Ramco boat anchors, was10 GHZ SSPAs

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I think the Eaton 2075 is good too ... all I need now is a proper calibrated noise source, like an HP 346B ... then I can actually calibrate some of my own noise source.  I guess I'll look on eBay first ...

On Sun, 12 Sept 2021 at 13:46, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
And ... the HP 8970B is tested and working as expected, cals fine, gets the calculations right ... seems to work a charm in its basic mode (no external mixer) at any rate, so that one is a winner ... on to test the Eaton 2075 now ... wish me luck.

On Fri, 10 Sept 2021 at 20:24, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
So, returned home just now, first things first, check on the bees and then get these noise figure meters out of their cardboard box from Ramco.

Incredibly badly packed, but they survived.

So the HP8970B appears to be in fine fettle, expired cal in 2020, powers up, no error messages, appears to function as expected ... I shall try it with a noise source later.

The Eaton also appears to pass its self test, the fault appears to be a decaying/burning Class X capacitor in the front the of the SMPS ... filled the room with smoke!  I was able to power it on long enough to see the self test pass and check basic functions, so I suspect this one is going to be a worker, as it will have been a very simple PSU problem that caused it to be pulled from service. I know the smell of thos caps buring very well, I was rather pleased in a way, as it is a nice easy fix!

Time will tell if the HP is actually a worker or someone transmitted into the front end ...

So, maybe not quite so dud after all!

Another package contained an IC706MK2G, I think I made a bit of an error here, as I appear to have bought 2 of them ... oh well, always good to have a spare!

I also received via a kind Dutchman my WRD750 to WG16 adaptor to I can test fire my TWTAs into a a 20dB horn and irradiate the neighbourhood ... if you hear a squeggy mess very loudly on 10368, that will be my YIG driven sig gen driving 400W of twt in a random direction.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 11:55, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Ramco duds are always useful as boat anchors...

On 31/08/2021 11:26, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
> I am however on my boat in the Scillies at the moment, so it may be "a
> while" before I get back to dry land to play with this ... the wind is
> not good for heading back to Great Britain just yet.   I have not been
> completely idle however, I did manage to purchase a couole of noise
> figure meters in the Ramco auction (an HP and an Eaton) ... hopefully
> one of them works.

Drop me a line if you are bidding for one and I'll hang back so we don't get into a bidding war, I'm not in (much of) a rush for one as I have an RFD2305 from https://g8fek.com/precision-noise-sources.html that is calibrated to 3.4 GHz.

Neil G4DBN

On 12/09/2021 15:41, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
I think the Eaton 2075 is good too ... all I need now is a proper calibrated noise source, like an HP 346B ... then I can actually calibrate some of my own noise source.  I guess I'll look on eBay first ...

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Will do,  I might try and borrow one and then calibrate some of my home-made sources ... just being able to take relative measurements is a useful feature for now, and I know once calibrated agaisnt a known source, the Eaton 2075 can produce ENR calibration figures for another source. I haven't fully read the HP manual, maybe that can too.

I also managed to obtain a noisecom NS303 diode from a kind chap which could turn out ot be useful.

On Sun, 12 Sept 2021 at 15:55, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Drop me a line if you are bidding for one and I'll hang back so we don't
get into a bidding war, I'm not in (much of) a rush for one as I have an
RFD2305 from https://g8fek.com/precision-noise-sources.html that is
calibrated to 3.4 GHz.

Neil G4DBN

On 12/09/2021 15:41, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
> I think the Eaton 2075 is good too ... all I need now is a proper
> calibrated noise source, like an HP 346B ... then I can actually
> calibrate some of my own noise source.  I guess I'll look on eBay
> first ...

Paul G8AQA

Hi Robin,

I have various noise sources from 10 MHz to 12.4GHz. These were calibrated at Martlesham at the last round table.  You are welcome to play.

73
Paul G8AQA

On 12/09/2021 15:41, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
I think the Eaton 2075 is good too ... all I need now is a proper calibrated noise source, like an HP 346B ... then I can actually calibrate some of my own noise source.  I guess I'll look on eBay first ...

On Sun, 12 Sept 2021 at 13:46, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
And ... the HP 8970B is tested and working as expected, cals fine, gets the calculations right ... seems to work a charm in its basic mode (no external mixer) at any rate, so that one is a winner ... on to test the Eaton 2075 now ... wish me luck.

On Fri, 10 Sept 2021 at 20:24, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
So, returned home just now, first things first, check on the bees and then get these noise figure meters out of their cardboard box from Ramco.

Incredibly badly packed, but they survived.

So the HP8970B appears to be in fine fettle, expired cal in 2020, powers up, no error messages, appears to function as expected ... I shall try it with a noise source later.

The Eaton also appears to pass its self test, the fault appears to be a decaying/burning Class X capacitor in the front the of the SMPS ... filled the room with smoke!  I was able to power it on long enough to see the self test pass and check basic functions, so I suspect this one is going to be a worker, as it will have been a very simple PSU problem that caused it to be pulled from service. I know the smell of thos caps buring very well, I was rather pleased in a way, as it is a nice easy fix!

Time will tell if the HP is actually a worker or someone transmitted into the front end ...

So, maybe not quite so dud after all!

Another package contained an IC706MK2G, I think I made a bit of an error here, as I appear to have bought 2 of them ... oh well, always good to have a spare!

I also received via a kind Dutchman my WRD750 to WG16 adaptor to I can test fire my TWTAs into a a 20dB horn and irradiate the neighbourhood ... if you hear a squeggy mess very loudly on 10368, that will be my YIG driven sig gen driving 400W of twt in a random direction.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 11:55, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Ramco duds are always useful as boat anchors...

On 31/08/2021 11:26, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
> I am however on my boat in the Scillies at the moment, so it may be "a
> while" before I get back to dry land to play with this ... the wind is
> not good for heading back to Great Britain just yet.   I have not been
> completely idle however, I did manage to purchase a couole of noise
> figure meters in the Ramco auction (an HP and an Eaton) ... hopefully
> one of them works.

Ah ha!  That may help greatly.

My plan was to calibrate one of my home-made noise sources as a reference, and use that as the calibration source for my NF meter. I can then produce reasonably reliabe ENR figures for the simple CANFI noise sources I was giving away recently, which will be much more useful to people with a calibration of some sort.

I'll give you a call at some point and pop over. I still have a bunch of the milling machine toolholders in the back of the car for you.

On Tue, 14 Sept 2021 at 10:07, Paul G8AQA via groups.io <paulnick=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
> [...]

I also received via a kind Dutchman my WRD750 to WG16 adaptor to I can test fire my TWTAs into a a 20dB horn and irradiate the neighbourhood ... if you hear a squeggy mess very loudly on 10368, that will be my YIG driven sig gen driving 400W of twt in a random direction.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 11:55, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Ramco duds are always useful as boat anchors...

On 31/08/2021 11:26, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
> I am however on my boat in the Scillies at the moment, so it may be "a
> while" before I get back to dry land to play with this ... the wind is
> not good for heading back to Great Britain just yet.   I have not been
> completely idle however, I did manage to purchase a couole of noise
> figure meters in the Ramco auction (an HP and an Eaton) ... hopefully

alwyn.seeds1

Dear Robin,

Forgive me putting in a word for the G8FEK noise sources.

I have several of these, which I have checked against in-cal Keysight noise sources; all meet spec. and the price is good.

I have no commercial connection with the manufacturer, of course.

Regards,

Alwyn G8DOH

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,