Topics

Stainless steel N connector.

Michael Scott

Hi All

I am looking for a four hole mounting female N connector in stainless steel ( if such a thing exists ) to replace the one on a helix feed to my QO-100 uplink antenna. After a year, the silver plated brass connector is heavily corroded where it is mounted on the aluminium reflector plate. It was originally built for Oscar 40 and wasn't intended for permanent outdoor mounting.

The alternative is to replace the aluminium plate with stainless steel and reuse the brass connector.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Mark GM4ISM

Mike

Stainless steel onto Aluminium is probably worse!

Any dissimilar metals will exhibit electrolytic corrosion over time.

One solution is to coat the mating surfaces in a corrosion inhibiting  compound. Bicon X1 is excellent, as is Unial, however the latter fell out of favour with my company as it is slightly more hazardous. You should not eat either!  Read the COSHH sheets!

These pastes really work very well (like thermal paste you don't want too much) and significantly extend the working life of components

Mark GM4ISM

On 22/10/2020 12:48, Michael Scott via groups.io wrote:
Hi All

I am looking for a four hole mounting female N connector in stainless steel ( if such a thing exists ) to replace the one on a helix feed to my QO-100 uplink antenna. After a year, the silver plated brass connector is heavily corroded where it is mounted on the aluminium reflector plate. It was originally built for Oscar 40 and wasn't intended for permanent outdoor mounting.

The alternative is to replace the aluminium plate with stainless steel and reuse the brass connector.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

https://www.avg.com

Michael Scott

Thanks Mark, that's useful to know. I have just ordered a tube of Bicon X1.

73, Mike.

On 22/10/2020 12:59, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Colin Ranson

Mike, there are Nickel plated ones around I believe,  I ‘ve had a look but mine are all silver plated.

Regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am looking for a four hole mounting female N connector in stainless
steel ( if such a thing exists ) to replace the one on a helix feed to
my QO-100 uplink antenna. After a year, the silver plated brass
connector is heavily corroded where it is mounted on the aluminium
reflector plate. It was originally built for Oscar 40 and wasn't
intended for permanent outdoor mounting.

The alternative is to replace the aluminium plate with stainless steel
and reuse the brass connector.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Richard GD8EXI

Stainless Steel is a particularly bad conductor of electricity, 40 times worse than copper, 10 times worse than Nickel and only 1.7 times better than nichrom, as used in resistance wire! So I doubt you will find Stainless steel N type plugs.

I use nickel plated N Types on boats with good results but not mounted on aluminium.

Some jointing compounds e.g. Duralac create an open circuit across the joint however Bicon should be fine.

73s
Richard
GD8EXI

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 18:24, Richard GD8EXI <perwick@...> wrote:
Stainless Steel is a particularly bad conductor of electricity, 40 times worse than copper, 10 times worse than Nickel and only 1.7 times better than nichrom, as used in resistance wire! So I doubt you will find Stainless steel N type plugs.

I use nickel plated N Types on boats with good results but not mounted on aluminium.

Some jointing compounds e.g. Duralac create an open circuit across the joint however Bicon should be fine.

73s
Richard
GD8EXI

Stainless steel RF connectors are quite common.

Dave

Paul G8AQA

Bicon X1 finds it's main use for joining copper and aluminium also aluminium and aluminium in power distribution.  Although tested with a meter it may seem non conductive it has zinc particles.  I have taken to using it for assembling antennas.

https://www.jointingtech.co.uk/Download/BX1-225.pdf

Paul G8AQA

On 22/10/2020 18:24, Richard GD8EXI wrote:
Stainless Steel is a particularly bad conductor of electricity, 40 times worse than copper, 10 times worse than Nickel and only 1.7 times better than nichrom, as used in resistance wire! So I doubt you will find Stainless steel N type plugs.

I use nickel plated N Types on boats with good results but not mounted on aluminium.

Some jointing compounds e.g. Duralac create an open circuit across the joint however Bicon should be fine.

