Topics

Silly Things To Do on 10 GHz

Neil Smith G4DBN

Not much action on a Saturday night on 3cm, so after checking the usual beacons and hearing the usual suspects, FNY, CAM, OSW and PKT, but not a sniff from even the ever-faithful KBQ, I decided to send a bit of JT9F in the direction of the most excellent Mow Cop WebSDR. I set Audacity to record the sound from my Chrome session with the WebSDR, then played it back using the same Virtual Audio Cable that I normally use between the Elad FDM-SW2 SDR software and various digimode programs.

WSJT-X decoded it nicely at -8dB.

I suppose I could use the Club callsign and a bit of scripting to "work" myself via Mow Cop, rather like I did when there was decent rainscatter, good enough to allow FT8 over NBFM over 10GHz rainscatter over WebSDR, but there is a limit to the amount of silliness that I can allow myself before dissolving into fits of giggles and making the dogs uneasy.

And then there is always tonal graffiti, Pacman, cartoons or woteva.

I don't suppose anyone fancies one of those old-fashioned Kew-Ess-Ohs that used to be in vogue? It might be amusing to try a bit of JT9 or QRA64 while things are flat-but-not-horribly-absorptive. If it won't work direct, then perhaps via Mow Cop! Perhaps I'll just go and machine something...

Neil G4DBN

Chris G0WUS

Could probo have a game of naughts and crosses maybe via now cop.

Radio came in handy tonight was on the 4th escapse room with the wife and one of the clues was written in morse and they gave you a look up chart for the non morse people anyway did it fast well maybe slightly slower when looking at page of dots and dashes then actually listening to it but got the code in record time. The woman in charge said how did you crack the code so fast!!! Means not many hams do escape rooms lol

Chris G0WUS

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

[...]

GB3KBQ just rose out of the noise, but it is still at ESP level. Still, not bad at 340 km.

I have zero idea what an "escape room" is. Suppose I should google it.

Neil G4DBN

On 17/10/2020 21:53, Chris G0WUS wrote:
Could probo have a game of naughts and crosses maybe via now cop.

Radio came in handy tonight was on the 4th escapse room with the wife and one of the clues was written in morse and they gave you a look up chart for the non morse people anyway did it fast well maybe slightly slower when looking at page of dots and dashes then actually listening to it but got the code in record time. The woman in charge said how did you crack the code so fast!!! Means not many hams do escape rooms lol

Paul Randall G3NJV

..... "Escape room" ... obviously not what first came to mind if you were in there "with the wife" ...

My friend has a fully kitted out garden shed which sometimes emits Morse code noises - he calls that his escape room.