Tentative group purchase of PCBs for F6BVA QO-100 3/13cm system

Neil Smith G4DBN

Our good friends in France are looking into the possibility of a group purchase of PCBs for Michel's QO-100 system, which is a receive converter for 3cm and transmit converter to 13cm from 2m/70cm/23cm, avoiding the need for an SDR and LNB on receive if you prefer to use a normal VHF radio on QO100.

I'm going to order a couple of boards for myself. Is anyone else interested?  I would be happy to facilitate the group purchase of boards, cases and components as for the 3cm-UHF transverters.

Have a read of the project description.  Note that it needs a local osc (an SV1AFN 4351/controller is fine for this) and is designed to power a PA using an MW7ic2725, for which a PCB will be produced as part of the group purchase.  I already have some MW7ic2725s for myself.  They are available on ebay and other dodgy sites. Richardson RFPD have some in stock at $53 but then there is VAT and carriage and other malarkey.

Here is the description:

https://f6bva.pagesperso-orange.fr/Technique/Satellite/Station%20V3%20QO100%20complete.pdf

Google Translate is your friend if you don't read French. Just remember that FI = IF, CI = PCB, OL = LO. If you need anything else decoding, please send me an email to neil@g4dbn.uk

Please reply to me privately to neil@g4dbn.uk with email title QO100 so I can gauge the likely demand.  Price is likely to be around £40 for the PCBs. I haven't costed component sets, but there isn't anything unusual in there. If there is any interest, I'll work out a more accurate cost and ask for firm commitments to place an order for the PCBs via Pierre-François.

Everything depends on there being sufficient demand for a PCB order, this is *very* tentative at present.

Neil G4DBN

Conrad, PA5Y

Neil, I have a set of boards but would be interested in a set of components and cases. Maybe I will then get around to building the thing!

Conrad

Please reply to me privately to neil@... with email title QO100 so
I can gauge the likely demand.  Price is likely to be around £40 for the
PCBs. I haven't costed component sets, but there isn't anything unusual
in there. If there is any interest, I'll work out a more accurate cost
and ask for firm commitments to place an order for the PCBs via
Pierre-François.

Everything depends on there being sufficient demand for a PCB order,
this is *very* tentative at present.

Neil G4DBN

Mike Willis

It's a nice project but it seems an awful lot of effort compared to changing the crystal in an LNB and using a retuned 13cm transverter/ or that aging SSB Electronics 13cm upconverter lurking at the back of the cupboard.
--
Mike G0MJW

Neil Smith G4DBN

Absolutely (except I don't have any old 13cm transverters kicking around, just a shiny new one that's connected up to my terrestrial kit and isn't exactly portable). Somehow though, it's all the mucking about that makes it fun.  Mucking about with electronics and radio for the sheer unnecessary heck of it.

I'll probably make at LEAST three contacts with the thing once I've built it all, then get bored with it and do something else. I did make *four* contacts with my original QO100 setup, but once you've said hello to a few folks, that's about it. It's just a repeater-in-the-sky, isn't it? Apart from doing ultra-weak-signal digimode tests and looking at doppler and wobble like Andy did and then there's telly and fast data and....

Anyway, if anyone feels daft enough to join a group buy for the up/downconverter and PA, just drop me an email.

Neil G4DBN

On 12/03/2021 14:01, Mike Willis wrote:
It's a nice project but it seems an awful lot of effort compared to changing the crystal in an LNB and using a retuned 13cm transverter/ or that aging SSB Electronics 13cm upconverter lurking at the back of the cupboard.

Neil Smith G4DBN

OK, will add you in if there is enough demand for the PCB purchase to happen. Several others are already interested.

Neil

On 12/03/2021 14:00, Conrad, PA5Y wrote:
Neil, I have a set of boards but would be interested in a set of components and cases. Maybe I will then get around to building the thing!

Conrad

John Fell

QO100 makes a good back haul for terrestrial uWave activity from shack to shack .....up a bit left a bit and persons may ask wot's occurring ?

73
John
G0API