Topics

Real DX !

militaryoperator

NASA reestablishes contact with 43-year-old Voyager 2 which is 11.6 BILLION miles from Earth after repairs to antenna in Australia left spacecraft flying solo for seven months

  • Voyager 2 has been traveling through space since launching in 1977
  • The spacecraft is now more than 11.6 billion miles away from Earth
  • NASA cutoff communication with the probe in March to repair a satellite
  • The Deep Space Station 43 antenna in Australia went back online and sent Voyager 2 a signal
  • The craft received the signal and sent a reply that reached NASA 34 hours later

WOW

Andy GD1MIP

And to think I celebrated GD to G0HIK in Cumbria on 2.4 GHz.

Andy GD1MIP

Lou Blasco

Hi All,

There was a question on the UK microwavers FB page regarding this dish. I can't contribute there because I don't live in the UK but I think the operational details about the deep space network are very interesting. The page is interactive and you can find info about what the dishes are doing in real time as well as technical details about the communication link. Perhaps one of you here might like to share the link on the FB page?

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 12:07 AM Andy GD1MIP <gd1mip@...> wrote:
And to think I celebrated GD to G0HIK in Cumbria on 2.4 GHz.

Andy GD1MIP

Tim, VK2XAX

And if you want more info on that dish and its siblings in Canberra, go here....

https://www.cdscc.nasa.gov/

If you want to see a really big X band assembly get installed in DS43 during its latest upgrade, check out their Youtube channel and the video here...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRIAdUKk4Xb-IuebzkG8XXQ

cheers

Tim

--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA