Re fixing cores

Dave

I wonder what people use to fix cores such as the in the oscillator coils of DB6NT transverters. The brass core in my 5.7 ghz transverter is rather loose ( not good for a portable station) and I have seen wax mentioned on U tube but I would have thought that things like thin cotton are likely to lock and pre unpredictable.
73
Dave G4GLT.

Andy G4JNT

Plumbers PTFE tape

On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 16:48, Dave via groups.io <davidnewman55=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I wonder what people use to fix cores such as the in the oscillator coils of DB6NT transverters. The brass core in my 5.7 ghz transverter is rather loose ( not good for a portable station) and I have seen wax mentioned on U tube but I would have thought that things like thin  cotton are likely to lock and pre unpredictable.
73
Dave G4GLT.

Dave

Thanks Andy.

On 21 May 2021, at 16:50, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Plumbers PTFE tape

On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 16:48, Dave via groups.io <davidnewman55=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I wonder what people use to fix cores such as the in the oscillator coils of DB6NT transverters. The brass core in my 5.7 ghz transverter is rather loose ( not good for a portable station) and I have seen wax mentioned on U tube but I would have thought that things like thin  cotton are likely to lock and pre unpredictable.
73
Dave G4GLT.

geoffrey pike

A piece of an old thin elastic band,or thin ptfe as suggested
Geoff
GI0GDP

On Friday, 21 May 2021, 16:48:43 BST, Dave via groups.io <davidnewman55@...> wrote:

I wonder what people use to fix cores such as the in the oscillator coils of DB6NT transverters. The brass core in my 5.7 ghz transverter is rather loose ( not good for a portable station) and I have seen wax mentioned on U tube but I would have thought that things like thin  cotton are likely to lock and pre unpredictable.
73
Dave G4GLT.

R Hopkins

I use Core Locking compound made by Rocol.

It looks like it's silicon based. It's sticky and doesn't harden. Can't tell you where to get it
though. I bought mine in a rally in the early eighties.

Roger GW4NOS

On Fri, 21 May 2021 16:48:28 +0100, you wrote:

I wonder what people use to fix cores such as the in the oscillator coils of DB6NT transverters. The brass core in my 5.7 ghz transverter is rather loose ( not good for a portable station) and I have seen wax mentioned on U tube but I would have thought that things like thin cotton are likely to lock and pre unpredictable.
73
Dave G4GLT.

Dave

Thanks to everyone who has replied. All very helpful.
73
Dave G4GLT.

On 21 May 2021, at 18:13, R Hopkins via groups.io <gw4nos=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

I use Core Locking compound made by Rocol.

It looks like it's silicon based. It's sticky and doesn't harden. Can't tell you where to get it
though. I bought mine in a rally in the early eighties.

Roger GW4NOS

On Fri, 21 May 2021 16:48:28 +0100, you wrote:

I wonder what people use to fix cores such as the in the oscillator coils of DB6NT transverters. The brass core in my 5.7 ghz transverter is rather loose ( not good for a portable station) and I have seen wax mentioned on U tube but I would have thought that things like thin cotton are likely to lock and pre unpredictable.
73
Dave G4GLT.

Chris

what I use is I don't know what it is called,its the thin stretchy thread ,I unwrap it and use the thin elastic core

Chris GM4YLN

Dave

Thanks Chris,
Yes, think I remember it in the distant past.
73
Dave G4GLT.