UK Microwave Group Contests in 2022

John Quarmby

I have not had much feedback on the UKuG contest programme, apart from on events on 76GHz and above.

The present arrangement of fixed dates for these mm-wave contests is not conducive to pushing the boundaries of propagation on these bands, as the weather is often uncooperative with rain/wind or very high humidity.

A group of those active on these bands has suggested that a more flexible approach would be welcome. It is therefore proposed that groups set up their own activity days, not more than three between January and June, and not more than three from July to December, with each activity day separated from previous or subsequent events by at least two weeks. Different groups can set their activity periods independently, there is no requirement for UK wide coordination.

Contacts on activity days would require passing 8 character locators, signal reports and serial numbers. Results from each 6 month period will be published in Scatterpoint.

I am about to finalise the rules for next year and would welcome comments on this change before I put them to bed.

73

John G3XDY
UKuG Contest Manager

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

John I don't like the proposal at all.

I like the predictability of specified dates. I grant you that the weather cannot be predicted far in advance of more than a day or so, which means we going back to the days of just sunny day portable operating & the difficulties of co-ordinating group activity at the last minute. Nice weather doesn't always mean nice conditions! If the weather turns bad on me I still operate from my military Land Rover with pneumatic mast & remote elevation, not to mention a diesel fired heater.

"no requirement for UK wide coordination" means a denial of opportunities to work into a group who have designated their period of activity at a different time, which seems utterly counter-productive. I am far enough away from activity not to belong to a group yet how many of these groups should I contact to see if my expectations of contacts matches their particular days out? I can't go out more frequently I do have other hobbies & duties to perform.

I note the reference to an 8-figure LOC, I assume that is to bypass cheating on KST? But that isn't especially burdensome when microwave contests once required not just RST, NR, QRA, but distance & bearing from a major town AND a codeword set by each operator for that particular band :)

I hope I have misread it & got the wrong end of the stick as the proposal seems unhelpful in discouraging contacts outside a particular group.

--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Bob Lockley VK6KW

Greetings,

As an outsider looking in from way out of range down-under, two things have impressed me:

  1. The dedication and sheer determination of many operators who for whatever reason pack up a trailer or van load of gear and go to some of the most inhospitable places I have seen in my visits, to operate portable hours on end to give and gain a few contacts and contest points … and that, after spending days or even weeks of preparation.
  2. The level of organisation, with participating operators committing days ahead to “register” their intended location and bands of operation so that these can be compiled for publication to the whole UKuWave group at large.

 I appreciate there is a considerable administrative burden involved in such coordination but would expect that it could be automated to some extent, and while "no requirement for UK wide coordination" does not prohibit such action, a cooperative arrangement would appear to be to mutual benefit so I hope that some solution  can be found. Long may you prosper.

Mind you , most of my gear is still in seatainers so it will be months before I get near playing with my 5G7, 10G & 122G around and across the Western Australian Avon Valley.

Best 73,

Bob VK6KW.

[...]

Noel G8GTZ

Clive,

This proposed change of rules came as a result of a post by myself on this group and affects ONLY bands above 76GHz.

It has already been discussed with most of the stations that operate on these bands and everyone is in agreement with the proposed changes.  The main benefit is that stations will not be forced to go out when conditions are totally unsuitable for the MM bands, such as dank, drizzly and misty days but it will allow people to take advantage of the crisp dry winter mornings and experiment with optimum conditions on these bands.

It is not meant to exclude anyone!  In fact it is meant to encourage, by having more flexible rules, the approximately 100 stations that bought VK3CV 122GHz equipment to get them off the shelf and on the air!

Contacts over 50km on these bands (76GHz from Hack Pen to Bloringe excluded) are extremely rare and will be subject to a lot of advanced planning  My proposal said that any groups organising activity should post on this group ahead of time - that in itself caused some heated debate - so others can join in the fun.

As to your point about KST, firstly I would like to think that people do not cheat - it's only a hobby so they are only cheating themselves.  Secondly there's not much point messing around with KST when you are trying to work a 30km path!  In fact in my area we use 433.450 FM as talkback and anyone else is more than welcome to join in.

73
Noel - G8GTZ

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

As mentioned before, and as someone who is actively building for 122 GHz ...  my *only* reservation is that in my view, the intention to go out and make a contest attempt/entry should be announced publicly, ideally on here, before they do it, to encourage as many as possible to participate on the day.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 09:10, Noel G8GTZ <noel@...> wrote:
[...]

Noel I am much relieved as I had indeed got the wrong end of the stick as a result of late at night misinterpreting "I have not had much feedback on the UKuG contest programme, apart from on events on 76GHz and above."

Apologies to all.
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Bob Lockley VK6KW

Apologies from me too – pull my head in and go back to what I am supposed to be doing.

73,

Bob.

Noel I am much relieved as I had indeed got the wrong end of the stick as a result of late at night misinterpreting "I have not had much feedback on the UKuG contest programme, apart from on events on 76GHz and above."

Apologies to all.
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Pete - GM4BYF

Happy with the 76+ GHz arrangements. It makes sense to me.

73
Pete GM4BYF

On 16/01/22 21:26, John Quarmby via groups.io wrote:
[...]

vry 73
Pete GM4BYF