Topics

Radiall Relay Using Outside Spec

Mark - M0WGF

Hi

I have a Radiall relay R570343010 which is spec as being frequency for 0 - 3 GHz.  I wonder if I could push it's operating frequency up to 3.4GHz?  Has anyone tried or have an opinion on if it will be ok?

I want to stick 15W through it so very much under its 200W rating.

Mark
M0WGF

Mike Willis

Edited

Probably. Measure the isolation and match and determine if it is acceptable. Your NanovnaV2 should be able to do that.

--
Mike G0MJW

DF6NA Rainer

Hi Marc,

the relay has a minimum isolation of 80dB @ 3GHz so it will be very usable at 3,4GHz.
Also the Insertion Loss shpuld be no problem. Try it and you will be satisfied !

73, Rainer

Am 18.02.2021 um 14:03 schrieb Mark - M0WGF:

Hi

I have a Radiall relay R570343010 which is spec as being frequency for 0 - 3 GHz.  I wonder if I could push it's operating frequency up to 3.4GHz?  Has anyone tried or have an opinion on if it will be ok?

I want to stick 15W through it so very much under its 200W rating.

Mark
M0WGF

Dave G8KHU

Hi Mark
and not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs but the 200W spec is the carry power, not the swiching power which from a hazy memory of a chat with Radiall many years ago was sub 1W.

73 Dave

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

With good sequencing you would have to be very unlucky to switch it with a TX signal active.

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 14:35, Dave G8KHU <david@...> wrote:
Hi Mark
and not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs but the 200W spec is the carry power, not the swiching power which from a hazy memory of a chat with Radiall many years ago was sub 1W.

73 Dave

Colin Ranson

Afternoon all,

Whilst peoples attention is on here I have a couple of Radial relays, Ref 563703 – wonder if anybody has info please ?  These are transfer with 4 x N sockets, 26v and don’t think they are latching.

Regards and thanks

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

With good sequencing you would have to be very unlucky to switch it with a TX signal active.

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 14:35, Dave G8KHU <david@...> wrote:

Hi Mark
and not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs but the 200W spec is the carry power, not the swiching power which from a hazy memory of a chat with Radiall many years ago was sub 1W.

73 Dave

I use one of those on the output of my 23cm PA, non latching 28V,  2GHz

... the spec for them is 400W  or so i am told, I assume that is a "continuous duty" level ... it however has been used with 700W os 23cm SSB for a while now and no issues, although I do have an SMA isolation relay in addition in front of the preamp.

image.png

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 14:57, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Afternoon all,

Whilst peoples attention is on here I have a couple of Radial relays, Ref 563703 – wonder if anybody has info please ?  These are transfer with 4 x N sockets, 26v and don’t think they are latching.

Regards and thanks

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

With good sequencing you would have to be very unlucky to switch it with a TX signal active.

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 14:35, Dave G8KHU <david@...> wrote:

Hi Mark
and not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs but the 200W spec is the carry power, not the swiching power which from a hazy memory of a chat with Radiall many years ago was sub 1W.

73 Dave

Colin Ranson

Thanks Robin !

Yo a star !

Not suitable for 3.4GHz but not a disappointment .... still very useable .

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

With good sequencing you would have to be very unlucky to switch it with a TX signal active.

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 14:35, Dave G8KHU <david@...> wrote:

Hi Mark
and not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs but the 200W spec is the carry power, not the swiching power which from a hazy memory of a chat with Radiall many years ago was sub 1W.

73 Dave

Dave G8KHU

Just had a browse on the Radiall website and found this:

https://www.radiall.com/ewscore/download/d/f/bWVkaWEvZG9jdW1lbnRfbGlicmFyeS9UZWNobm9sb2d5X2d1aWRlX1Jldl8yLjAucGRm/

Page 23 discusses hot switching and recommends 1w as a maximum

Sadly there is no information about Colin's relay to supplement Robin's information

Colin Ranson

Thanks for looking Dave

De G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Just had a browse on the Radiall website and found this:

https://www.radiall.com/ewscore/download/d/f/bWVkaWEvZG9jdW1lbnRfbGlicmFyeS9UZWNobm9sb2d5X2d1aWRlX1Jldl8yLjAucGRm/

Page 23 discusses hot switching and recommends 1w as a maximum

Sadly there is no information about Colin's relay to supplement Robin's information

Mike Willis

I would not recommend hot-switching at all. The relay might be happy but the preamp won't be.
--
Mike G0MJW

Mark - M0WGF

Thanks to all who answered my original question as Rainer said I'll give it ago.

I have a VNWA not a NanoVNA2 it's a bit pricey to buy a new VNA just to check one relay hence the question.

The relay will not be hot switched so that won't be an issue either.

Again thanks for the responses.

73 Mark
M0WGF