Topics

QO-100 Tomorrow

Nick Gregory G0HIK

I'm hoping to make it up Harter Fell in the Lake District tomorrow with my QO-100 kit.

I need four QSO's to make it a valid activation, please look at for me around 10489.700MHz.

Many thanks

Nick G0HIK

Graham G3VKV

Hi all,
Nick is on QO100 now (.700) from Harter Fell /p
  Graham

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Many Thanks to all I worked, for making today's QO-100 SOTA activation a success. I also Worked Andrew G4VFL/P direct on 13cms for a Summit to Summit contact, then he got out his mirror for a one way Heliograph QSO :)

I am hoping to be out Thur or Fri from Stoney Cove Pike in the Lakes.

73's

Nick G0HIK

Andy GD1MIP

Other hikers must laugh at the sight of the man carrying his TV satellite dish to the summit.

All credit to you.

BTW my 9 & 13cm transverter kits have cleared customs in England so GD to Cumbria soon (I hope).

Andy GD1MIP

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Hi Andy,

I look forward to a 13cm's test with you anytime.

I get less remarks than you would expect. Quite a lot of interest, a lot of folk seem to think that it is some sort of professional test for Phone coverage or some such thing.
Chris was with me and had a small mast and 5 ele 2mtr yagi, got the strangest remark yesterday, " I hope that you are not leaving they stuff up here" ?

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

As the Wx forecast is so good, I can sneek another SOTA activation in, A low fell this time, but it's in the "Honey Pot" part of the lakes and I've not done it before so will be "Interesting ?"

Hope to be on 10489.700MHz. +/- around 10:00 UTC, tomorrow Thur 17th.

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Many Thanks to all for a very nice QO-100 SOTA activation, I really appreciate people coming on to work me.

13 contacts in the Log and only one CQ call required. I got my first International Summit to Summit contact today, with Chris DL1CR/P.

I hoping to operate from Dent Fell, N.W. Lake district tomorrow from around 10:30 UTC.

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

I'm hoping to be out again tomorrow with the portable QO-100 kit.

Claife heights near to the old Radio College of Wray Castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=48&v=91xL2WJeN1o&feature=emb_logo

The summit is very small and surrounded by tree's, but G4VFL says there is a gap in the tree's at just the right QTF.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63576060@N08/6957254454/in/pool-1285813@N21/

Hoping to be setup around 10:15 UTC.

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Once again many thanks to all who contacted me with especial thanks to Graham G3VKV for always taking the time to be there.

Sorry I missed you Phil.

After a tough start, the quick post on here did the trick and from then on, I was kept busy for the next hour with 10 nice QSO's in the log and the battery almost exhausted, down to 10.8 volts.

It was a five mile round trip so worked off the calories from the weekend, with Strava telling my the count was 1000 calories and they dont allow for the rucsac !

Absolutely no view from this summit, with the plantation grown up, not how Beatrix Potter would have seen it.

But just enough clearance to aim over the tree's to access the satellite.

The weather is not playing ball this week for any more activity though.

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

I am hoping to setup from SOTA site Arnside Knott tomorrow  Friday 25/9/2020, which is just above Arnside on Morecambe Bay.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.1893184,-2.8416701,230m/data=!3m1!1e3

It's not a high or difficult one, but I need a bit of shelter from the wind to protect the dish and this summit need activating on QO-100.

If you get the chance please have a go at working me please.

I'm not sure of the time yet as I would like to tie it in with working Richard G(M)3CWI/P up on the Kintyre on 2 mtrs.

I'll post the time in the morning.

73's

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

I've just got to the car park, I should be on QO100 in around 30mins 11:30 local time 25thsept.

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

I'll be out on another SOTA summit tomorrow (29/9/20) with the QO-100 kit.

This time Lingmoor Fell in the central lake district.

Around 11:15 BST 2400.200 +/-

It will be great if I can work some of you.

Nick G0HIK

Graham G3VKV

Hi NIck,  - will be on as usual -  73 Graham

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Hi Hope to be out tomorrow (1/10/20)  on a fell that I've never visited before.

I dont know if there will much shelter from the wind, but I'm going to give it a try.

It's quite a drive away but best estimate around 11:45 local time, 2400.200 +/-

I look forward to working my two stalwart contacts and anyone else if you can spare a couple of minutes.

Many thanks

Nick G0HIK

Paul Randall G3NJV

Nick

Great stuff, reading your exploits is very inspirational, getting out and about must be wonderful for your physical health and those remote places good for the soul.

I haven’t finished my QO100 station yet but will try listen for you, probably on the SDR at Goonhilly (my old sweat shop).

I’d appreciate a quick overview of your portable station when you have the time – how you pack it all in and power it..

Last spring I ordered a patio dish mount and received a 70cm dish instead!

After a quick phone call the dish mount duly arrived but the return pickup for the dish never happened.

So I’ve a brand new dish just sitting here looking for a life haha.

As an aside, what counts as a summit? No high ground around here except some granite lumps in West Penwith, Camborne-Redruth and then Bodmin and its moor.

I’m a (very good) beach caster throw from IN79, the most southerly bit of UK. 2 mins walk.

I also have a boat, has anyone done QO100 maritime mobile before?

Have fun tomorrow.

Best regards, Paul

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi Hope to be out tomorrow (1/10/20)  on a fell that I've never visited before.

I dont know if there will much shelter from the wind, but I'm going to give it a try.

It's quite a drive away but best estimate around 11:45 local time, 2400.200 +/-

I look forward to working my two stalwart contacts and anyone else if you can spare a couple of minutes.

Many thanks

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Hi Paul,

Thankyou for the message, it's nice to get some feedback to my posts.

I live in a poor V/UHF/uWave location, so most of my operating is portable by necessity and SOTA is a natural fit.
I see that there are seven nice little hills in the Devon & Cornwall that are in the SOTA association :-

https://www.sotamaps.org/region/G/DC

You may fancy a venture out to them some time in the future.

I use two FT817's, with a SG-Labs transvertor for the up link and a 739 (LNB I.F.) to 2mtr convertor for the downlink from a standard LNB that has a TCXO fitted. The 13cms aerial is a POTY (Google that :) ) the dish is a standard 20cm DATV, cut in half so it can be strapped to a rucsac.
It all runs from one of those little glove box batteries that are used to jump start a cars in an emergency.

Hopefully I'm be able to work you in the future.

Nick G0HIK

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

Work permitting I'll try and listen in on the BATC SDR later today, good luck, hope the conditions are kind to you.

--
Clint. M0UAW IO83

No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Dave Brown

Nick

How big is the dish? 20cm doesn’t sound right looking at the picture. Looks more like 50/60 cm?

Cunning idea, BTW, to chop it in half. Are you still using the original rear mount bracket to hold both halves?

73

Dave ZL3FJ

[...]

Whoops, yes you are quite correct, its a 60cm dish. Set upon with a jigsaw, it is on its original mount, I use four 5mm screws and wing nuts to hold the dish to.
Next time I set it up, if I remember I'll take a picture.

I can't claim originality to cut it in half. I found one on eBay that was a caravaning kit from Aldi I think. But when is arrived it was far too heavy to backpack with, so I just cut up a dish I had.

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Many thanks to all who took the time to work me today.

A very busy day on QO-100, 14 QSO's in 90 mins, I manged to exhaust my battery for the first time, with OP's still calling me.

Special thanks to G3TCU and G3VKV for always being there :) and GM4VFL/P for the QO-100 Summit to Summit contact.

See you soon.

Nick G0HIK