SV1AFN ADF4315 controller board programming

Barry Lewis

Hi folks,
These synthesiser controller boards use an ATtiny85 microcontroller which requires an "In Service Programmer". The relevant pins are brought out to a connector for this. I need to re-program mine and it looks a bit tricky if this is something that you're not set up to do regularly.  looking into it I see there are methods involving an Arduino acting as an ISP and I see USB connection solutions but these also require an Arduino to load a "Bootloader" program into the device first. It all looks like a lot of faff for a once off re-program.
Does anyone have any experience of reprogramming these devices or maybe have a means already set up to do so?
73
Barry G4SJH

Mike

Hi Barry,

The info for the ATtiny85 states that it can be programmed via SPI from a normal EEPROM programmer.  But how is the question.  It also says that programmers include The Microchip ICD4 and PICkit4 debuggers using MPLAB-X, so that may be a route forward.  I’ve used MPLAB-X (I can’t say it’s my favourite) but I only have an ICD3 and PICkit 2 and 3.  I’ll do some more investigation.

Another alternative might be to replace it with something easier to programme and where the programming tools are not so expensive?  Maybe that’s a bit of a sledgehammer…

73, Mike,

Mike Stevens,

G8CUL/M0CUL/F4VRB.

These synthesiser controller boards use an ATtiny85 microcontroller which requires an "In Service Programmer". The relevant pins are brought out to a connector for this. I need to re-program mine and it looks a bit tricky if this is something that you're not set up to do regularly.  looking into it I see there are methods involving an Arduino acting as an ISP and I see USB connection solutions but these also require an Arduino to load a "Bootloader" program into the device first. It all looks like a lot of faff for a once off re-program.
Does anyone have any experience of reprogramming these devices or maybe have a means already set up to do so?
73
Barry G4SJH

Gareth G4XAT

I drive mine with an Arduino nano and the 'go to sleep after commands issued' code by Robin. Bulk buy some from AliExpress. Level converters can be resistors.
Gareth

Gareth G4XAT

Sorry I assumed it was his adf4351 pll boards, not the controller. I chose the Arduino route as 'simples'....
Gareth

Mike

Hi Barry,

Actually the new(ish) Microchip ‘Snap’ also lists the ATtiny85 as a compatible device for debug and programming via Mplab-X, using Microchip’s XC8 C compiler.  The Snap hardware is about £15-£20, but they often have special offers that reduce that a bit.  All the other software tools, Mplab-X itself and XC8 compiler are free to download.  Be prepared for a steep learning curve!

I’ve used Mplab-X myself and have the  ‘Snap’ hardware and they work well with PICs including 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit versions.

73, Mike,

Mike Stevens,

G8CUL/M0CUL/F4VRB.