73s
Richard
GD8EXI

On 22/10/2020, 16:02, "Michael Scott via groups.io" <g3lyp@...> wrote:

> Thanks Mark, that's useful to know. I have just ordered a tube of Bicon X1.
>
> 73, Mike.
>
> On 22/10/2020 12:59, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io wrote:
>> Mike
>>
>> Stainless steel onto Aluminium is probably worse!
>>
>> Any dissimilar metals will exhibit electrolytic corrosion over time.
>>
>> One solution is to coat the mating surfaces in a corrosion inhibiting
>> compound. Bicon X1 is excellent, as is Unial, however the latter fell
>> out of favour with my company as it is slightly more hazardous. You
>> should not eat either!  Read the COSHH sheets!
>>
>> These pastes really work very well (like thermal paste you don't want
>> too much) and significantly extend the working life of components
>>
>> Mark GM4ISM
>>
>> On 22/10/2020 12:48, Michael Scott via groups.io wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I am looking for a four hole mounting female N connector in stainless
>>> steel ( if such a thing exists ) to replace the one on a helix feed
>>> to my QO-100 uplink antenna. After a year, the silver plated brass
>>> connector is heavily corroded where it is mounted on the aluminium
>>> reflector plate. It was originally built for Oscar 40 and wasn't
>>> intended for permanent outdoor mounting.
>>>
>>> The alternative is to replace the aluminium plate with stainless
>>> steel and reuse the brass connector.
>>>
>>> If anyone can help it would be appreciated!
>>>
>>> 73, Mike, G3LYP.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Mike, TE/AMP make passivated stainless steel bodied N sockets rated to 11 GHz

https://www.te.com/global-en/product-1058644-1.datasheet.pdf

https://www.farnell.com/cad/1663522.pdf

They also do nickel-plated stainless.

Furiously expensive of course. £34 + vat from RS, much more spendy from Farnell

H&S also do some which are at even MORE coin:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/829/HUBER_2bSUHNER_24_N_50_3_5119__NE_DataSheet-1530079.pdf

Neil G4DBN

I am looking for a four hole mounting female N connector in stainless
steel ( if such a thing exists ) to replace the one on a helix feed to
my QO-100 uplink antenna. After a year, the silver plated brass
connector is heavily corroded where it is mounted on the aluminium
reflector plate. It was originally built for Oscar 40 and wasn't
intended for permanent outdoor mounting.

The alternative is to replace the aluminium plate with stainless steel
and reuse the brass connector.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

John Lemay

Returning to Mikes original question – why did the silver plated brass connector corrode where it is in contact with aluminium ?

I’m not well versed in these matters but I thought it would be the aluminium corroding.

Certainly, stainless steel and aluminium is not advised – but there are so many different alloys of each that you need to know more about the composition of each material.

John G4ZTR

I am looking for a four hole mounting female N connector in stainless
steel ( if such a thing exists ) to replace the one on a helix feed to
my QO-100 uplink antenna. After a year, the silver plated brass
connector is heavily corroded where it is mounted on the aluminium
reflector plate. It was originally built for Oscar 40 and wasn't
intended for permanent outdoor mounting.

The alternative is to replace the aluminium plate with stainless steel
and reuse the brass connector.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Gordon REASON

I have some , N female , I think that they are Nickel Plated , but I can't find them at the moment .......I will keep looking ................

On 22 October 2020 at 20:18 John Lemay <john@...> wrote:

[...]

Looking at the galvanic potential of different metals, silver vs aluminium actually has a higher  differential than stainless steel and aluminium.

I don't know of many examples of this combination in professional antenna systems, perhaps there is a good reason for that.

 The most common issue I see is with stainless and aluminium, usually it is bolts or screws as fasteners in exterior cast or sheet aluminium  antenna components.

The anodic metal (usually the aluminium)  is the part that suffers the  worst damage and oxidation.  The silvered N connector may not have suffered much actual corrosion itself but the build-up of  aluminium oxide from the corrosion of the aluminium beneath can still do significant damage  as the oxide layer  grows and stresses the assembly mechanically.

These reactions are  thermodynamically inevitable  but the reaction can slow down to a crawl with the right conditions.

