Ramco boat anchors, was10 GHZ SSPAs

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

And ... the HP 8970B is tested and working as expected, cals fine, gets the calculations right ... seems to work a charm in its basic mode (no external mixer) at any rate, so that one is a winner ... on to test the Eaton 2075 now ... wish me luck.

On Fri, 10 Sept 2021 at 20:24, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
So, returned home just now, first things first, check on the bees and then get these noise figure meters out of their cardboard box from Ramco.

Incredibly badly packed, but they survived.

So the HP8970B appears to be in fine fettle, expired cal in 2020, powers up, no error messages, appears to function as expected ... I shall try it with a noise source later.

The Eaton also appears to pass its self test, the fault appears to be a decaying/burning Class X capacitor in the front the of the SMPS ... filled the room with smoke!  I was able to power it on long enough to see the self test pass and check basic functions, so I suspect this one is going to be a worker, as it will have been a very simple PSU problem that caused it to be pulled from service. I know the smell of thos caps buring very well, I was rather pleased in a way, as it is a nice easy fix!

Time will tell if the HP is actually a worker or someone transmitted into the front end ...

So, maybe not quite so dud after all!

Another package contained an IC706MK2G, I think I made a bit of an error here, as I appear to have bought 2 of them ... oh well, always good to have a spare!

I also received via a kind Dutchman my WRD750 to WG16 adaptor to I can test fire my TWTAs into a a 20dB horn and irradiate the neighbourhood ... if you hear a squeggy mess very loudly on 10368, that will be my YIG driven sig gen driving 400W of twt in a random direction.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 11:55, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Ramco duds are always useful as boat anchors...