From: G1DFL via groups.io <peterdwberkshire@...>
To: UK Microwaves groups.io <ukmicrowaves@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 13:13
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] SHF UKAC

I plan to be on 13cm and 9cm tonight for the Feb SHF UKAC, wind permitting!
Hope to work a few of you, especially if local to IO91.

Anyone else on?

Regards...Pete
G1DFL

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

13cm with new preamp, iff the wind drops ...

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 at 13:19, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

3Cm if wind drops.

Ben G4BXD IO82UJ

I plan to be on 13cm and 9cm tonight for the Feb SHF UKAC, wind permitting!
Hope to work a few of you, especially if local to IO91.

Anyone else on?

Regards...Pete
G1DFL

Dave (G1OGY)

If I can get the 9cm kit out of uncommanded TX, I'll be on 3400, only.

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021, 13:14 G1DFL via groups.io, <peterdwberkshire=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I plan to be on 13cm and 9cm tonight for the Feb SHF UKAC, wind permitting!
Hope to work a few of you, especially if local to IO91.

Anyone else on?

Regards...Pete
G1DFL

Neil Smith G4DBN

Same here, wind is serious at the moment, 40 MPH gusts, and it doesn't look likely to drop much this evening. If I'm on, I'll log into KST.

Neil G4DBN

3cm only IO93NR

On 23/02/2021 13:19, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

3Cm if wind drops.

Ben G4BXD IO82UJ

Nigel G8IFN

I will be on 9cm.
Will only be able to work the two stations closest to me, Dave G1OGY and John G4ZTR, as my antenna is still indoors.
--
Nigel G8IFN - JO01LS

Dave (G1OGY)

I'll look forward to it Nigel.
My earlier problem is solved.
I'll be QRV from 2000hrs.

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021, 17:44 Nigel G8IFN, <nigel@...> wrote:
I will be on 9cm.
Will only be able to work the two stations closest to me, Dave G1OGY and John G4ZTR, as my antenna is still indoors.
--
Nigel G8IFN - JO01LS

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Far, FAR too windy to put the tower up.  I am a bit exhausted after a stupidly busy work week last week ... my head wasn't in it anyway.

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 at 18:13, Dave (G1OGY) <g1ogy@...> wrote:
I'll look forward to it Nigel.
My earlier problem is solved.
I'll be QRV from 2000hrs.

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021, 17:44 Nigel G8IFN, <nigel@...> wrote:
I will be on 9cm.
Will only be able to work the two stations closest to me, Dave G1OGY and John G4ZTR, as my antenna is still indoors.
--
Nigel G8IFN - JO01LS

It was pretty scary here, even with some extra guying and with the dish at 20ft.  Still, four stations over 200km with the dish just peeping over the barn roof is not too shabby.  The storm south of Sheffield was blowing directly along the path from Peter G3PHO to me, and as he has to beam 180 away to get a reflection, he was actually reflecting off the scatter point, with the hydrometeors moving very fast towards both of us. I nearly missed his reply as the CW was shifted way outside my passband and spread over 1kHz wide. As Peter is on the other side of a 500ft hill from here, the rain must have been between him and the usual reflection point, which we have still not identified, as there was no simple reflection at all, just the RS.

Started very late and gave up early. Nine contacts. Nice to make it with Martyn G3UKV on gravelly SSB via the same storm as with Peter.

Neil G4DBN

On 23/02/2021 23:31, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
Far, FAR too windy to put the tower up.  I am a bit exhausted after a stupidly busy work week last week ... my head wasn't in it anyway.

militaryoperator

Sorry we missed you Neil.  1 qso in the first 1/2 hour, pole was only a few feet up and swaying about like made.

Tried with 2 others, nil and no replies to several KST shouts and CQ's so gave up by 8:30.

Next time, hi.

Ben G4BXD

[...]

The rain was probably not quite in the right place by the time I got on Ben, but the wind was just ridiculous until 2030 anyway.

I should really put in some permanent guying arrangements, but then I'd have to lock off the SCAM sections and it all adds to the amount of faff. If I had a full second transverter/PA and smaller dish it might make sense to deploy that on windy days, but also if it could see round my tree belt I could work the folks in IO91/92 that are blocked from the main mast.

I should have a new transverter soon, as the first batch of F6BVA 3cm-UHF transverter PCBs has just been shipped from the fabricator to F5BQP and the first batch of local oscillators is on the way to me from DF9NP. Some of the parts are on back order, so it will be a while before we can get them operational. I now have 16 boards on the waiting list for the next batch with several others thinking about it. Pierre-François has just asked for expressions of interest in another PCB group buy.

It will be nice to hear some of the transverters on the air.  Even barefoot with a Pluto or something as IF it should be feasible to work a few stations, and if we can get a 1-2 watt PA kit sorted, or find a good supply of ex-equipment PAs, even I might hear a few of the boards on the band from up here.

Neil G4DBN

On 24/02/2021 10:51, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
[...]

_._