Mark ISM

On 22/10/2020 20:18, John Lemay wrote:

[...]

Hi Neil

Many thanks for the information, and from the many others who responded on this topic!

I have decided to follow Mark's original suggestion and use Bicon as the simplest solution. I am hoping to receive a tube in the next few days. Luckily, the dish feed is near ground level so It is easy to remove for servicing without the need for ladders which are a no no for me these days!

Thanks again for all the comments received.

73, Mike, G3LYP.

On 22/10/2020 20:03, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:

[...]

John E. Beech

Gold plated ones any good? ( Probably make the aluminium corrode even faster.)

de John G8SEQ

> Stainless Steel is a particularly bad conductor of electricity, 40
> times worse than copper, 10 times worse than Nickel and only 1.7
> times better than nichrom, as used in resistance wire! So I doubt
> you will find Stainless steel N type plugs.
>
> I use nickel plated N Types on boats with good results but not
> mounted on aluminium.
>
> Some jointing compounds e.g. Duralac create an open circuit across
> the joint however Bicon should be fine.
>
> 73s
> Richard
> GD8EXI

Stainless steel RF connectors are quite common.

Dave

Colin Ranson

Hi John,

Funny you should mention gold plated N. I have a couple of gold plated N plugs with RG316 size entry, I expect they are literally like the proverbial ?  been sitting in my drawer for years, reluctant to use them !

Regards and keep safe one and all,

Colin G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gold plated ones any good? ( Probably make the aluminium corrode even faster.)

de John G8SEQ

Paul G8AQA

Gold and aluminium - purple plague.  Discovered this when soldering gold O rings using aluminium as a jig.  The gold disappeared into the aluminium leaving a purple residue.  It is also a problem with transistors and ICs.

Paul G8AQA

On 23/10/2020 10:02, John E. Beech wrote:
Gold plated ones any good? ( Probably make the aluminium corrode even faster.)

de John G8SEQ

 > Stainless Steel is a particularly bad conductor of electricity, 40
 > times worse than copper, 10 times worse than Nickel and only 1.7
 > times better than nichrom, as used in resistance wire! So I doubt
 > you will find Stainless steel N type plugs.
 >
 > I use nickel plated N Types on boats with good results but not
 > mounted on aluminium.
 >
 > Some jointing compounds e.g. Duralac create an open circuit across
 > the joint however Bicon should be fine.
 >
 > 73s
 > Richard
 > GD8EXI

 Stainless steel RF connectors are quite common.

 Dave

I noted that for some years Radiall connectors are available with "BBR" plating, a form of bronze. According to their publicity (of course) it is better than anything else considering cost, corrosion, toxicity, loss, PIM etc.
The point is, I think, it looks rather like nickel plating, but if it is on a Radall connector it probably is BBR.

https://www.radiall.com/media/Guide%20BBR%20D1030DE.pdf

ian hope (2E0IJH)

Stainless is avalible but not cheep, https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7455081/

Have used them in Marine situations

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 at 10:40 AM
From: "Ken G3YKI" <kenneth@...>
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 12:48, Michael Scott via groups.io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All

I am looking for a four hole mounting female N connector in stainless
steel ( if such a thing exists ) to replace the one on a helix feed to
my QO-100 uplink antenna.

As others have shown, they do exist.

Try FC Lane / Lane Electronics, on

01403 790661

They do a lot of connectors, and whilst I think Huber & Suhner are overrated, FC Lane are the official distributors for H&S.  I paid £35 a couple of years ago for stainless steel N that are hermetically sealed. H&S were the only manufacturer I could find for them - or at least were obtainable. Lane Electronics were the only source I could find. They are single hole mounting though. I would have preferred 4-hole myself, but could not find any N hermetically sealed. But since you don’t require hermetically sealed, you should have a far wider choice.

Dave.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United Kingdom

Michael Scott

John

You are right, it was the ali which coroded where it was in contact with the silver plated brass. Brushing the connector with a steel brush cleaned it up well! A dip in Goddards silver dip made it like new!

73, Mike.