Topics

Spid Rotator

Mike GD6ICR

Huge interference on 2m and above in use any ideas.
--
Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW

Steve G4HTZ

Mine is really bad on 6/4/2m ....so bad I’ve changed it for a yaesu 1000
plenty of people have had problems with the noise ....never seen a cure given .

see last paragraphs of this blog

http://gm4fvm.blogspot.com/2018/04/spid-rau-rotator.html

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Peter G3SMT

Hi Mike,

Yes, they do make quite a bit of noise from the brushes and carbon deposits from the brushes.  A good clean out solves the issue for a while but I have found that the usual capacitor from each side and a capacitor across the supply right at the terminals to be effective.  I have an RAU on one tower and an RAK on the other both giving simlar issues up to 2m.

73

Peter

G3SMT

On 05/01/2021 21:25, Mike GD6ICR wrote:
Huge interference on 2m and above in use any ideas.
--
Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW

--
Peter G3SMT

Richard GD8EXI

Mike
As you know I have three BIG-RAK SPID rotators and have not suffered any significant interference problems on 144, 432 or 1296MHz, the exception being very weak interference when controlling them from a computer using a USB cable.

It might be worth carefully driving the motor momentarily directly from a non-switching mode PSU so bypassing the control box. Thus determining if it is the motor itself or the control system causing the issue.

My rotators are nearly at ground level rotating the whole mast, so at least 10metres from the antennas, so that might be why I see few problems.

73s
Richard
GD8EXI

On 05/01/2021, 22:48, "Peter  G3SMT via groups.io" <peter.torry@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

Yes, they do make quite a bit of noise from the brushes and carbon deposits from the brushes.  A good clean out solves the issue for a while but I have found that the usual capacitor from each side and a capacitor across the supply right at the terminals to be effective.  I have an RAU on one tower and an RAK on the other both giving simlar issues up to 2m.

73

Peter

G3SMT

On 05/01/2021 21:25, Mike GD6ICR wrote:

 Huge interference on 2m and above in use any ideas.
 --
 Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Surely just the usual 0.1uF capacitors on the motor (as should always be fitted to DC motors) will clear up most if not all of it?