2 connectors on the right of this picture.  Same thread and similar size to an SMA, but a male pin and and extended cylindrical outer barrel.

SMA on the left for a size comparison.

Dave, G8GKQ

Mark GM4ISM

The polarity is the same as SMB  / SMC  see attched photo but as Andy noticed they do look bigger that that series.

Photo is of SMA, SMC and SMB

AFAIK SMB and SMC have the same RF contact dimensions and do actually sort of fit together but neither with good mechanical integrity

I have a number of   connectors that fit on the back of  plug in modules. All have the RF attributes of common connectors but don't have any of the mechanical  fittings

7-16 , SMA , BNC  variants  are amongst those that will mate with the  more normal forms but are mechanically reliant on  the 2 halves being brought together and held  there by  external mechanics

Not found one that matches yet, sorry

Mark

On 12/10/2020 17:08, Andy G4JNT wrote:
No, it's not SMC or SMB, polarity is wrong, and the diameter is too high for those.
It's an odd one

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 17:06, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io <gm4ism=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Looks like SMC

Mark

GM4ISM

On 12/10/2020 16:48, Dave G8GKQ wrote:
Grateful if anyone can identify the 2 connectors on the right of this picture.  Same thread and similar size to an SMA, but a male pin and and extended cylindrical outer barrel.

SMA on the left for a size comparison.

Dave, G8GKQ

Denis Stanton G0OLX

They are reverse SMA for WiFi purposes

On 12 Oct 2020, at 17:09, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

No, it's not SMC or SMB, polarity is wrong, and the diameter is too high for those.
It's an odd one

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 17:06, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io <gm4ism=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Looks like SMC

Mark

GM4ISM

On 12/10/2020 16:48, Dave G8GKQ wrote:
Grateful if anyone can identify the 2 connectors on the right of this picture.  Same thread and similar size to an SMA, but a male pin and and extended cylindrical outer barrel.

SMA on the left for a size comparison.

Dave, G8GKQ

Dave G8GKQ

Thanks for all the comments so far.

It’s definitely not SMB, SMC or RP-SMA.  It could be a variant of QMA, but it has a male centre pin, the insulation is too well recessed and the external ridges are outside the formal spec.

It could have been used as a test point on a piece of equipment, so may not even be a standardised connector at all.  Anyway, the leads are useful as they have SMBs at the other end....

Close-up attached with a view of the recessed insulation and the stepped diameter male centre pin.

Dave, G8GKQ

Rob, M0DTS

Looks like a push fit connector for modular system, like OSP...

Rob

On 12/10/2020 21:39, Dave G8GKQ wrote:

Thanks for all the comments so far.

It’s definitely not SMB, SMC or RP-SMA.  It could be a variant of QMA, but it has a male centre pin, the insulation is too well recessed and the external ridges are outside the formal spec.

It could have been used as a test point on a piece of equipment, so may not even be a standardised connector at all.  Anyway, the leads are useful as they have SMBs at the other end....

Close-up attached with a view of the recessed insulation and the stepped diameter male centre pin.

Dave, G8GKQ

Dave G8GKQ

Thanks Rob

That’s a match.  It’s an OSP – spec to 22 GHz. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxial-connectors/7130997/

Dave, G8GKQ

Paul G8AQA

Fascinating to dig around.

The connector was developed in the 1980's and originally designated as the OSP™ connector by M/A-Com (Microwave Associates).
The other connector was the OSM which became the SMA (SubMiniature version A).  The OSP became the BMA a military standard MIL-STD-348B and is otherwise known as the Blind-Mate A.
The OSM was one of the Omni-Specta brand when I first came across it in the late 60s. So presumably the OSP was originally designated Omni Spectra push.

In June 2003, XMA Corporation, located in Manchester, New Hampshire, purchased from MACOM the Omni Spectra line of coaxial attenuators and terminations

Paul G8AQA

On 12/10/2020 22:58, Dave G8GKQ wrote:

Thanks Rob

That’s a match.  It’s an OSP – spec to 22 GHz. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxial-connectors/7130997/

Dave, G8GKQ

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

And while we are on the subject of connectors ... whilst visiting my favoured purveyor of cables, he showed me what is going in on all the cellular sites these days,  DIN 4.3-10 ... a very interesting connector.  Good to low microwave,  similar in size to an "N" connector, but 10mm outer, 4.3mm inner .. basically a scaled down 7-16 DIN ... looked like it would make an excellent 23cm to 6cm connector.

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 00:00, Paul G8AQA via groups.io <paulnick=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Andy

I had a look on Farnell.com and my flabber was gasted when I saw how much DIN 4.3-10 cost! Then I had a look to check how much N connectors cost and was surprised again. I haven't need to buy any for a long time and have plenty bought still in their bags from junk/SK sales over the last 30 years.

Rather scary how prices have risen.

73
Andy

[...]

militaryoperator

I had a look on Farnell.com and my flabber was gasted when I saw how much DIN 4.3-10 cost! Then I had a look to check how much N connectors cost and was surprised again. I haven't need to buy any for a long time and have plenty bought still in their bags from junk/SK sales over the last 30 years.

Rather scary how prices have risen.

73
Andy

I know. Used to be I could go out all night on the pop for a fiver. Now though, a good night outs nearer £500.

Sad times.

Ben G4BXD

Andy G4JNT

A few days at a decent festival. with accommodation in pre-pitched decent-sized tents is over £1000 for two people.
Except in 2020 :-(

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 10:04, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had a look on Farnell.com and my flabber was gasted when I saw how much DIN 4.3-10 cost! Then I had a look to check how much N connectors cost and was surprised again. I haven't need to buy any for a long time and have plenty bought still in their bags from junk/SK sales over the last 30 years.

Rather scary how prices have risen.

73
Andy

I know. Used to be I could go out all night on the pop for a fiver. Now though, a good night outs nearer £500.

Sad times.

Ben G4BXD

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Nothing is cheap anymore ... recently found some aircraft rental receipts from the 90's  £60 an hour, with instructor!   it's *slightly* more than that now, and that was before one of our group munched a concrete block with the prop a couple of weeks ago ...

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 10:21, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
A few days at a decent festival. with accommodation in pre-pitched decent-sized tents is over £1000 for two people.
Except in 2020 :-(

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 10:04, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had a look on Farnell.com and my flabber was gasted when I saw how much DIN 4.3-10 cost! Then I had a look to check how much N connectors cost and was surprised again. I haven't need to buy any for a long time and have plenty bought still in their bags from junk/SK sales over the last 30 years.

Rather scary how prices have risen.

73
Andy

I know. Used to be I could go out all night on the pop for a fiver. Now though, a good night outs nearer £500.

Sad times.

Ben G4BXD

John Quarmby

The 4.3/10 connector is not very apparent on the surplus market yet. I went on an errand to find some N to 4.3/10 adaptors at Friedrichshafen a couple of years ago, and scoured all the flea markets - none were to be had. Beware though - there is a proprietary connector (Telefunken I think) that looks just the same but with very slightly smaller dimensions that was in evidence. I came back with a mated pair of adaptors to find that they are not compatible!

73

John G3XDY