Topics

Siglent, Telonic, Lab

Ian White

Any views, please, about Siglent spectrum analysers?

Also, any experience about Telonic versus Labtronix as the UK dealer - thinking particularly about support?

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK

Paul G8KFW

Hi Ian

Are you thinking of new or used ?

The price of used test equipment over 20 years old can reflect the serviceability / availability of service manuals

The old Telonic equipment I have handled was quite simple  inside but never found any service manuals so quickly moved it on

Similarly the Labtronix gear I have used performed to its speck but never had to repair one but also never hade the service manual

Best advise is to look at the most common equipment that will do the job you want to do

Glad to help of line

Regards Paul   mainly into HP , EIP , Marconi and Tek

Any views, please, about Siglent spectrum analysers?

Also, any experience about Telonic versus Labtronix as the UK dealer - thinking particularly about support?

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK

Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Paul Phillips

Hi Ian,

I bought a Siglent oscilloscope from Telonic in November as a gift for my son.  We haven't had any service issues (yet) but I spoke to them by telephone beforehand and they were quite helpful - helpful enough to make me decide to buy from them rather than one of the other possible ways of acquiring these things.

I was quite impressed by the oscilloscope's performance.  I am experienced with plenty of test equipment from, for example HP (Agilent / Keysight etc), Tektronix and LeCroy and they are generally very good (of course),  However, I honestly can't see why you would spend double or more on the same capability when stuff like Siglent is available at a much lower cost.  I don't have any experience of Siglent spectrum analysers but Chris G3WIE gave a talk at my radio club recently and he brought along his Siglent spectrum analyser.  He seemed happy enough with it and it appeared to do its job perfectly adequately (which, in this case, was looking at spurs from a 4m transverter).

If you are comparing buying new from Siglent or used from, say, HP or Tek I would say that the new equipment has the advantages of being much smaller and lighter, a nicer screen and can easily generate data and screen shots.  Not to mention warranty, serviceability etc.  I have bought a fair amount of used equipment in the past to avoid the very high costs of new test equipment, but these days you would have to think quite hard about these lower cost offerings, unless you really need top end performance.

Hope this helps.

73,

Paul G4KZY

Good luck with your

alwyn.seeds1

Dear Ian,

Phase noise performance is what you pay for in spectrum analysers. The performance numbers for an HP8560E series analyser are much better than the Siglent. These HP analysers show up regularly on e-bay and a good sample should give you years of service. At work, we still have loads of them in use and Keysight repair and calibrate them, though not at amateur prices. Manuals are readily available, including detailed service manuals from Artek, that are invaluable for repairs. The construction is rather compact- as they were designed for US Army field maintenance applications, but repairs are manageable with care. The most common failures are blown mixers (expensive, so check before purchase) and short circuit tantalum bead capacitors.

Because large numbers were made, getting spares from scrap units is still reasonably possible.

Even larger numbers of the HP8590E series are available; lower spec. but still better than the Siglent.

As with anything e-bay caveat emptor applies, but I have bought several 8560 and 8590 over the last 10 years and they have all been great value for money.

Regards,

Alwyn

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,
114 Beaufort Street,
London,
SW3 6BU,
England.

Chris G3WIE

As my name was mentioned, I thought I'd better reply...

The Siglent 3032X is good enough for me, but I wouldn't say I'm a particularly exacting user. Before I acquired it, I visited Telonic and Labtronix and took with me an ex-cellular 900MHz BPF with 80dB stopband and a pair of battery-powered 70MHz crystal oscillators a few kHz apart combined with a 6dB hybrid. I persuaded the salesmen to press the buttons to my requirement. Neither was particularly familiar with the instrument, but both managed to do what I asked - a how-easy-is-it test. The Siglent could get further down (70dB+) into the stopband of the filter, both gave a creditable picture of the two-tone oscillator with no signs of intermods down to the noise at 60dB which was likely the oscillators. The Siglent doesn't have a touch screen. With both, if you narrow RBW and VBW too much you can wait tens of seconds for a scan! Previously I had use of an HP 8558B/HP182 mainframe and I've taken photos from its screen in similar circumstances which implies both Rigol and Siglent could apply more DSP.

The SIglent has an ethernet socket but support is via National Instrument software which I'm not about to get involved in. I haven't found any information that would enable me to write my own beyond using a socket and SCPI (primitve) commands

Using my Siglent over the last 2 years I have only the usual niggles about the user interface that you get from anyone with any piece of equipment.  It sometimes corrupts a screenshot file being written to a USB stick; there's no 'safely remove' menu item and I now wait 20 seconds before unplugging.  I had trouble with a licence key not accepted; you need one to enable the extra features. Labtronix sorted it out very promptly. I've had a couple of firmware upgrades with no apparent change in performance.

Service/warranty in both cases was return to factory, not in UK. Siglent have an office in Germany. I now see that siglent.co.uk takes you to a Telonic site, they now sell both Rigol and Siglent! Other support aspects may have changed since I got mine a couple of years ago.

Hope that's of some help; happy to correspond off-list if it is of interest

73

Chris G3WIE

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 at 09:04, Paul Phillips <paul.g4kzy@...> wrote:
Hi Ian,

If you are comparing buying new from Siglent or used from, say, HP or Tek I would say that the new equipment has the advantages of being much smaller and lighter,
Yes
a nicer screen
Yes
and can easily generate data and screen shots.
Yes
Not to mention warranty,
Yes
serviceability etc.

Now, this is where I disagree. The chances of you being able to service a Siglent in a few years once it is outside its warranty period, is a bit remote. I would say you have far more chance of being able to service HP/Agilent kit than any other make.

  I have bought a fair amount of used equipment in the past to avoid the very high costs of new test equipment, but these days you would have to think quite hard about these lower cost offerings, unless you really need top end performance.

A used high-end instrument is going to hold its value a lot more than a new Siglent too.  The used high-end stuff has done most of its depreciating.

Hope this helps.

73,

Paul G4KZY

Dave, G8WRB.