Topics

Tropagation

Nicholas Shaxted

Hi John,

<snip>” Whatever happened to the EU wide October Tropo events that were regular features of the 1970/80s - we used to joke that it was the lack of Sunspots - that may need a re-think ....?<snip>

I’m too young to directly remember those events 😊

Experience gained from my time in GM-land I have noticed a drop in widespread long term tropo events and an increase in extreme weather events. Across the European continent there is an increase in extreme temperature related events throughout the year

The last n-years has seen an absence of the usual stable Azores High in the summer months which is currently being attributed to “Climate Change”.

One also has to remember the huge change in technology along with reduction in amateur radio operator numbers over this time will also have a contribution to contact densities.

A Scandinavian High at the end of January for a couple of weeks would be quite good to start the year off. Sadly I suspect that will not be the case given the cold Arctic plunges affecting North America.

The thermodynamic data has been showing little variation (except for earlier this week)

The exception is of course London where the data in, Skew-T diagram form, tends to show a high frequency of hot air trapped at very low levels.

Frohe Weihnachten

Nick – g4ogi

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io On Behalf Of John Fell via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, December 6, 2019 9:58 AM
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] GB3USK -1296.870MHZ

FB Graham - GB3USK is running at moment .

I monitor frequently and this was the first time recently that it was not there .10.10 cloud cover today but your wind generator should be generating - blowing well overnight locally .

Nick , interesting reports - tropogation has been particularly lacking here for several weeks now on 10GHZ .

I was working 10GHZ EME at G4RFR yesterday pm till 21.30 and even the EME path was poor !

Seasons Greetings .

John

G0API

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 14:25, Graham G3TCT <g3tct@...> wrote:

Hi John

I'm afraid the batteries are at absolute minimum and the beacon is going on and off randomly at present. If the voltage code is at 200 or less, it's likely to fail very shortly. So no need to worry about weird propagation, i guess.
Thanks for the reports.
Graham

John Fell

Hot air in London ..... Westminster area source perhaps ?

My late Brother in Law was a PHD fresh water fish biologist who did extensive  work in Africa - I mentioned Sunspots to him and his reply was interesting .

There is a strong link between low Sunspot count and fish and animal activity in the records .River flow rates are modified , which implies that WX patterns are modified , which I guess means more or less rainfall and related tropo layer modifications .
The increase in temperature  probably also inputs to this .

John

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 at 11:53, Nicholas Shaxted <nick@...> wrote:

Hi John,

<snip>” Whatever happened to the EU wide October Tropo events that were regular features of the 1970/80s - we used to joke that it was the lack of Sunspots - that may need a re-think ....?<snip>

Experience gained from my time in GM-land I have noticed a drop in widespread long term tropo events and an increase in extreme weather events. Across the European continent there is an increase in extreme temperature related events throughout the year

The last n-years has seen an absence of the usual stable Azores High in the summer months which is currently being attributed to “Climate Change”.

One also has to remember the huge change in technology along with reduction in amateur radio operator numbers over this time will also have a contribution to contact densities.

A Scandinavian High at the end of January for a couple of weeks would be quite good to start the year off. Sadly I suspect that will not be the case given the cold Arctic plunges affecting North America.

The thermodynamic data has been showing little variation (except for earlier this week)

The exception is of course London where the data in, Skew-T diagram form, tends to show a high frequency of hot air trapped at very low levels.

Frohe Weihnachten

Nick – g4ogi

I monitor frequently and this was the first time recently that it was not there .10.10 cloud cover today but your wind generator should be generating - blowing well overnight locally .

Nick , interesting reports - tropogation has been particularly lacking here for several weeks now on 10GHZ .

I was working 10GHZ EME at G4RFR yesterday pm till 21.30 and even the EME path was poor !

Seasons Greetings .

John

G0API

Hi John

I'm afraid the batteries are at absolute minimum and the beacon is going on and off randomly at present. If the voltage code is at 200 or less, it's likely to fail very shortly. So no need to worry about weird propagation, i guess.
Thanks for the reports.
Graham

Nicholas Shaxted

It is a very complex system to understand that is for sure.

Homo Sapiens need to control then environment, whether water flow, agriculture or farming is likely to have a strong influence on that type of ecosystem too.

Ultimately I guess it all relates to global temperature rise and its causes.

