Topics

Serious Apostrophacalyspe

Andy G4JNT

Apologies everyone!!!!!
In my last email I inserted an incorrect, misplaced and totally-wrong apostrophe.
"The 1970s"  does not take an apostrophe.  They should only be used for possession or to show missing letters.

There's a whole Facebook Group with 5600 members dedicated to correct use of apostrophes https://www.facebook.com/groups/apostropheprotectionsociety

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 20:47, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

I guess it's a bit like valves versus solid state back in the 1970's

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

And don't forget the Apostrophiser of Bristol ...

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 22:58, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
Apologies everyone!!!!!
In my last email I inserted an incorrect, misplaced and totally-wrong apostrophe.
"The 1970s"  does not take an apostrophe.  They should only be used for possession or to show missing letters.

There's a whole Facebook Group with 5600 members dedicated to correct use of apostrophes https://www.facebook.com/groups/apostropheprotectionsociety

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 20:47, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

I guess it's a bit like valves versus solid state back in the 1970's

Colin Ranson

Robin, Andy,

Depends where you put the apostrophes in Eats Shoots and Leaves !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eats-Shoots-Leaves-Lynne-Truss/dp/0007329067

Happy reading,

Colin.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

And don't forget the Apostrophiser of Bristol ...

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 22:58, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Apologies everyone!!!!!

In my last email I inserted an incorrect, misplaced and totally-wrong apostrophe.

"The 1970s"  does not take an apostrophe.  They should only be used for possession or to show missing letters.

There's a whole Facebook Group with 5600 members dedicated to correct use of apostrophes https://www.facebook.com/groups/apostropheprotectionsociety

Andy

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 20:47, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

I guess it's a bit like valves versus solid state back in the 1970's

My Hero :
I was once clapped by passers by when I rubbed out the grocer's apostrophe on, of all things, "Potatoe's"  [sic] outside a grocer's shop.
"Trolley's" in an almost-hidden corner at the local Sainsbury's Superstore ought to be next, but it's a bit too far off the ground to reach easily.

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 01:34, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
And don't forget the Apostrophiser of Bristol ...

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 22:58, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
Apologies everyone!!!!!
In my last email I inserted an incorrect, misplaced and totally-wrong apostrophe.
"The 1970s"  does not take an apostrophe.  They should only be used for possession or to show missing letters.

There's a whole Facebook Group with 5600 members dedicated to correct use of apostrophes https://www.facebook.com/groups/apostropheprotectionsociety

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 at 20:47, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

I guess it's a bit like valves versus solid state back in the 1970's

I wouldn't put an apostrophe in there at all, just a comma.

This is not Microwaves
  - as Group owner, do I care?

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 09:57, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

[...]

militaryoperator

--

I wouldn't worry Andy given that most newcomers to the hobby, and few older ones, can not even get the correct spelling for the thing that launches their signal into space.

aerial
noun C ]
UK

/ˈeə.ri.əl/
 US

/ˈer.i.əl/
(also mainly US antenna)
structure made of metal rods or wires that receives or sends out radio or television signals

I've seen aereal, arial, aireal, and so on, mostly on FB Group postings. (my spellchecker keeps trying to correct this line!)
It's the sad demise of English, just like the loss of Latin a few decades ago.
quod pertinet ad conserva,  Ben G4BXD

Andy G4JNT

As one chap from ESa once put it :

  "We have Antennas
   Insects have Antennae.
   The English have Aerials."

I prefer 'antennas' , the word aerial is just too antiquated and quaint.

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 10:11, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Peter

Hi all,

Antennas vs Aerials - I agree with Andy's comments.

Commas and apostrophes are the least of our problems in the hobby.

The abuse of the SI system of measurements in a real worry! Many people have absolutely NO idea!

Distances in KelvinMega, Power as KelvinWatts, etc, etc, etc..... Plus many more....

Regards,

Peter VK3PF

alwyn.seeds1

Dear Andy,

I presume that most of the member’s are grocer’s?

Regards,

Alwyn

Alwyn Seeds, Director
114 Beaufort Street (Management) Company Ltd.,
114 Beaufort Street,
London,
SW3 6BU

114 Beaufort Street (Management) Company Ltd., Registered in England and Wales: No. 02797775 Registered Office Address: 114 Beaufort Street, London, SW3 6BU

The 'k' or 'K' is even more confusing, as it's quite acceptable to use upper case 'K' when talking about binary numbers, to mean 2^10 or  1024 or 0x40

M and G  then get very confusing because they then mean 2^20 and 2^30

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 10:19, Peter <peter.vk3pf@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Antennas vs Aerials - I agree with Andy's comments.

Commas and apostrophes are the least of our problems in the hobby.

The abuse of the SI system of measurements in a real worry! Many people have absolutely NO idea!

Distances in KelvinMega, Power as KelvinWatts, etc, etc, etc..... Plus many more....

Regards,

Peter VK3PF

militaryoperator

the word aerial is just too antiquated and quaint.

Wow! Still, I guess one shouldn't Brabble as it would be Contumelious.

Erstwhile I could be thought of as a Fopdoodle.

Cherri pip.  Ben

Brabble To argue loudly about things that don’t matter

Contumelious  Scornful or arrogantly rude

Erstwhile In another time

Fopdoodle  An insignificant or foolish man

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Confusingly, the BBC staff magazine is called Ariel ...

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 10:30, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

the word aerial is just too antiquated and quaint.

Wow! Still, I guess one shouldn't Brabble as it would be Contumelious.

Erstwhile I could be thought of as a Fopdoodle.

Cherri pip.  Ben

Brabble To argue loudly about things that don’t matter

Contumelious  Scornful or arrogantly rude

Erstwhile In another time

Fopdoodle  An insignificant or foolish man

John E. Beech

The word "aerial is short for "aerial wire" & dates back to Marconi's time, so dishes & Yagis etc should not be called
aerials. Also note "Ariel" is a character in Shakespeare's "The Tempest".

de John G8SEQ