Topics

Tropagation

Nicholas Shaxted

Hi John,

<snip>” Whatever happened to the EU wide October Tropo events that were regular features of the 1970/80s - we used to joke that it was the lack of Sunspots - that may need a re-think ....?<snip>

I’m too young to directly remember those events 😊

Experience gained from my time in GM-land I have noticed a drop in widespread long term tropo events and an increase in extreme weather events. Across the European continent there is an increase in extreme temperature related events throughout the year

The last n-years has seen an absence of the usual stable Azores High in the summer months which is currently being attributed to “Climate Change”.

One also has to remember the huge change in technology along with reduction in amateur radio operator numbers over this time will also have a contribution to contact densities.

A Scandinavian High at the end of January for a couple of weeks would be quite good to start the year off. Sadly I suspect that will not be the case given the cold Arctic plunges affecting North America.

The thermodynamic data has been showing little variation (except for earlier this week)

The exception is of course London where the data in, Skew-T diagram form, tends to show a high frequency of hot air trapped at very low levels.

Frohe Weihnachten

Nick – g4ogi