Now that I have a decent reference signal in PI7ALK on 3cm I have the ability to monitor weather and sea surface effects over a decent 300km path.

The team at PI7ALK are almost ready to go with a 24Ghz beacon from the same location (albeit about 15dB lower erp). It might be interesting to see how signals vary with sea surface temperatures and note also the effects of weather scatter on the signals.

The Beaconspot database should be able to provide some raw data correlate with local and semi-local environmental conditions.

On the non-microwave bands the data is skewed a little by use of modern technology, but still should provide a decent resource to allow analysis of PMSE / Auroral effects

I’ll need to have a look and a think about how to use the data.

In the meantime the Parker Probe should provide some interest to sunspotters.

http://parkersolarprobe.jhuapl.edu/

regards

Nick

Sent: Friday, December 6, 2019 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Tropagation

My late Brother in Law was a PHD fresh water fish biologist who did extensive  work in Africa - I mentioned Sunspots to him and his reply was interesting .

There is a strong link between low Sunspot count and fish and animal activity in the records .River flow rates are modified , which implies that WX patterns are modified , which I guess means more or less rainfall and related tropo layer modifications .

John

Hi John,

Frohe Weihnachten

Nick – g4ogi

Seasons Greetings .

John

G0API

Hi John

Thanks for the reports.
Graham

John Fell

Good to know 10GHZ  PI7ALK is now fixed frequency Nick.
I fist logged it from home on 11/12/2013 - its showing at 579Km - mostly overland , which as you know when added to a seapath at distance can be a rare thing ....
I heard it whilst on Hols in Yorkshire from Denby Beacon at IO94NI using a locked Octagon LNB and 20dB horn - midges were orrid - superb tropo that evening with 700km to a Northern DB beacon and OZ and PA machines logged .Heard ALK from home twice in 2017 and last heard it on 1/11/2017 .
Will be interested to read your observations when you get the time to delve into the data .
Best 73
John
G0API

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 at 13:33, Nicholas Shaxted <nick@...> wrote:

It is a very complex system to understand that is for sure.

Homo Sapiens need to control then environment, whether water flow, agriculture or farming is likely to have a strong influence on that type of ecosystem too.

Ultimately I guess it all relates to global temperature rise and its causes.

Now that I have a decent reference signal in PI7ALK on 3cm I have the ability to monitor weather and sea surface effects over a decent 300km path.

The team at PI7ALK are almost ready to go with a 24Ghz beacon from the same location (albeit about 15dB lower erp). It might be interesting to see how signals vary with sea surface temperatures and note also the effects of weather scatter on the signals.

The Beaconspot database should be able to provide some raw data correlate with local and semi-local environmental conditions.

On the non-microwave bands the data is skewed a little by use of modern technology, but still should provide a decent resource to allow analysis of PMSE / Auroral effects

I’ll need to have a look and a think about how to use the data.

In the meantime the Parker Probe should provide some interest to sunspotters.

http://parkersolarprobe.jhuapl.edu/

regards

Nick

Sent: Friday, December 6, 2019 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Tropagation

John

Hi John,

Frohe Weihnachten

Nick – g4ogi

Seasons Greetings .

John

G0API

Hi John

Thanks for the reports.
Graham

Neil Smith G4DBN

I haven't heard ALK since September, very unusual.  Not a sniff even from aircraft scatter. It isn't much further than KBQ, which I hear a lot of the time, but that is an all-land path. Path to ALK is mostly water, apart from 40km or so of North Lincs, but there is a 200ft cliff face at about 18km and a new factory has been built at about 8km, so perhaps those explain it. Still far too windy to put the mast up here today.

Neil G4DBN

On 08/12/2019 17:16, John Fell wrote:
Good to know 10GHZ  PI7ALK is now fixed frequency Nick.
I fist logged it from home on 11/12/2013 - its showing at 579Km - mostly overland , which as you know when added to a seapath at distance can be a rare thing ....
I heard it whilst on Hols in Yorkshire from Denby Beacon at IO94NI using a locked Octagon LNB and 20dB horn - midges were orrid - superb tropo that evening with 700km to a Northern DB beacon and OZ and PA machines logged .Heard ALK from home twice in 2017 and last heard it on 1/11/2017 .
Will be interested to read your observations when you get the time to delve into the data .