Topics

QO-100 and SOTA this morning 14th Oct

Nick Gregory G0HIK

I'm going to be on QO-100 this morning from SOTA Rayrigg Forrest in the Lakes.

Around 11:00 local  +/- 2400.200 .
It will be great to work my usual contacts and any new ones.

73's

Nick G0HIK

Paul Randall G3NJV

Nick, I listened in this morning using the Goonhilly SDR. Heard you working several stations.
Is there a reason netting on the satellite is so bad? Some stations off by a kHz. Tx/Rx
Also interesting that apart from you, almost everyone on there was speaking German.
I was amazed in the hour I listened, to hear so few stations. SDR showed quite a few "odd" carriers, sweeps, blobs, but as I said, apart from you, the only other stations heard were from Germany.
With such a big chunk of the globe covered, I found this a bit odd.
Perhaps it livens up at other times.
What do others hear?
Paul G3NJV

Colin Ranson

Paul,   Agree most users seem to be German but I have heard one South American and a smattering of British.  Some Italians and other Europeans but are few and far between.   Is it because QO-100 is an Amsat -DL project ?

I’ll get back on the satelite soon, been rather busy.

Regards,   Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Nick, I listened in this morning using the Goonhilly SDR. Heard you working several stations.
Is there a reason netting on the satellite is so bad? Some stations off by a kHz. Tx/Rx
Also interesting that apart from you, almost everyone on there was speaking German.
I was amazed in the hour I listened, to hear so few stations. SDR showed quite a few "odd" carriers, sweeps, blobs, but as I said, apart from you, the only other stations heard were from Germany.
With such a big chunk of the globe covered, I found this a bit odd.
Perhaps it livens up at other times.
What do others hear?
Paul G3NJV

Dave - G4RQI

Hello,

Perhaps the DL’s are just more active... this year I have worked on SSB/CW HS, 4X, FR, ZS, HZ, V55, PY, 5B4, 9K2, TR8, ST, and yes a few DL’s too so other countries are active... As I was switching off tonight GU6EFB was working a PY.

73 David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Nick, I listened in this morning using the Goonhilly SDR. Heard you working several stations.
Is there a reason netting on the satellite is so bad? Some stations off by a kHz. Tx/Rx
Also interesting that apart from you, almost everyone on there was speaking German.
I was amazed in the hour I listened, to hear so few stations. SDR showed quite a few "odd" carriers, sweeps, blobs, but as I said, apart from you, the only other stations heard were from Germany.
With such a big chunk of the globe covered, I found this a bit odd.
Perhaps it livens up at other times.
What do others hear?
Paul G3NJV

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to have a listen Paul.
I don't know why there are so many Germans, but I'm sure glad that they speak very good English.
 I don't have a spectrum scope, so I was unaware there were so few stations on. I've been told that a week day is not the busiest time on the satellite, which makes sense. I cant really go out portable later in the day and I usually do other things at weekends.
As Dave pointed out there are plenty of other countries represented, I've got PY, YO, R, SV,IT9,ZS and many more in the log.
I have found netting hard, I usually stay on one frequency and let stations come to me. I guess the difficulty is comparing the natural pitch of your voice to the the other stations voice. That doesn't explain why some stations come on a couple of kHz away though.
I'd love to know how to do it correctly.

I'm hoping to be out on another SOTA this morning, High Rigg near to Keswick around 11:15 local time.

Nick G0HIK

Graham G3VKV

Hi Nick,
Missed you on your last couple of outings,
During the night QO100 is usually empty - starts to shut down when Europe goes to bed !!
I use a modified Octagon + GPSDO 1249MHz IF  - modified Kuhne 2320 kit transverter +GPSDO
up from 144MHz  - driven by an Icom 9700 in satellite mode (injected reference oscillator)
All tuning with one control - KHz  on dial same on up/down   poty feed + 70cm prime focus
Cheaper way would be to use a Pluto + GPSDO  and referenced LNB (but then you would need a computer)

Graham G3VKV