Topics

locked the joys

geoffrey pike

Andy G4JNT

But  we've got blue passports
:-(

Steve G4HTZ

I’ve got a parcel coming from KUHNE ...they dispatched on 15th of January ....it’s sat in Frankfurt with UPS ever since ...UPS web page now says possible delivery in February.

strangely another parcel from Italy via UPS ordered the same day arrived within 5 days .

--
Steve G4HTZ 
JO01JN60
Great Wakering, Essex 
24ghz 1.8w 80cm dish 

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV 

John Fell

And Happy Fish .... 

John
G0API

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 10:19, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Andy

Who would have thought that taking back control and leaving a single market would have a cost.

Should make the people who voted leave pay the extras for us. That would be fair.

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of geoffrey pike via groups.io <gi0gdp@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:13 AM
To: UK Microwaves groups.io <ukmicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] the joys

Dominique Dehays

Hui ,

not sure it is linked with Brexit , we sometimes have that too here in F

> Message du 26/01/21 11:49
> De : "Andy" <mm0fmf@...>
> A : "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [UKMicrowaves] the joys
>
>
Who would have thought that taking back control and leaving a single market would have a cost.

>
Should make the people who voted leave pay the extras for us. That would be fair.

>

>

>

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of geoffrey pike via groups.io <gi0gdp@...>
> Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:13 AM
> To: UK Microwaves groups.io <ukmicrowaves@groups.io>
> Subject: [UKMicrowaves] the joys

>
more of a Monday morning read i suppose!
enjoy
Geoff
GI0GDP

>

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

So many idiots who are unable to understand the difference between "import duties" and "VAT" ... we've always had to pay VAT, we still have to pay VAT.   Before we had to pay German (or whatver) VAT at source, now we pay UK VAT (at source) on items sub £135    and UK VAT on delivery on items > £135. All these whiners complaining about "I had to pay £10 extra on a £50 toy car" are forgetting that they would have always had to pay £10 VAT one way or another.

If you don't fancy paying the (usually around a tenner) brokerage charge on items > £135 then buy from a UK supplier.   Personally, as a UK manufacturer, I think it is great. It has made zero difference to our exports, our paperwork is identical to what it always was. We now sell to Europe the same way we sell to the rest of the world, which is "with great ease" and I no longer have to deal with the complexities of recording and reporting the EU VAT numbers of all the people we sold to in the EU.  It has overall reduced my paperwork.

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 10:49, Andy <mm0fmf@...> wrote:

--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Colin Ranson

Dam well said Robin,   I personally have been trying my best for some time to buy British, and if I can’t I am increasingly going without - except in exceptional circumstances. Because of Covid I am buying much more on-line, and not just through e-bay. Yesterday I bought a packaged 10m steel cored plastic washing line......    I blew up the photo and noted it remarked ‘Made in the UK’      -      but was it really ?  it may have been cut to length, skeined and packaged in the UK – but where was the big roll made ?    So, to coin a phrase – I just had to roll with it (excuse the pun and apologies to Stevie Winwood)

Stay safe all

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 26 January 2021 11:03
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] the joys

So many idiots who are unable to understand the difference between "import duties" and "VAT" ... we've always had to pay VAT, we still have to pay VAT.   Before we had to pay German (or whatver) VAT at source, now we pay UK VAT (at source) on items sub £135    and UK VAT on delivery on items > £135. All these whiners complaining about "I had to pay £10 extra on a £50 toy car" are forgetting that they would have always had to pay £10 VAT one way or another.

If you don't fancy paying the (usually around a tenner) brokerage charge on items > £135 then buy from a UK supplier.   Personally, as a UK manufacturer, I think it is great. It has made zero difference to our exports, our paperwork is identical to what it always was. We now sell to Europe the same way we sell to the rest of the world, which is "with great ease" and I no longer have to deal with the complexities of recording and reporting the EU VAT numbers of all the people we sold to in the EU.  It has overall reduced my paperwork.

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of geoffrey pike via groups.io <gi0gdp=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io>

Brexit parcel price shock: 'I had to pay £30 for a gift'

It's not just shoppers facing surprise costs when EU parcels arrive, but what is behind the charges?

enjoy

Geoff

GI0GDP

--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Alan Melia

My sister's recent renewal is actually black not Royal Blue ......is that saying something ??  :-))
Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 10:19 AM

Colin Ranson

My old (1970 expired) UK passport is black ?

De G8LBS. 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 26 January 2021 12:18

My sister's recent renewal is actually black not Royal Blue ......is that saying something ??  :-))

Alan

G3NYK

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 10:19 AM

Andy

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 10:13, geoffrey pike via groups.io <gi0gdp=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

It's not just shoppers facing surprise costs when EU parcels arrive, but what is behind the charges?

enjoy

Geoff

GI0GDP

Mike Willis

I think the problem here is not commercial transactions but rather VAT is being charged on amateur-amateur transactions in a way it never was before - so for second had radio gear bought from say Germany, which has already had German VAT paid when it was new. If you bid on an item under £135 from another amateur in the EU, it will now have 20% added or worse 20% VAT and a hefty collection fee. Same would apply for personal imports. That's new. Buying from retailers is different, they won't charge local VAT so for countries that have higher VAT than the UK, we might be a little better off.  Logically, for a level playing field, UK amateurs buying second hand radio kit from another UK amateur should also pay VAT, but that's not the case it seems. Maybe we should request Ebay add VAT to all transactions, just to be fair.

--
Mike G0MJW

Wilko

Well.. you could apply for Scottish citizenship I suppose? If Nicola / SNP get their way you will once again get those Kuhne shipments on your doorstep without undue cost & delays 😋

Wilko

Andy G4JNT

I don't want to be a snowflake, but ...
A Member of this Group has objected - formally via G.Io - to the email shown below due to the original word that I have substituted with "dozos" below.   He asked that the email be removed, or the word changed.
So if you don't want to inflame one or two individuals on this group, perhaps don't refer to people in derogatory terms.   And to some, even words in common usage can seem derogatory.

He also asked what it had to do with Am Radio.   I'd have thought a discussion about import duty certainly does fall into that category.

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 11:03, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
So many dozos who are unable to understand the difference between "import duties" and "VAT" ... we've always had to pay VAT, we still have to pay VAT.   Before we had to pay German (or whatver) VAT at source, now we pay UK VAT (at source) on items sub £135    and UK VAT on delivery on items > £135. All these whiners complaining about "I had to pay £10 extra on a £50 toy car" are forgetting that they would have always had to pay £10 VAT one way or another.

--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Simon Brown

Scotland is too cold & I don't trust the SNP an inch.

We can still move to France, thinking about it...

Simon Brown, G4ELI
https://www.sdr-radio.com

-----Original Message-----
From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Wilko
Sent: 26 January 2021 13:06

Well.. you could apply for Scottish citizenship I suppose? If Nicola / SNP get their way you will once again get those Kuhne shipments on your doorstep without undue cost & delays 😋

Wilko

Clive, G3GJA

PC gone mad. Ridiculous!

Clive G3GJA

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy G4JNT
Sent: 26 January 2021 13:06
To: UK Microwaves groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>

A Member of this Group has objected - formally via G.Io - to the email shown below due to the original word that I have substituted with "dozos" below.   He asked that the email be removed, or the word changed.

So if you don't want to inflame one or two individuals on this group, perhaps don't refer to people in derogatory terms.   And to some, even words in common usage can seem derogatory.

He also asked what it had to do with Am Radio.   I'd have thought a discussion about import duty certainly does fall into that category.

So many dozos who are unable to understand the difference between "import duties" and "VAT" ... we've always had to pay VAT, we still have to pay VAT.   Before we had to pay German (or whatver) VAT at source, now we pay UK VAT (at source) on items sub £135    and UK VAT on delivery on items > £135. All these whiners complaining about "I had to pay £10 extra on a £50 toy car" are forgetting that they would have always had to pay £10 VAT one way or another.

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of geoffrey pike via groups.io <gi0gdp=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io>

enjoy

Geoff

GI0GDP

--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

HESH Typographic Logo

HESH Computer Services

hesh.co.uk
01482 324936

8 Louis Pearlman Centre, Goulton Street, Hull, HU3 4DL

Registered in England No. 3003479. The information contained in this email may be legally privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, use of this information (including disclosure, copying or distribution) or any action taken, or omitted to be taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful; therefore please inform the sender and delete the message immediately. The views expressed in this email are those of the originator and not necessarily those held by HESH Computer Services Ltd, who do not accept liability for any action taken in reliance on the contents of this message or for the consequences of any computer viruses which may have been transmitted by this email.

Andy

Wasn't me complaining.

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 5:05 AM

--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Richard White

Just got a 14 element 23cm Yagi from Germany without issues - but I have cleaned the dust off my Irish passport for when lockdown ends.
Richard GI4DOH

John Fell

They are dozos: a brotherhood of initiated traditional hunters renowned for their mystical powers, and to be found in Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Guinea and ...

Umm.Sounds best avoided .

JOhn
G0API

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 13:06, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Conrad, PA5Y

I think that this individual may be incompatible with the majority of this group. Best if the member concerned moves on before I offend them with a torrent of expletives!

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of Andy G4JNT via groups.io <andy.g4jnt@...>
Sent: 26 January 2021 14:05

--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

As a discussion about VAT and import duty,  that's fine.  If people want to start introducing political comment, it's probably better kept off list. A "No Politics" rule would probably do a lot for harmony.

Anyone who wishes to discuss the matter at length is perfectly welcome to email me off list, where I will defend my position robustly.  I would say "or message me on Facebook" I am however still in Facebook jail for a spelling mistake, so it may be a few days before I can post ;)

For the sake of clarity, the reference that the complainer objected to was specifically about the people featured in the BBC article and not the author of the post nor any of our fellow amateurs. Amateur Radio really is much better as a politics free zone I think ...

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 13:56, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
They are dozos: a brotherhood of initiated traditional hunters renowned for their mystical powers, and to be found in Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Guinea and ...

Umm.Sounds best avoided .

JOhn
G0API

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 13:06, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG